• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Britains Lack Of Preparedness for WW2 Help Anyone?!

crazy4dunst

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

Hey! I got to get an essay in on Britains Unpreparedness for World War 2 in to my teacher and i am totally bamboozled. We have notes but they are copied out of massive thick books with tiny writing and massive words and i cannot learn like this! Does any one have an example dissertation or essay or even any notes on this topic? that would really really help me out. I know as much as i need to talk about the economy, chamberlain, military and civil defence but thats as far as i can get. Rather Suckish i think you'll agree!

sad.gif

will_789

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(crazy4dunst @ Sep 25 2006, 09:13 AM) View Post

Hey! I got to get an essay in on Britains Unpreparedness for World War 2 in to my teacher and i am totally bamboozled. We have notes but they are copied out of massive thick books with tiny writing and massive words and i cannot learn like this! Does any one have an example dissertation or essay or even any notes on this topic? that would really really help me out. I know as much as i need to talk about the economy, chamberlain, military and civil defence but thats as far as i can get. Rather Suckish i think you'll agree!

sad.gif

By preparedness do you mean preperation?

bred

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

In terms of military power, Britain could probably have defeated Nazi Germany single handedly in 1939 but with the Nazis' armaments expansion and eastwards expansion Britain's military power soon became much inferior.
In economic terms the 1930s were a period of depression and so it wasn't in the best state to go to war, even in 1939. Following the blood baths of WWI still in many the memory of many people, going to war was also not a socially acceptable choice. Communism was seen as a more potent threat than Nazism at the time.
Chamberlain gave the Nazis time to build armaments, and when it was to late to continue appeasing, the Nazis had already built up significant military strength. Hitler was putting much more money into civil defence than Chamberlain was, as Hitler was planning on going to war all along but Chamberlain was still hopeful a peaceful settlement could be reached.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic