• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what did you think of this years exam-2009? to discuss the ups and downs of this years exam

Pod~Tastic

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

i thought the close reading was ok- a lot better than other years
my downfall had to be the critical essay, really bad questions i thought
any other views?

Garden

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

I thought the Reading was brilliantly good - hardly any A or E questions biggrin.gif

Also, the Critical Essay was good as well I thought - "obsessive behaviour" = bells ringing for Othello, "lonliness emotion" = ringringring for the poem I studied ("Havisham" by Carol Ann Duffy)

However I screwed up the essays pretty bad - forgot to answer the second part of the question (ick) so had to rush back and shove in mentions here and there - hopefully enough to avoid an 11 :/

Captain_Strat

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

I think the reading was really good, I finished it early, and it was mostly U questions biggrin.gif
The essay wasn't too bad, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Last time I came out saying "I think that went really well" I failed tongue.gif
I used the Structural Device Question (climax) for All My Sons by Arthur Miller and the Loss question for Havisham by Carol-Ann Duffy

Mattmurr123

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

Yeah i was very surprised how easy the close reading seemed but the essay qustions were horrible especially trying to get my prose to fit (You Touched Me) so im not overly confident but very glad its over and i sure aint taking Advanced Higher!

Matt

Garden

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (Mattmurr123 @ May 18 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah i was very surprised how easy the close reading seemed but the essay qustions were horrible especially trying to get my prose to fit (You Touched Me) so im not overly confident but very glad its over and i sure aint taking Advanced Higher!

Matt

Yeah, that sounds a difficult text to fit into any exam paper. You could have used your Personal Study text?

One of my friend apparently did an essay on the Inbetweeners laugh.gif

Garden

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Captain_Strat @ May 17 2009, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the reading was really good, I finished it early, and it was mostly U questions biggrin.gif

The essay wasn't too bad, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Last time I came out saying "I think that went really well" I failed tongue.gif

I used [...] the Loss question for Havisham by Carol-Ann Duffy

Yeah, same here; U questions are ace eh biggrin.gif

Lol, same biggrin.gif I think it was one of the prelims... I thought I did great in the essays in February - got 15 and 19 laugh.gif

How did you get on with that? I found it more difficult than I thought it would be... unsure.gif

George H

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Not as bad as I thought- I was 2 marks off an A in the prelim and was cursing myself, so I worked extra hard, hopefully it paid off!!

Close reading not too bad, although the last question could've been easier were you just asked to mention ideas rather than ideas and style (I did fine, just took me longer to work out what to write.) The essay wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, despite revising 1 drama, 2 prose and 3 poems I still was able to use the 2 texts from the prelim, which was reassuring since they were my strongest (poetry is my weakest). I also avoided revising the two poem/short story type questions, those were too horrible and I'd revised enough texts anyway.

Heard the pass mark for an A was pretty low, which is quite reassuring I must admit!!

Garden

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (George H @ May 30 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heard the pass mark for an A was pretty low, which is quite reassuring I must admit!!

Whoa, where'd you heard that?!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic