• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HELPPPPPPPPPP

stephd1990

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:24 AM

has anyone done/doing higher french?
i have failed my listening and reading nab
what if i dont pass them when i sit them next time round?
i find them so hard
im finding it hard to write 2 essays in the exam just from our dictionary
how can u prepare for them?
im finding french really hard and im thinking about dropping it cause failing things gets ur confidence way down
is it really a hard higher?

loved-up-loon

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:44 PM

French essays are just the luck of the draw in the exam. Directed writing, you just really need to learn 2 or 3 different ones and you should be ok. But chances are youll learn phrases for your speaking that will come in handy for the short essay.

NABs: at my school we get as many chances as we need to pass them, but generally most people (at my school anyway, dunno bout other places) failed their 1st one.

Dont panic, just keep learning phrases, make sure you know how to form the tenses your most likely to be using and youll be fine!!

xpurple_starsx

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

Everyone in my class failed the listening nab first time and about half failed the reading so don't panic!

As for the short essays they are the luck of the draw. But don't panic and just copy things out of the dictionary. Take a minute to think about the question and what words you do know and make a quick plan. Also be careful with your verb structures. It's too easy when you're doing an essay to write utter nonsense like je suis courir for I am running (stupid example but you know what i mean?).

Basically try to learn verb structures well and learn as much vocab as possible. In the listening look at the question and think what the answer could be then even if you didn't hear it at all have a rough guess anyway! French is really hard though so don't worry too much!

John

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

I never did French beyond SG.

But as with any subject, just keep practising and learning what you need to know and you will improve, the more effort you put in, the more improvement you will make.

stephd1990

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

thanks
just done a directed writing and got 12/15 was very pleased
but what if i dont pass the two nabs???
i know i wont get the full course award but will it be accepted as anything in uni?
how many resits are u allowed?
are there any websites or anything that can help?
thanks

xlynsey

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:30 PM

In my old class he said something about 3 resits, they can allow u to have 3 if they think its worth it basically but you should ask your teacher what your school does.

Anyway you seem to be panicking a bit.. and theres one thing i can STRONGLY advise......

Go out and buy the book: higher french course notes with audio cd. BY Brian tempelton and a couple of others.
Its about 15 pounds or something but definitely worth it.

It has loads of phrases for directed writing and tells you exactly what to do, all you have to do is put in the work and learn them well for the exam and you will do good. It also has little reading bits and also listening obviously. But really it is such a good book for the course.

Good luck in your nab resits, we were told they were the same level as the actual exam so thats why they seem harder compared to other subjects.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic