• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rural Geography Help

Shaun

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:01 PM

I was wondering if any of the people who have sat Higher Geography will be able to help me!

I'm doing ok in the course, however, we have to copy summary's out the book which we have to learn.

I have managed to remember the methods for shifting cultivation, however I need some help with Intensive Peasant Farming and External Commercial Farming. The notes in the book are just too long, and I would appreciate if a 'human' could explain what they would put for their answer.

Basically, I'm asking what would you say if you were asked this in an exam:

'Choose one of the farming systems below and, referring to an named location, describe and expain the characteristics of the system:

1. Intensive peasant farming
2. Extensive commercial farming.

Thank you for any help in advance.

bred

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:54 PM

It isn't a trick question and basically you'll get marks for any accurate facts about the farming systems. We looked at wet rice farming in SE Asia (eg. Malaysia) for intensive peasant farming; you should describe how the plants are grown in nurseries then transplanted into flooded fields, enclosed with mud banks - bunds etc. For harvesting oxen or water buffalo are used, terracettes are made so steep land can have flat fields, houses have stilts to prevent flood damage etc. You should also probably mention that modern fertilizers and GM crops allow 2 or 3 harvests/year as opposed to one and that plants are generally more resistent to pests. For extensive commercial farming we looked at the American Prairies; they use underground aquifers to get their water and huge sprinkler systems (1/4 mile in diameter with centre-pivot irrigation technology) are used to farm in crop circles, but the aquifers are running dry. Quantities farmed are large but machinery expensive and storms often wipe out crops so profit margins tend to be quite slim. Many old towns in the Prairies have become semi-abandoned due to the movement to cities of farmers to more stable jobs.
Hope I was of some help.

Edited by bred, 23 April 2006 - 10:49 PM.

sparky

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:18 PM

What book do you use for the higher? We got out the "Core Higher Geography" textbook, but it looks so complicated! We just work of sheets our teacher has made up. I am finding the course quite ok just now, we have just finished atmosphere.

Shaun

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:23 PM

We use lots of books, but notibly one by David Waugh and a book called Human Geography or something...

Shaun

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:52 PM

Thank you Bred2k4 for the help.

strosek911

Posted 16 September 2004 - 07:04 PM

i found the rural unit probably the most difficult 2 get 2 grips with.

the 2004 exam question was ok as you got a coice of intensive rice cultivation and shifting cultivation. i think i wrote my answer on the rice farming.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic