• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Re-sitting Standard Grades ???

dismo

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hi,

Could someone tell me if this is possible?

Thank you.

Discogirl17

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

Dont think so. You would have to do an Int1 (roughly like general) or an Int2 (roughly like credit). Its the same thing (ish) but its a one year course.

John

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

Definitely not possible.

You would need to sit the Int1 or Int2.

Nathan

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:49 AM

to be fair, would you want to resit SGs?

i mean that would involve sitting in a room full of 3rd years in the first year of it...so more than likely they'd be 2 years younger than you and a hell of a lot more immature. tongue.gif:

smb

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

If you have sat your standard grade in 3rd year (they tend to do that nowadays) but fail it, no reason why you couldnt re-sit it in 4th year.

ice_illusion

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:46 PM

I've never heard of that happening. Standard grade in third year? ohmy.gif Really?

Richard_05

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

Some people do it, then do Int 2 in 4th year I think.

Pete

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Jan 6 2007, 10:46 PM) View Post

I've never heard of that happening. Standard grade in third year? ohmy.gif Really?

A guy in my school did his SG in maths in second year. He's in fourth year now, and doing Advanced Higher. Apparently he aced Higher last year...

Alz

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Jan 6 2007, 10:46 PM) View Post

Apparently my school's started some trial doing just that. They sit their SGs in Third Year, so they can spend 4th and 5th year doing one lot of highers over the two years. Sounds funky.

smb

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

My sister is doing it. Has already started Higher English and looking at Higher Drama and is doing Int 2 Spanish after having sat a few of her Standard Grades in 3rd year.

And I sat standard grade art in 3rd year.

st-and Paul

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Jan 7 2007, 11:46 PM) View Post

My sister is doing it. Has already started Higher English and looking at Higher Drama and is doing Int 2 Spanish after having sat a few of her Standard Grades in 3rd year.

And I sat standard grade art in 3rd year.

yep, my old school has almost completely done away with standard grades in most subjects, my old computing teachers run int 1 in 3rd year, int 2 in 4th year followed by higher.

To be honest failing a standard grade is quite difficult especially if you do general/foundation!!

Pete

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Jan 8 2007, 12:24 AM) View Post

To be honest failing a standard grade is quite difficult especially if you do general/foundation!!

I think that's the whole idea behind them, though. It gives the "dumb folk" a solid set of grades to work with to go get a job after they leave school, or to get into college.

xpurple_starsx

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(Switch @ Jan 7 2007, 07:06 PM) View Post

Apparently my school's started some trial doing just that. They sit their SGs in Third Year, so they can spend 4th and 5th year doing one lot of highers over the two years. Sounds funky.

Oh my old school is doing that now. The most awful idea ever. The whole point of highers is that they are hard and you have to learn a lot in a short time period. Giving people two years to sit them means they'll get higher grades and then get into uni and get the shock of their lives! It makes it harder for them in the long run.

I don't get this "lets get everyone into uni" thing. The whole point of uni is that it is hard and that not everyone can do it. Now there are people getting in who can't spell or even do simple sums.

I could rant on about the education system all day.

I have turned into my old teachers.

*SOB*

ice_illusion

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Jan 8 2007, 07:57 PM) View Post

Oh my old school is doing that now. The most awful idea ever. The whole point of highers is that they are hard and you have to learn a lot in a short time period. Giving people two years to sit them means they'll get higher grades and then get into uni and get the shock of their lives! It makes it harder for them in the long run.

I don't get this "lets get everyone into uni" thing. The whole point of uni is that it is hard and that not everyone can do it. Now there are people getting in who can't spell or even do simple sums.

I could rant on about the education system all day.

I have turned into my old teachers.

*SOB*

That's what I'm thinking too.

In my day...

John

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

I think most schools do the fast tracking in a half assed way tbh.

In the case of my old school, they do English in a sensible way, SG Credit in 3rd, Int2 in 4th and Higher in 5th.

But maths is the higher over 2 years, which in my opinion, was taught too slowly over one year in my school.

dismo

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

i emailed some guy from the SQA and he said it would be possible. The only reason I want to re-sit one of my standard grades is cos i got a 2 in it and can't stand having anything but a top grade in every subject. It shouldn't be too hard as i'm doing Higher.

loved-up-loon

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE(John @ Jan 8 2007, 09:45 PM) View Post

But maths is the higher over 2 years, which in my opinion, was taught too slowly over one year in my school.

2 years for higher maths? We had finsihed the whole course before easter last year!!

The Wedge Effect

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

Get over it. A 2 is still a good grade. Who cares?

John

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Jan 9 2007, 08:55 PM) View Post

Get over it. A 2 is still a good grade. Who cares?

I know you are referring to me, and my A2 is nothing to do with feeling it was taught slowly over one year.

They just dragged a topic on and on, without going into great detail about it.

Richard_05

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

I'm prett sure he was talking to dismo, who got a 2 tongue.gif

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic