• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smoking should it be banned?

Array

Paul

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:39 PM

I know this is a burning issue which most people feel strongly about

So what is your opinion?

I personally think its a disgustin, stinking, dangerous habit which needs to be sorted once and for all!

It should definitely be banned in public places, and if those who smoke have respect for other people they will make an effort to stop smoking around them as it damages their health as well, I have asthma through passive smoking from mhy parents when I was just 7(they have kicked the habit now). The smell is disgusting and u automatically know if som1 is a smoker, eg on a bus when sum1 who smokes sits nxt to u, yuck!

Shandogg

superstar

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:34 PM

yeah i think that smoking should be banned.
It really does ma head and i refuse to go in places where people are smoking i just go elsewhere!

james1

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:06 PM

from a health point of view smoking should definitely be banned

people have the right to not inhale poisons so why is it legal in the first place i think

question: why is it illegal to take drugs but its not illegal to smoke which can affect others around you? discuss.

Lesley

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:22 PM

i absolutely detest smoking, it is foul dry.gif I hate the way it clings to my hair and my clothes, I hate the fact that so many idiotic first years light up to look cool, I hate neds asking you to buy fags for them and more than anything i hate the fact that my Grandad (god bless him) died of lung cancer.I jsut hate it. I really cannot understand people who start to smoke these days with the numerous health warnings that are displayed eg SMOKING KILLS which is shown on every packet. i mean for goodness sake cant they read hte packet. it KILLS you!!!!!

I think it should be banned in public if that wasn't clear.

Although personal freedom and all that jazz has to be taken into account....

strosek911

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:25 PM

there should b more action against under age ppl smokin

Allan

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:32 PM

Smoking should definitely be banned in public places - but du think it'd work?

Smoking's banned on all Scottish trains and the subway, First bans smoking on their buses, smoking's banned in the cinema, many shopping centres (e.g. Braehead, EastKilbride, Buchanan Galleries, Stirling) have banned smoking. But does this work? In all these places, I still encounter people smoking despite the ban. No one ever tries to stop them! Anyone else find the same coz it does my head in. Stupid wee neds who think they're cool mad.gif

Personally, I hate smoking, it's dangerous, selfish and it stinks. So yeah, I think smoking should be banned, but it needs to be properly enforced otherwise there won't be much point. Sort out the buses first please, then deal with everywhere else!

Lesley

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(Allan @ Oct 13 2004, 08:32 PM)
Smoking's banned on all Scottish trains and the subway, First bans smoking on their buses

View Post

The bus driver's smoke themselves half the time dry.gif

Dave

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:56 PM

smoking should be banned but unfortunity for this to work we need the support if smokers themselves to be respectful of others which in todays society is unlikily. having said that of course when you look at say reporting scotland there are many smokers who say they would observe bans in pubs etc and say they already try to stop others breathing their smoke. So we have hope even if one man of around 50 said:

"People say smoking is anti-social but those that want to ban smoking in my pub are the anti-social ones" blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Paul

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:01 PM

I kno that this is near impossible, but we need summin to encourage smokers to quit....but wot on earth can u do, it was financially be a disaster as there are soooo many smokers! The reason I say this is because the warnings and consequences arent acting as a deterrant! If an advert showing som1 havin a heart attack or a baby inhalin smoke wont stop them, wot will?!

I hate when u walk by som1 in the street and they smoke smacks u in the face like a fryin pan! Its sooo filthy!

Shandogg

Dave

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:45 PM

the poll is looking good tho so thats got to be a good thing

Ally

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:27 PM

Smoking is disgusting and should definitely be banned.

It is the main cause of lung cancer, which has the most deaths out of all cancers. Due to passive smoking, a couple of hundred unnecessary deaths result each year.

Ally

Posted 14 October 2004 - 06:55 PM

I feel my new avator is appropriate to this thread. biggrin.gif

Paul

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:09 PM

could we get this poll sent to the scottish parliament when we get a remarkable number of replies....just a suggestion?

Shaun

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:58 AM

The government knows that it's bad but they don't care - neither to the people who actually manufacture the cigarettes - all they care about is the money that they make - and that includes the government.

What I say:

Hike the price of cigarettes to 25 pounds a packet, and see who buys them then!

Paul

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(fearfactor47 @ Oct 15 2004, 11:58 AM)
The government knows that it's bad but they don't care - neither to the people who actually manufacture the cigarettes - all they care about is the money that they make - and that includes the government.

What I say:

View Post

great idea, that would mean the government receive more money by doin so tho?

I think if they went up 2 £25, you would get ppl goin 2 france and even makin their own and sellin them for like £6, that would be an immediate profit making scheme with there being so many addicts!

Shandogg

Justboy

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:22 PM

Yup, i hate it, ban it.

linds

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:25 PM

I'm going to be contra- hang on, I can't spell it. That word that means... ooh, spellcheck... "Controversial". Yes, I'm going to be that.

I know it smells. I know it's bad for your health.

But imagine going into a pub where you could actually see one another across the room.

Not that any of us go into pubs.

Seriously, though, I don't like the smell of smoke. My Grandpa has smoked since he was about 14 and he's paying for it. He's coughing ALL the time.

My Gran had smoked for years and years and she died of a heart attack, caused by a smoking-related heart disease.

It's not a good idea. But even if it's banned, people will still do it. Look at drugs. How many people do you know that think it's fun to get stoned out of their face, even though it's very illegal?

Allan

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Shandogg @ Oct 15 2004, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE(fearfactor47 @ Oct 15 2004, 11:58 AM)

What I say:

View Post

great idea, that would mean the government receive more money by doin so tho?

I think if they went up 2 £25, you would get ppl goin 2 france and even makin their own and sellin them for like £6, that would be an immediate profit making scheme with there being so many addicts!

Shandogg

View Post

yeah you'd get a black market developing then, unless they went up that much internationally, which would never happen

Paul

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:22 PM

They wouldnt still smoke. Eg in ireland, it is really successful. Pubs get a massive fine and warnin if there is ppl smokin inside, so they dont take the chance and ban smoking...in ireland, pubs n cafes all have tables outside under those big canvas things, so ppl can go outside...there is one disadvantage, the streets were full of fag doubts!

Shandogg

Ally

Posted 16 October 2004 - 07:17 PM

I think this might be a controversial issue but do you think that smokers should be treated on the NHS?

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic