• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scottish Elections '07 Who will you/would you vote for?

Array

Scott

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(titan @ May 3 2007, 08:26 PM) View Post
Today i voted for the first time, i really tried to get into my politics, and i suceeded, i voted labour for scottish parliament and constiency one also my 123 was only filled with two, i voted labour and lib dem's. im very interested in REALLY understanding politics, i try so hard and i get the jist but so many intracassies(dont know if thats the right spelling) just cover the main themes,i sent away for an SSp starter pack as i agree with a lot of things in there memorandum, however i even found myself agreeing with most points in the BNp memorandum blink.gif so i think that just goes to show us that all the parties are reasonably mainstream, the one thing when it comes to voting, is, do you trust the people (or at least more than the opposition) to carry out the policies that they have "promised".

ALSO, i think it is extremely arrogant to post comments stating that you are lazy and cannot be bothered to vote, DEAR GOD how difficult is it ?!?!?! someone said " i dont want to waste my vote because i dont know what theyre all about..." WELL my retort to that one is...DO YOU NOT OWE IT TO YOUR COUNTRY AND FELLOW SCOTTISH PEOPLE TO FIND OUT THIS INFORMATION AND SPEND A VERY LITTLE AMOUNT OF TIME ACKNOWLEDGING THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO CHANGE THIS COUNTRY FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE ! So dont even bother coming up with excuses about not knowing what they stand for,because thats just SH*^e !! TITAN

Were you too arrogant, lazy or not bothered to use proper spelling, grammar or case in that post!?

Oh, I voted for Lib Dem in both columns. They were also first choice.

linds

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(titan @ May 3 2007, 08:26 PM) View Post
ALSO, i think it is extremely arrogant to post comments stating that you are lazy and cannot be bothered to vote, DEAR GOD how difficult is it ?!?!?! someone said " i dont want to waste my vote because i dont know what theyre all about..." WELL my retort to that one is...DO YOU NOT OWE IT TO YOUR COUNTRY AND FELLOW SCOTTISH PEOPLE TO FIND OUT THIS INFORMATION AND SPEND A VERY LITTLE AMOUNT OF TIME ACKNOWLEDGING THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO CHANGE THIS COUNTRY FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE ! So dont even bother coming up with excuses about not knowing what they stand for,because thats just SH*^e !! TITAN

Calm your pants, love. I merely chose not to vote. Just as about half the population will have. It's a fact of life, a lot of people don't vote. And we should. I know we should. But still a lot of people don't.

Dave

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:34 AM

watching the elections results and here is my issue...all the rejected papers.

Now, apparently we think people are using numbers for the scottish election and crosses for the other one. Apparently morons on the tv see this as a national disgrace however if someone is so stupid as to screw this up then i dont think there opinion and hence vote should be consider since blatently they are complete morons. Course, this could be cos i am in a bad mood since SNP got in over here and labour are out sad.gif

Alz

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE(BBC News @ May 4 2007, 06:42 AM)
Rejected Papers:

Airdrie and Shotts 1,536
Cumbernauld and Kilsyth 803
Dumfries 1,006
Dundee East 913
Dundee West 978
Glasgow Anniesland 1,736
Glasgow Baillieston 1,850
Glasgow Kelvin 1,195
Inverness East 1,249
Motherwell and Wishaw 970
Shettleston 2,035

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6622379.stm

Damn. o_O

Cooooome ooooon, SNP-Scotland.

bred

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:29 AM

Very tight between Labour and SNP to see who will be the largest party. I notice SNP gained Fife Central next door but despite a decent swing to SNP, Labour retained their seat here in Kirkcaldy. Just a bit too much of a Labour stronghold. In Airdrie and Shotts Monklands Hospital clearly gained a lot of votes for the SNP but it was even more of a mountain to climb there with Labour having a 35.7% majority in 2003 (reduced to 5.3%). Nicola Sturgeon got in, making Govan the only non-Labour seat in Glasgow. Tories gained Roxburgh & Berwickshire. Dundee West also SNP gain. I think those are the most interesting seats for me so far. There are still many seats to come in likely to go to SNP (e.g. Western Isles) but Labour strongholds also still out there (e.g. Livingston).

bred

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

Western Isles has indeed become an SNP gain from Labour.

ermd

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 4 2007, 04:34 AM) View Post
Course, this could be cos i am in a bad mood since SNP got in over here and labour are out sad.gif

Same for my constituency - SNP take it from Labour by 48 votes!

bred

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

Shame that Tommy Sheridan didn't get in. If Sheridan had stayed with the SSP he would probably have kept his seat. Solidarity and SSP votes combined came to 5.3% or 5.4%. Bunch of dafties in Mid Scotland and Fife: 2,620 votes for the BNP.

bred

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

And 26.7% turnout in Mid Scotland and Fife?http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/vote...regions_map.stm Wtf?!

Lesley

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

A few points..

- Only 50% of people could be arsed voting (disgrace!) and around 100,000 of those didn't even fill the damn thing in correctly.

- The helicopters aren't working!

- boats are breaking down!

- The counting machines are shit!

- Votes are suspended left,right and centre.

- Crazed man attacks ballot box with golf club and rips up some voting slips.

- Fights at other polling stations

In summary, FARCE! But, what else did we expect, eh?

Alz

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 4 2007, 02:22 PM) View Post
Bunch of dafties in Mid Scotland and Fife: 2,620 votes for the BNP.

Crap, sorry. That was me and my pals having a laugh. tongue.gif

QUOTE(bred @ May 4 2007, 11:29 AM) View Post
but Labour strongholds also still out there (e.g. Livingston).

SNP got Livingston. Labour got Linlithgow.

bred

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:34 PM

I know! Good result in the town I was brought up in and bodes well for the SNP.

bred

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(Lesley @ May 4 2007, 03:01 PM) View Post
A few points..

- Only 50% of people could be arsed voting (disgrace!) and around 100,000 of those didn't even fill the damn thing in correctly.

The turnout figures exclude those who spoiled their ballot papers deliberately or had their ballot papers rejected for some other reason. Still, that's only an additional 2-3% of those eligible to vote that actually went out and did so.
In summary, FARCE! But, what else did we expect, eh?

To be honest, I expected it to be better than this. Having the three different elections on one day was a recipe for trouble and undoubtedly a mistake.

SNP have also gained Edinburgh East and Argyll & Bute.

Dave

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

tbh i dont think its that much of a farce

The counting machines were counting fine its just in some places somehow someone managed to screw up the act of making each machine talk to every other machine. However, i was thinking because of this election we can now accurately measure the number of stupid people in the country and that number is equal to the number of rejected papers.

Fact that only half the country can be bothered to take 5 mins out there REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY busy lives to vote is a bigger concern which needs to be dealt with. Oh and i nearly forgot apparently people who wanted a postal vote didnt get there vote in the post what is that all about!!

bred

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

Some of them, yeah, like ermdeviation. I got mine about 6 days in advance.

I still find it hard to believe that Mid Scotland and Fife turnout figure, it is terrible!

Just 2 constituencies still to declare. If Edinburgh North & Leith go SNP, which is a big ask but a possibility, that could be crucial. Edinburgh West will stay Lib Dem. SNP will probably get more in the regionals still to declare? For instance, in West Scotland where a lot of the constituency seats went to Labour but the SNP were creeping up percentage wise. If I understand the system correctly. :/

bred

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

West of Scotland regional result in giving 4 more seats to the SNP and putting them ahead of Labour: 40-39! Fu**ing terrible turnout there as well of 27.3%!!

Labour have held Ed. North but LD and SNP look like they will pick up more seats on the list. Looking like SNP biggest party in Scotland.

Dave

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

Will they make a coalition though cos i dont think they can since they anger all other parties

floss

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(Switch @ May 4 2007, 06:43 AM) View Post
QUOTE(BBC News @ May 4 2007, 06:42 AM)
Rejected Papers:

Airdrie and Shotts 1,536
Cumbernauld and Kilsyth 803
Dumfries 1,006
Dundee East 913
Dundee West 978
Glasgow Anniesland 1,736
Glasgow Baillieston 1,850
Glasgow Kelvin 1,195
Inverness East 1,249
Motherwell and Wishaw 970
Shettleston 2,035

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6622379.stm

Damn. o_O

Cooooome ooooon, SNP-Scotland.

Hmmm...that would suggest that none were rejected from my local constituency.
Obviously, I'm not old enough to vote, but I read this little fact in a paper somewhere. If the SNP were successful in separating Scotland, and they wanted to create their own armed forces, every person in Scotland, every man, woman, baby, child - everyone! - would have to give 5. And the resulting total would be enough to build one fighting plane. One. And no-one to command it, plan its flights, pilot it, arm it with ammunition, make the ammunition or repair it. Or make a runway for it. Well you get the point.
I'm impartial at the moment though so please don't jump down my throat for posting this!

x_Jo_x

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:26 PM

I personally think it was a bit silly having elections for the Scottish Parliament at the same time as the consituencies. I would not say that people are "stupid" as such for spoiling papers (by accident). Many people have been used to voting the same technique for years. Adding in the Single Transferable Vote (STV) confused a nummber of people. I had to tell my dad what to put where! I do, howvever, think that the whole election was shambolic and that so many things went wrong yesterday that i'd say that it would be a good idea to do it all again! lol

bred

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 4 2007, 05:02 PM) View Post
Will they make a coalition though cos i dont think they can since they anger all other parties

Doesn't look like they will. Looks like a minority SNP government.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic