• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

English Prelim Passage on binge drinking???

Amie.. x

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

Hey Guys biggrin.gif

Done my prelim a few weeks ago and the close reading was on binge drinking and its effects>

Did anyone else do this???

I'm wondering because i ended up being the only one in the year to get an A.. although there were a few people just short of it.

Even at that I only just passed the close reading.

My teachers have been saying that they think maybe the wording of the questions was what people found hard.

Anyone heard anything?

Let me know biggrin.gif

Amie x

-x-lynz-m-x-

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

hey smile.gif

i had that passage for my prelim - can't remember much of it as it seems ages ago lol. haven't heard anything about the wording of the questions or people finding it hard. i even found the first question a bit hard (if i remember right - have done so many) and that was a bit of a downer lol but i managed to get 34 1/2 for it (thinks that's a B) so i was chuffed with that biggrin.gif

i'll say if i hear anything.

x

Inkblood

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

i done that to

i thought it was awful sad.gif

i done really badly

but apparently it was done badly across the board in all the schools that done it

jamestodd9

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

yea our school had that prelim i did average in it but only managed to get a c because of my poor critical essays but luckily i got enought in the close reading to pass. Across the highers about a 1/3 passed i would say..not done well

Punk Rock Dude

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:36 AM

I had that one too. Failed sad.gif
I sooo need help with Higher English
I thought it was pretty easy though.
Maybe it was only easy because i didn't do enough work in the answers.

cobainfan

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:22 PM

I found that paper really hard, but I till ended up with 38, although someone else in my class got 46

spoony2oo8

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

I Did That Passage Also

Got 32

Was Really Pleased With Myself As I Thought I Wasn't Anywhere NEar Passing It So Three Marks Off Of An A Was Amazing.

Just Hope My Exam Goes That Well

laugh.gif

baby-stewie

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

I just failed the close reading, 21 I think, but didn't do the critical essays. I didn't enjoy the paper at all, don't know why, breezed the close reading NAB.

I remember reading about the drunken guys at the time. I went to Zante on holiday the same year in early september & their brawl happened in July, I think. It was a late flight, leaving glasgow & 11.10 & not getting there until 4am. I am no way excusing what they did, they were complete arses. if I was on that flight I would've been petrified as it was my first time flying in 10 years, I'm glad we decided to go on holiday as late as we did!

Xeraii

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

I did that paper, it was a proper bitch. I know what you mean about the first question -x-lynz-m-x-, it was only worth 2 marks but the way it was worded it didn't seem to have any connection to the passage at all. huh.gif

Linzi2011

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

I had that paper, thought I did well in it. Didn't turn out lol

I got 25 for it but it was a pass so I'm happy about id tongue.gif

Discogirl17

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:40 PM

Does everyone know what the U, A and E stands for. This is often why people fail papers (although I've seen this paper and it does look difficult).

U- Understanding- Here you should talk about the content and context of the passage
A- Analysis- Often involves techniques but not always. Otherwise you should look at the precise word choice and its position within the passage.
E- Evaluation- Involves comparison and you should bring personal opinion in here (backed up by quotes and review of techniques)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic