• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Subject problems!

babeasc

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

Just wonderng if anyone else was having lots of difficulty to get the subjects they want to do next year.
I'm having to do a lot of dealing and whatnot to get just 3 subjects I want.

Adv. Drama in my school.
Higher Latin, but having to self teach because its in the same column as Adv. Drama
Higher Computing, but trying to get to do it at college because in the same column as Adv. Drama

wanted to do Higher RMPE as well, but guess what?? Its in the same column as Adv. Drama!

Sheesh!

Anyone got any opinions on going out of school to do one or more of your subjects?

Mikey

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

Yeah i sort of do to. I wanted to do Higher Computing as well as Hospitality but i guess i had to sacrifice Hosp and do Computing instead as it's more important for me

floss

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

My school's quite small, and so quite often Advanced Higher classes don't run. When we did our option forms last month, my biology teacher didn't comment as to whether or not I could do Adv. Biology, but it turned out it was only cause the SMT didn't think there was going to be class. I spent 2 weeks tryng to persuade them to let me take it, seeing as I'm the only person who wants to and I'm planning on doing Zoology when I leave, and so they finally gave in =). I had a couple of clashes last year, music and history (chose history but changed to music) and chemistry and french (took chemistry and taking french next year). Btw, Babeasc, do you have a latin teacher in your school, or are you completely self-taught? I'm the only person who does Latin in my school, but at least we have a teacher, I would imagine that teaching yourself Latin would be pretty difficult?

ad absurdum

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Going out of school to do a subject is difficult. My sister done this with advanced biology when she was in 6th year (although she did only stay for a couple of weeks). The school gave her free taxis to the nearest other high school (only 5 minutes away though) but in order to get to class at the other school on time she had to leave almost 10 minutes before the end of the previous period and was late coming back to the next class. If you have actual classes before and after you have to go out school this can be a problem. My sister also found it difficult because she didn't know anyone at the other school (and there's a massive hostility between the two towns, so she wasn't exactly made welcome).

Saying that, if advanced Drama is the only subject you'll have to go to class for then it might not be as much of a problem. If you are lucky, then you will just cut short free periods.

FJ, Latin is a much easier language to self-teach than modern European ones (although it's far from easy).

smb

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

Open/flexible Learning is always an option.

When I was in 6th year, Adv. Art clashed with Higher French so the school suggested I did French through open/flexible learning. Basically meant I did my Higher French outside of school with Stevenson College in Edinburgh. All gthe materials were sent out, a tutor phoned me once a week and I could email as much as I wanted if I needed help. There was also a teacher in the school that overlooked things to see that I was doing ok and she was always there if I needed help. Also, I sat the exam in my school. Only met the tutor face-to-face twice!!

Pros
No classes
You have control over when you work/how much you work
No rushing to hand in homework!
One-to-one teaching

Cons
Need good self discipline. If not, you'll fall behind.
Dont have the benefit of being in a class and actually hearing things taught to you (for languages this is NEEDED)

Personally I liked open learning but I think I might have done better had I been in a class and getting the stuff continually taught to me every day.

babeasc

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(F.J @ Apr 11 2007, 02:12 PM) View Post
My school's quite small, and so quite often Advanced Higher classes don't run. When we did our option forms last month, my biology teacher didn't comment as to whether or not I could do Adv. Biology, but it turned out it was only cause the SMT didn't think there was going to be class. I spent 2 weeks tryng to persuade them to let me take it, seeing as I'm the only person who wants to and I'm planning on doing Zoology when I leave, and so they finally gave in =). I had a couple of clashes last year, music and history (chose history but changed to music) and chemistry and french (took chemistry and taking french next year). Btw, Babeasc, do you have a latin teacher in your school, or are you completely self-taught? I'm the only person who does Latin in my school, but at least we have a teacher, I would imagine that teaching yourself Latin would be pretty difficult?

Yeah, we have a Latin teacher in our school rolleyes.gif theres no way I could do latin all by my self! I have to self teach, but he's there for support and supplementary teaching. Hes got a CD rom or something to teach me the translation stuff, the interpretation stuff is all in the library and yeah - he's there when i need him.

Hmmm sounds like you were quite lucky - the problem is theres major timetable change afoot, and we're also changing to a different number of periods per week and the like, and the current 4th years have already chosen their highers so there isnt really much room for change sad.gif

Oooo Zoology that sounds interesting.

I don't know anyone who has ever enjoyed history biggrin.gif

babeasc

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Apr 11 2007, 05:14 PM) View Post
Open/flexible Learning is always an option.

When I was in 6th year, Adv. Art clashed with Higher French so the school suggested I did French through open/flexible learning. Basically meant I did my Higher French outside of school with Stevenson College in Edinburgh. All gthe materials were sent out, a tutor phoned me once a week and I could email as much as I wanted if I needed help. There was also a teacher in the school that overlooked things to see that I was doing ok and she was always there if I needed help. Also, I sat the exam in my school. Only met the tutor face-to-face twice!!

Pros
No classes
You have control over when you work/how much you work
No rushing to hand in homework!
One-to-one teaching

Cons
Need good self discipline. If not, you'll fall behind.
Dont have the benefit of being in a class and actually hearing things taught to you (for languages this is NEEDED)

Personally I liked open learning but I think I might have done better had I been in a class and getting the stuff continually taught to me every day.

Hmmm...I am quite disciplined but im not sure i could respond to open learning - i think i need (slightly) more structure than just doing it all myself at this stage. I could maybe do it with computing because the only bit that I think I'm gonna need major tuition in is the programming simply because im told theres a bit of a jump, but i think if the college option is there, i'll go for that.

Ta much for the idea tho

Yan

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

Hmm I hate clashes, for my highers I had a clash which meant I had to take maths at Stevenson college... it's really weird being there, and none of my friends go either, so it's kinda boring, I really don't like going.

Umm yeah my friend has a clash of Adv. German, History and Art, they're all in the same column, she can't even go to college to do them cause guess what? They're also in the college column. She's having to do history at another school, and then take adv. maths instead and do art at school, which is such a shame 'cause she's good at all of them.

I think self-teaching would be a good idea if like miss macleod says you can self-discipline yourself to work! I wouldn't be able to hehe

ScoobyDoo

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

I was wanting to take Higher PE SOOOO badly for 6th year next year and I also had my heart set on AH Chemistry (I plan on doing something chemistry-like at Uni) and the columns were fine for me so I picked both of them...

THEN...

A girl (the biggest "swot" in the entire school) complained about the columns to our head teacher saying she wanted them changed because she wanted to do 5 AHs (Yes, really, 5!) so he did it and put H PE in with AH Chem....I was so angry!! So I have to take Sports leadership (PE without an exam) instead.... mad.gif

Ranana_ALMORY

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:20 AM

I know a similar posts was posted earlier in the year. I will be planning to take CSET Single Subject in Social Science in September. Could anyone please recommend any books that will help me get through this test? Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.

Ken

spacepirate

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Apr 11 2007, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats really interesting, cause my school wont let me take my subject combination, so how did u go about doing the whole Stevenson college thing? did it cost anything? and what happened when it came to exams and everything?

Sorry bout all the questions, im just curious laugh.gif

EDIT: im new/how do i quote? :S

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic