• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How very appealing

linds

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

Hi.

Just thought I'd do the old friendly opening carry on.

Anyway, I was just wondering how many of your teachers are appealing for you.

So, yeah... Basically you just post if you're getting put forward for appeals. Then we can see how we all get on.

I think my English teacher is appealing for me. She probably doesn't want to because she hated me. And she is very bitter because the head of department was expecting her to get everyone in my class (there were only 10 of us) an A, and she only got 3. So haha to her really. But I got an A for my prelim and a band 3 for the exam, so there's a chance of me maybe getting my appeal. Who knows. It would be quite nice, but at the end of the day I'm more than happy with my B - I didn't even think I'd get that.

bred

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:24 PM

I'm appealing for english and for art & design, but not for maths.

Shaun

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:04 PM

I'm appeal my maths (B) to try and get an A (I got 80% in the prelim).

Amy_G

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:25 PM

Im appealin 2 get my english grade from a D to a C, i think i'll get it but i duno whether 2 resit the english again neway wacko.gif

Dave

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:34 PM

well i wanted an appeal for physics from a band 3 to a band 2 but because of the 10% rule and the annoying fact there was only 10 people in my class they were going to give the only appeal to someone else but i went to the head teacher and now we are both getting it as far as i know

sparky

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:19 PM

Well my English teacher is appealing for me, to get my English from a B up to an A, I was one mark off an A with my prelim, and got a band 3 in the exam. It would be nice but I am still happy with my B. She said I deserved an A tho!

Shaun

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:33 PM

I was one mark off an A with my prelim

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but how can you appeal to get your grade from a B to an A, when you never got an A in the prelim? Is this possible?

Is this 10% rule true? It seems a bit unfair.

superstar

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:38 PM

Does anyone know if you can put in an appeal to go from a band 4 to a 3?

Kevin_Kilbane

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:10 PM

Does it really matter what your bands are?

Its the Grade that counts. Uni's want to know the grade, not the bands.

sparky

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:20 PM

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but how can you appeal to get your grade from a B to an A, when you never got an A in the prelim? Is this possible?

Is this 10% rule true? It seems a bit unfair.

What is the 10% rule??

Well I wasn't looking for an appeal, and didnt think they would give me one,but they are, and they can submit other examined pieces other than the prelim.
Don't think I'll get it but hae ho!

Shaun

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:22 PM

What is the 10% rule??

It means the teacher can only appeal up to a maximum of 10% of the class.

sparky

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:30 PM

I don't know, she just said she estimated me for an A, and I worked hard enough to get an A, and she would try to appeal!
wink.gif
Who knows!

Ally

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(sparky @ Aug 20 2004, 09:20 PM)

What is the 10% rule??

View Post

Here is some information on it:

Since 2003, centres have been asked to provide a rationale if they are
submitting External Assessment Appeals for a significant proportion (ie
more than 10%) of any cohort for a Course. The rationale should explain
why more than 10% of any one cohort did not perform to the standard
expected in the externally-assessed components of a Course. The
introduction of rationales provides centres with an opportunity to explain
why a significant proportion of a particular cohort should be treated as
exceptional cases, and they will be used by Examiners to assist decisionmaking,
where this is appropriate.

However, many teachers are not particularly keen on providing the reasons.

Dave

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:40 PM

you can appeal if your actual grade is less than your predicted that is all appeals are. The SQA also send a list to the school of all possiable appeals however these exceed the 10% rule.

however, you need the evidence that your are of the predicted grade so you need evidence from all year and of all units and of a correct difficultly

linds

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(MEN @ Aug 20 2004, 09:10 PM)
Does it really matter what your bands are?

Its the Grade that counts.  Uni's want to know the grade, not the bands.

View Post

It matters what the bands are when you're appealing, because you can only go up one band. If you got a band 6, if you appealed you'd go up to a band 5 if you got it which would still be a C.

Dave

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:47 PM

actually that isn't actually true it has happened that people have gone from a C to a A that rule to which you are refering is an old one form the old higher which is no longer used

Shaun

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:29 PM

Does anyone know when you find out if your appeal is successful or not? Is it true its at the end of September?

Dave

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:02 PM

the end of september is for people how are going to university this year so they can be accepted in time. For everyone else its around october time

Paul

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:26 PM

I wanted an appeal for AH Art which I got a C in and was predicted and A....but there is only 15 in my class and cos of the 10% rule, my teacher can only appeal for 2 peeps....and he gives priority to those who failed (having a selection of bout 10 ppl to chose from who were ALL predicted to pass!) mad.gif

I am gettin an appeal for AH Maths....I got a B and was predicted an A with havin 85-90% in my 2 prelims....my teacher said he is 99% sure I would be successful as I had a band 3.....but who knows.....

You say that those goin to uni will find out bout their appeals at end of september....I got an unconditional for uni...so dont urgently require my results...but wil I still find out earlier coz I am goin to uni????

Thanx!

Shandogg

Ally

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 22 2004, 07:02 PM)
the end of september is for people how are going to university this year so they can be accepted in time. For everyone else its around october time

View Post

Just to clear it up, you don't get any of your appeal results in October.

If you are entering Higher Education, i.e University , you should get your results by 20th September. I think this is only for pupils who have conditional offers.

For Highers & AH's, your appeal should come at the end of September.

For all other SQA Qualifications, your appeal should come at mid-November.

And finally, if you get a successful appeal you'll get your replacement certificate at the end of November.

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic