• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help The Site Grow! How would you develop HSN?

smb

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

no way!
im plannign my departure!!

By SPRING CHICKEN i hardly mean myself!!! I mean someone new and able. And at school.

Dave

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

Also think the main problem we have now is getting hits via search engines from people searching for help with a higher or something similar

Pete

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

First off allow me to say how creative the names of the two tribes are tongue.gif

Secondly, for obvious reasons I can't answer on behalf of the staff but I'll chime in my $0.02 (USD, of course) anyway:

QUOTE(miss macleod @ May 17 2007, 02:38 PM) View Post
I know its totally not my place to say anything, but I want to jab at a few obvious points... Just to be annoying ph34r.gif

There does seem to be lack of interest from admins and some mods towards HSN now. Half of them never appear. Yes I know they're busy).

To be fair, you can't expect anybody to hold a solitary website above their own education. All of the staff (as far as I know, anyway) are uni students, most of whom have jobs. That leaves very little time to babysit the site. And anyway, the community is very self-sustaining: we all know each other, we all respect each other (see two points down) and we respect the site and the work that's gone in to it. We rarely have any dire need for moderation: the last time I needed a mod was to trash a topic made by a spambot. I forwarded it to Lindsay and she took care of it, and until that time no member took notice or made a fuss.

But maybe one or two fresh faced spring chickens would be good...I don't know.
In my opinion we have too many mods already. Sure, making a global mod out of an existing mod or two would be nice, but adding more and more when the community is already tightly-knit as it is makes things worse. And anyway, the "Sboon" feel intimidated if the majority of active members are moderators. They like to know that the "Slanigiro" are on the same level as them. More mods == counter-productive.

One thing that is very obvious is that there is a lack of communication between the grannies/grandads of the forum towards those "n00bs" which we all (admittedly very-unoriginally) refer to them as. And thats naaaaaaaaaae gud.

I've never seen anyone bash the newbs. We tend to get newbs on here, and not n00bs: the difference being that n00bs think they know everything and refuse to step in line and learn, while newbs geniunely do not have experience but are willing to learn how to interact with the community, etc. I've always found this community to be very inviting and helpful. In no topic have I ever seen anyone, newbs and regulars alike, be hostile or be intimidated. Sure, we're communicating via a text-based medium and if you don't know the person that you're talking to then their words could be interpreted with a pinch of hostility, but with a little time you come to learn that that's not the case.

Does anyone at schools actually know about the HSN forum? Very few it seems. The forum is not really attracting many new members is it?! There's clearly less people around at exam time like there used to be. You did a "publicity campaign" thingy before did you not? Are you too busy to do it again?

Maybe the whole idea out of date? I wouldn't have thought so...

There are a few schools that know about the board, which is evidenced by the occasional teacher that pops his or her face through the door. I'm sure the constant influx of guests that we get is also school pupils/teachers who just do not feel any reason to register. And why should they? Should we force people to register on a single board just to get more out of education? No. The information available on this site is completely gratis ("free-as-in-beer"), you only need to register to ask a question or to answer one. Or to just join the community, which a lot of people do.

Oh, and I'd just like to add that what Sharon said was not meant to be a personal dig at anyone on here, and I realise that.

smb

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:28 PM

Yes, you know, I agree with you on a lot of things.

ice_illusion

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

I know this isn't terribley helpful but in the library at my school there is a folder entitled HSN notes - maths. We also got given some revision sheets out for maths that had been printed off the site.

On the mod front, I don't think there should be too many either. While it would be great if we had younger mods who posted loads a balance needs to be kept. When I just started the site and everybody all knew each other and half the folk posting were mods it was a bit intimidating. But it's a community and once you've got the general jist of how everything works what used to be intimidating is nice keeps you coming back. It's a balance.
Would be good if we got more traffic but as Dave said, thats the search engine problem. Do you think theres anywhere we could slyly put a link in wikipedia or something?

Pete

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ May 17 2007, 07:55 PM) View Post
Would be good if we got more traffic but as Dave said, thats the search engine problem. Do you think theres anywhere we could slyly put a link in wikipedia or something?

There used to be. It's how I found the place while explaining the concept of the Scottish education system to some American friends. It's been removed now, though, probably due to relevance problems. Also, there is the NPOV policy that Wikipedia has: we cannot add a link to HSN since we are associated with it. You can only edit information regarding any subject if you are not part of it. See the article's history:

20:10, 7 May 2007 Fourohfour (Talk | contribs) (8,139 bytes) (→External links - Removed "Higher Still notes" (www.hsn.uk.net) spam)

And anyway, we could always pimp this thread a bit more in order to focus our efforts.

linds

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

We have too many mods as it is. And some mods who aren't even active any more.

And Sharon, I don't even paint my nails. Believe it of not, there is actually some degree of substance to my being.

sparky

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

While many people are saying we have too many mods - although I am in the group "Moderators", it is only the AH Computing forum over which I can control posts, since I am the subject admin for that.

Therefore I don't actually know how many mod's can control things like 'general chat' etc

bred

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

It tells you on the forum index page. General Chat: "Forum Led by [moderators]: $implĄ_®i˘h, George, Steve, Martin, Shaun, bred, Paul, Lindsay".

ermd

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 18 2007, 12:07 PM) View Post
$implĄ_®i˘h, Martin, Shaun, Paul.

When was the last time anyone saw them around here? =/

Not that it matters - trouble at this forum seems to be so rare to be honest.

smb

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ May 17 2007, 08:23 PM) View Post
We have too many mods as it is. And some mods who aren't even active any more.

And Sharon, I don't even paint my nails. Believe it of not, there is actually some degree of substance to my being.

I know!

For goodness sakes it was a story. Don't be touchy! style_emoticons/default/mad.gif

style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

ice_illusion

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

I liked your story Sharon.

linds

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

Oh, I'm sorry, I was just in a bad mood. You so totally haven't made reference to that before.

Not at all.

I'm now leaving this.

smb

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

Okay. Well since you truly do seem to be offended, apologies are definitely due from my part.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic