• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

whats the answer

paddyb67

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:09 PM

ok, so you would then agree that when talking about a ball you would consider it 'approimately' a sphere and would not consider imperfections in its shape or weight distribution.

you've contradicted yourself so there's no arguement. thanks

John

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

No, as the imperfections in the "sphere" would be taken into consideration by calculating the Random Uncertainty in an experiment and where have I contradicted myself, as I can not see where i have contradicted myself, simply because i have not.

smb

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Dec 5 2006, 10:57 AM) View Post

I have one major question to ask

Why does it actually matter?

You stole my answer dry.gif

Who cares.

Its a real John-type question, that.

John

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Dec 5 2006, 01:32 PM) View Post

QUOTE(dondon @ Dec 5 2006, 10:57 AM) View Post

I have one major question to ask

Why does it actually matter?

You stole my answer dry.gif

Who cares.

Its a real John-type question, that.

I care, simply because i don't have much else to care about lol

smb

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:44 PM

You have a job now though - congratuuuuuuuulations!

John

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:46 PM

It starts in 18 days lol

ermd

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:21 AM

Well, here's another controversial physics quesiton:

A plane (with horizontally firing engines) is on a giant conveyor belt. This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction).

Will the plane ever take off?

John

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ Dec 6 2006, 12:21 AM) View Post

Well, here's another controversial physics quesiton:

A plane (with horizontally firing engines) is on a giant conveyor belt. This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction).

Will the plane ever take off?

Well for a start a plane is a wood smoothing tool tongue.gif

Real Answer:

Only if there is enough air resistance against the Aeroplane.

ermd

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:32 AM

Well, we're assuming there's no wind. So you would need the plane to move relative to the body of air surrounding it?

John

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:35 AM

Air resistance would still exist.

ermd

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:41 AM

Obviously...?

John

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

I'm tired, leave me alone lol

ermd

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

Haha, well how about an answer?!

Will this plane ever take off?

John

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:39 AM

No.

smb

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:59 AM

Maybe.

John

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

That was actually my answer, No, it will not take off as the Aeroplane would be close to stationary, and would not be "cutting through the air" at a fast enough speed (approximately 200MPH iirc) to to leave the ground and fly to the pub.

dondon

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:29 PM

I think personally that the plane would start flying backwards at which point it would create a break in the space time continum and it would turn into a pumpkin.

John

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:37 PM

If you are going to be a smarty pants at least spell continuum correctly tongue.gif

The Wedge Effect

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

No. The engine would probably blow from all the kinetic energy needed just to get the wheel moving constantly.

Edit: Just thought...you're saying that the conveyor belt moves opposite the motion of the plane...*draws diagram and gets back to you*

2nd Edit:

IPB Image

Alright, this confirms what I thought about it. Since the wheel has to move in the opposite direction to the plane motion to move forward, it'd actually move in time with the conveyor belt's motion and accelerate consistently. So despite the conveyor belt motion, I believe the plane would indeed take off.

John

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:42 PM

Since no maximum velocities were never stated, it is assumed that both the aeroplane and conveyor belt have infinite speeds, and are always at the same speed.

Thus, the aeroplane will not have enough air resistance against it to gain an upwards thrust to attain flight.

Edit: No need to assume same speeds(and opposite velocities) as it was stated in the question.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic