• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exam 2007

MuffinMuncher

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

This is my next exam but it's not for another two weeks! I'm feeling slightly confident about it cool.gif Also, gives me a few days break from studying biggrin.gif But should start studyin for it pretty soon cause everyone knows chem has so much crap that needs to be learnt. Hope u all have enough time to study for it and good luck thumbsup.gif Hope it's an easy one! But I doubt it cause apparently last year's was supposed to have been easy. ah well. good luck anyhows biggrin.gif xx

Amazoph

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

I'm unlucky enough to be studying Computing as well as Chemistry, so have to revise for Comp and Chem for the next 2 weeks.. but then it'll be over biggrin.gif

Kiltox

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

I also study Computing as well as Chemistry.

Should really be doing a lot of work for Chemistry since I'm doing a crash Higher but I'm still pretty confident, got an A for the prelim smile.gif

floss

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:24 PM

I've got biology on Monday, and then 8 days before chemistry, so not too bad either.

I hope the exam isn't too hard, although our second prelim was supposedly harder than any of the past paper (they used all of the hardest questions from the 90's) and I still passed, so I've got my fingers crossed!

Good luck everyone! thumbsup.gif

celticfcz

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

Just finished accounts have now got 10 odd days to teach myself the whole chemistry course because i know basically nothing so will be studying non stop this week in hope of getting a B.

I just cant get my head around some of the calculations.

Good Luck all - just hope the pass rate isnt as high as last year - I mean 78% for an A??

Arisa

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:02 PM

Yes, my next exam is Chemistry as well, so i just don't bother to revise just now... I still don't understand why Chemistry exam is so late compare to other sciences, also Chemistry is ALWAYS a few days before the exam leave finishes... It's annoying! mad.gif Yeah, I really hope this year's exam wouldn't be so difficult, but not so easy either like Physics. I wish the pass mark would be around 50% and about 70% for A.

Good Luck anyway!! biggrin.gif

xClairex

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

i was going to drop out of chemistry as i failed both my prelims but changed my mind just hope it pays off.

i've got a week to revise so hopefully i can pass really need a B though so i'll need to put in alot of revision its the functional groups that i always get confused with so if i learn them things will be sooooo much easier (heres hoping)

good luck to everyone sitting the exam hopefully its an easy year smile.gif

ginneswatson

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(xClairex @ May 18 2007, 09:14 PM) View Post
i was going to drop out of chemistry as i failed both my prelims but changed my mind just hope it pays off.

i've got a week to revise so hopefully i can pass really need a B though so i'll need to put in alot of revision its the functional groups that i always get confused with so if i learn them things will be sooooo much easier (heres hoping)

good luck to everyone sitting the exam hopefully its an easy year smile.gif

You've probably seen it already but the Unit 2 Flow Diagram, available in the Higher Chemistry Free Notes section of this website, is an invaluable tool in helping to revise functional groups and the reactions of these functional groups.

I produced a similar diagram a few years ago. My one has the 'advantage' that it also lists the reagents/conditions needed for each reaction. Sometimes questions ask for this or you need to recognise the reagent to allow you to identify the reactant/product. If you want a copy I'll put a copy on my website and you can download from there or e-mail me and I'll send a copy. I've seen people attach files to their posts but haven't been able to see how they do it. Any (foolproof) instructions?
Generally speaking, Unit 2 is worth targeting. If you can learn the reactions, the questions are often relatively easy. In particular, a lot of marks can be made if you know the Oxidation pathways; primary alcohol to aldehyde to acid (to ester) and secondary alcohol to ketone. Always a popular source of questions.

Best of luck. Chemistry is hard but they have made it 'easier' to reach 50% (which is fair). The downside is that they have to demand more from A candidates candidates (hence 78%). As I've said in previous posts, most pupils who get A's in their school exams (regardless of pass mark) seem to reach the 78%. wink.gif

xClairex

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(ginneswatson @ May 19 2007, 11:00 AM) View Post
You've probably seen it already but the Unit 2 Flow Diagram, available in the Higher Chemistry Free Notes section of this website, is an invaluable tool in helping to revise functional groups and the reactions of these functional groups.

I produced a similar diagram a few years ago. My one has the 'advantage' that it also lists the reagents/conditions needed for each reaction. Sometimes questions ask for this or you need to recognise the reagent to allow you to identify the reactant/product. If you want a copy I'll put a copy on my website and you can download from there or e-mail me and I'll send a copy. I've seen people attach files to their posts but haven't been able to see how they do it. Any (foolproof) instructions?
Generally speaking, Unit 2 is worth targeting. If you can learn the reactions, the questions are often relatively easy. In particular, a lot of marks can be made if you know the Oxidation pathways; primary alcohol to aldehyde to acid (to ester) and secondary alcohol to ketone. Always a popular source of questions.

Best of luck. Chemistry is hard but they have made it 'easier' to reach 50% (which is fair). The downside is that they have to demand more from A candidates candidates (hence 78%). As I've said in previous posts, most pupils who get A's in their school exams (regardless of pass mark) seem to reach the 78%. wink.gif

usually theres an attach file option but i dont see it here :S

im getting a bit better at remembering the oxidation pathways still get a little confused though

that would be much appreciated thanks

ginneswatson

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

You can get the files here; http://homepage.mac.com/ginneswatsonkelso/.

Called Higher Functional Groups and Higher Reaction Pathways.

Hope they help. rolleyes.gif

xClairex

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

thank you

much clearer than the notes i have smile.gif

celticfcz

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(ginneswatson @ May 19 2007, 11:34 PM) View Post
You can get the files here; http://homepage.mac.com/ginneswatsonkelso/.

Called Higher Functional Groups and Higher Reaction Pathways.

Hope they help. rolleyes.gif

thanks its great - ten times better than my notes also!!

x Becca x

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:35 PM

Those notes are great. Thanks.
This will be my last exam woohoo
Can't wait til theyre all over =]

MuffinMuncher

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

Ooft I'm just starting on studying chemistry today. I was planning on taking a days break but it sorta turned into five days pinch.gif. Ah well.

And this is the last exam for most people except me! I have art two days after it. But art's never a problem, just learn my essays and I'll be alright.

Good luck with chemistry everyone! x

xClairex

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:27 AM

hehe but we all need a good break lol

got modern studies tomorrow so im going to have a break tomorrow night then start revising chemistry again on wed.

jamien

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Well i'm absolutely shitting it about the chem exam on tuesday

Working all day tomorrow and saturday so can't study any of those days

Teachers a complete arsehole and i want to prove him wrong n get a A/B, only problem is i can't do anything like molar volumes or most other mole ratio calculations, not at the minute anwyay blink.gif

xClairex

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:56 PM

just look at your notes and try some examples if you still cant get it then i'll be happy to help ya (calculation is about the only thing i can do right now lol)

verticalforce

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

I haven't even started studying chemistry yet..rofl... been reading computing and was surprised to find the amount of things needed to memorise!

xClairex

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

chemistry is my last exam

i know this is a bit off topic but when is your computing exam?

verticalforce

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(xClairex @ May 22 2007, 11:11 PM) View Post
chemistry is my last exam

i know this is a bit off topic but when is your computing exam?

Monday, just before Chemistry.

SQA is a bitch.

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic