• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LAND REFORM ACT (SCOTLAND) 2003 Outdoor access rights, crofting community buyouts... has it effected y

Array

Ali89

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:07 PM

PS - the Poll should read "should crofting communities have the right to buy their land of their landowners"

For my Geographical issues essay, my plan is to do it on the Land reform bill for Scotland; concentrating on the topic of croting community buyouts in particular - as this is a topic I feel very strongly (in favour) about.

Firstly, does anyone have any thoughts of why this wouldn't be a good topic? (advice from past AH Geography folk much appreciated there).

Then, if that's ok - is there anyone here who has been directly effected by this Land Reform act or community buyout? Those who live in some of the more remote areas or Hebridean Islands may have been effected - or even if we have any locals to Assynt - that would be great!

Cheers in advance for any help!

dehny

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

i agree that communities sould be able to buy the land off landowners

ermd

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

This will be a good topic for the issues essay I think.

Get some opinions from landowners, crofters, MPSs, etc. Possibly even lawyers (since the act finally removed elements of feudal law from Scots Law). Could make quite a good essay.

Anyway, I voted yes - I think that crofters should own the land they work on. If you would like a longer explanation from me (call it a source), I could write you something.

Good luck with the course - I found it quite good fun! smile.gif

Yurimaru

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:28 AM

I agree that it would be a good topic for the issues essay.

You might want to try the Scottish Executive Rural Development website for sources, and also the Law Society of Scotland - they have the law society's response to the consultation on the Land Reform Bill. The BBC also have some articles, and have the advantage that they are (relatively) unbiased.

Good Luck!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic