• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help The Site Grow! How would you develop HSN?

George

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(Shandogg @ Oct 25 2004, 09:22 PM)
notes about going to uni....eg personal statements...i am sure ppl would really appreciate seeing exemplar personal statements as most struggle to think of a structure for it...it would be willing to contribute mines from last year if interested?

wot does every1 think of this idea?

View Post

That sounds good, but it's really beyond our expertise so we run the risk of misleading people. It really would need to be done properly to be useful.

Paul

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:58 PM

well if u dont want to officially do it then a forum should be set up for it headed Personal Statements, this should be a forum only allowing people to post their personal statements... it would allow other users to see other users' personal statements and not reply with anythin bar personal statements

George

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(Shandogg @ Oct 26 2004, 08:58 PM)
a forum should be set up for it headed Personal Statements, this should be a forum only allowing people to post their personal statements... it would allow other users to see other users' personal statements and not reply with anythin bar personal statements

View Post

I'm not sure if there's enough demand for a dedicated forum, and I think there are issues around posting your personal statement on the Internet which have been discussed in another thread. I've also just noticed this thread which has some really helpful information about personal statements.

Perhaps PMs might be more suitable for discussing personal statements? Maybe members who wouldn't mind getting PMs about personal statements (to read over, give suggestions, etc) could post in the thread above, and anyone who wants help can take their pick?

Discogirl17

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:15 PM

No I think we should have notes in the courses section which detail how to write a personal statement. I have ones which you could use. I wrote part of them myself.

Paul

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:15 PM

yeh! listen to your 'customers' George and Steve!

Shandogg

George

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for sharing your ideas, Shandogg and Louise. I do like the idea of personal statement advice; I'm just a bit concerned because that type of advice is incredibly sensitive and I, for one, don't feel qualified to give it.

Thanks also to Shandogg for creating a new thread with a poll about this matter.

On a different note; we will be exhibiting at the Mathematics Teaching Conference held at the University of Edinburgh on November 6th. We're attending to raise the profile of the site among maths teachers, and hopefully they'll recommend the site to other teachers, and their pupils. This is actually quite a big thing for us, and hopefully it will spread the word more (I think there are about 200 teachers attending).

Incidentally, November 6th is the forum's first birthday! Any suggestions about how we could mark the occasion would be welcome smile.gif

Paul

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:55 AM

Kl! let us kno how the teachers find the site! we should see the number of members increase with this conference...perhaps roundabout christmas time and prelim time....

emmm....Birthday, mmm, cant think of anythin just now!

shandogg

Ally

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:15 PM

That exhibition should be a good thing for HSN... it'll spread the word a lot more.

For the HSN birthday, I'm clueless about how we could mark the occasion.

Maybe ... erm... we could have on-line fireworks going across the screen; the birthday being a day after November 5th. What do ya think? No, I hear you say... well... erm... Ah... ok. blink.gif *quickly retracts his crap suggestion* tongue.gif

Discogirl17

Posted 29 October 2004 - 12:24 PM

I think you should put a notice on the site about it being a year old like a wee animination, like ally's suggestion and we should do other stuff too....I'll think about it

Ally

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:34 PM

Another improvement to the forum could be to upgrade it so that maths formulae appear clearer on it, if you know what I mean.

I think you've said before that it can't be done, but I can't really remember.

George

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Nov 1 2004, 06:34 PM)
Another improvement to the forum could be to upgrade it so that maths formulae appear clearer on it, if you know what I mean.

I think you've said before that it can't be done, but I can't really remember.

View Post

There are two threads on this; the original suggestion, which unfortunately can't be acted on, and the semi-solution. The 'mathicons' can be quite useful, and there are also new BBcode tags for superscript and subscript - sup and sub. I think these are quite handy.

If there's a specific problem you think we could fix, let me know biggrin.gif

Discogirl17

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:06 PM

I liked the pumkin u had on yesterday!

George

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:04 PM

Thanks smile.gif

Discogirl17

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:34 PM

R u going to put a firework on for friday?
Also I have a suggestion to expand the forums, I think we should have a forum specifically for Exam/Prelim/NAB tips, ie how to study, you know the kinda stuff you get in PSE about coping with stress.

George

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Nov 3 2004, 12:34 PM)

View Post

The actual anniversary is Saturday, and we've got a special banner for on the forum (which will probably be up for about a week).

As for the suggestion about a new forum - I think we already have that! It's the Revision forum in General Discussion. There are a few threads there, including this one about revision techniques.

strosek911

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:50 PM

i think it needs online notes for more subjects, business subjects and geography have tons of notes for the whole course.

Discogirl17

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(George @ Nov 3 2004, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Nov 3 2004, 12:34 PM)

View Post

The actual anniversary is Saturday, and we've got a special banner for on the forum (which will probably be up for about a week).

As for the suggestion about a new forum - I think we already have that! It's the Revision forum in General Discussion. There are a few threads there, including this one about revision techniques.

View Post

Yeh I noticed that but no thats not what I mean basically its one which includes UCAS form questions, Social questions like racism and stuff, advice on issues like bullying etc, basically a PSE forum but not named that!

Ally

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:29 PM

But stuff like that would fit into the General Chat...

George

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Nov 3 2004, 07:29 PM)
But stuff like that would fit into the General Chat...

View Post

I think so; General Chat should catch all that sort of discussion. The After School forum also covers University/College including UCAS, personal statements etc.

Discogirl17

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:50 PM

Fine sad.gif
I have no more ideas sad.gif

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic