• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to study Higher Maths? :S

SocksGalore

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hi,

I'm currently doing my 5 highers at college and I've recently left school (hated it lol). I only done G/F maths, but I'm applying for Chemistry @ Uni this year so I decided to take on a challange and do Higher Maths. At first it was mind boggling; in college you kinda have to take responsiblity for your own learning...which is a nightmare for maths.

I did pretty well on my first NAB, passed all outcomes and only lost 2 marks throughout the whole thing, and they were just silly mistakes. I'm predicted B.

The thing is, I have no clue how to study it. I've tried using my Maths in Action book, and that's just horrid for such a challenging course. I've ordered the HSN PP book + multiple choice serial numbers...they are quite good but I'm ready for past papers yet.

I've bought the Heineman Higher Maths book on amazon. I heard it was good.

So, how do you study for maths? :unsure:

Amanda H

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:34 AM

View PostSocksGalore, on 07 January 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

Hi,

I'm currently doing my 5 highers at college and I've recently left school (hated it lol). I only done G/F maths, but I'm applying for Chemistry @ Uni this year so I decided to take on a challange and do Higher Maths. At first it was mind boggling; in college you kinda have to take responsiblity for your own learning...which is a nightmare for maths.

I did pretty well on my first NAB, passed all outcomes and only lost 2 marks throughout the whole thing, and they were just silly mistakes. I'm predicted B.

The thing is, I have no clue how to study it. I've tried using my Maths in Action book, and that's just horrid for such a challenging course. I've ordered the HSN PP book + multiple choice serial numbers...they are quite good but I'm ready for past papers yet.

I've bought the Heineman Higher Maths book on amazon. I heard it was good.

So, how do you study for maths? Posted Image

I always went through the whole course topic by topic, made notes on the important info and write an example of each type of question. This shouldn't take too long, it should mainly consist of equations and diagrams with a comment beside them and not huge paragraphs of writing. This is good to then refer to if you need a reminder of how to do a certain question. Just try to keep it neat and make sure what you're writing down is correct. Make sure you understand how to do a question and get help if you don't before writing it in your notes.

Once you understand things it's a case of doing questions to make sure you remember how to do it correctly. With past papers I would do one, mark it and then look through where you went wrong and why. From this you'll know what you need to work more on. I suggest you focus on sorting any problems out (i.e. revisting that section in the textbook) before attempting more past papers only to repeat the same mistake. Although I left past papers till it was time to do prelims and exams just so I didn't find myself repeating the same ones. They're obviously the best way to revise for an exam so I think it's important to leave at least a couple of those to do as prep for the final exam.

I used the Heineman book as well as the Heineman revision book and found those and past papers were the only things I needed.

This is the way I approached it and found it worked but not everyone is the same. If you feel you're getting on ok your own way I wouldn't change things.

Good luck and if you've got any other questions just ask, I've done my fair share of maths. Posted Image

password

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:25 AM

get a copy of mathematica or something like that and play about with manipulating and graphing functions to let you get a feel for what you are actually doing when you are doing your mathmatical manipulation :)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic