• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SWOT anaylsis Help with applying it to an organisation

chloebw

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:33 AM

Hey I am chloe. i have just started higher business management but I am a wee bt stuck. Hope you can help!

Okay I have a test in calss tomorrow and one of the questions I know will be a case study ( I have a feeling it is on Ikea) and I have to do a swot analysis on it. however I find it really hard applying a SWOT analysis to a real life situation. I know what it all stands for Strengths, weaknesses, oppertunities and threats. Any tips would be great!

Discogirl17

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

Well ok. Lets take the example of IKEA.

Strengths- Cheap, good public image, quick delivery, good value for money (pieces are durable)
Weaknesses- Goods not percieved as high class quality. No customisation available.
Opportunities- Develop a higher quality range
Threats- Competition from other furniture stores

So in summary then for Strengths just look at what the company does well - IKEA sells low value items of furniture which last a long time.

Weaknesses- What doesn't the company do well?- IKEA sells generic items- they are not high class 1 of a kinds

Opportunities- What could the company do?- This is usually answered by what markets they could realistically expand into- IKEA is already international so maybe just a different range to capture a different style of consumer.

Threats- What will stop them in realising these opportunities or in performing as well in their current core business

P.S I dont know that much about IKEA but I hope this demonstrates how you apply SWOT analysis to a real company.

chloebw

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:01 PM

Wow...cheers. Makes a lot more sense now!

Discogirl17

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

It's ok. If you have anymore questions then do not hesitate to message me (as I am one of the business forum moderators).

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic