• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best higher books-urgent-

mr_scholes

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

Hi

I'm about to do the sqa highers this year for chemistry. biology, physics and maths, and I'm just wondering what are the best and most useful books, that summarises the whole course without irrelevant stuff.

Please help!!

Amanda H

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

When I was doing higher maths I found 'Heinemann Revise for Higher Mathematics' was the best. It covers each topic separately as well as providing practice NABs for each unit and a couple of whole course tests. It covers all the basics without any unecessary stuff although I felt it doesn't cover the harder questions. If you're aiming for an A then you should be using a variety of resources so to test yourself on the harder questions you're probably better usings past papers and asking your teacher for help if you need it.

No book is perfect and I felt that this one was the best revision book I had for any subject.

mr_scholes

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Thanx for the reply, bu what aboust the rest, any suggestions??

Amanda H

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

Well I didn't do higher chemistry or biology so I can't help you there, sorry.

For physics I had 'New Higher Physics' by Adrian Watt. Although I found this was the type of book you mentioned you wanted to avoid, it's full of extra stuff that you don't really need. If you're trying to look something up it took forever to find it or some of the stuff you need to know isn't even there. I also had 'Revision notes for Higher Physics', again not great. Can't really recommend a book that you should definitely get. For standard grade I had the physics book from the Success guide which I found good, not sure if the higher version is good or not, they didn't do a higher version when I sat the exam. It might be worth taking a look at it or asking around to see if anyone else has it.

A final tip on revision books in general is just because a certain publisher makes a good book for one subject it doesn't mean their books on other subjects are good. I found this with the Leckie & Leckie books at standard grade, good for maths but not so good for physics. If you had a good book for standard grade, the first book I would try would be the higher book from the same publisher.

As before, I'll say for all subjects it's best to use a variety of resources because it would be rare to find a perfect book for any exam.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic