The UKCAT

Allana

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

I'm sitting it tomorrow.

Eek.

Any pearls of wisdom? smile.gif

Nathan

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

Erm.....relax....but not too much....and remember, the timing's tight, so don't panic if you dont finish all the questions wink.gif

Oh, and good luck wink.gif

Edited by nathanm, 01 September 2006 - 09:03 PM.

**Bernadette**

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

The main thing I would say is keep your eye on the clock. Just do your best!!

GOOD LUCK!!!! wink.gif wink.gif

dfx

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

Good luck with the maths section from what I've heard!

Allana

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

Whoop. Finally sat it today.

The maths section seemed to be physically impossible to finish, unless;
a) You're Einstein
b) You guess.

But apart from that it was ok smile.gif Some of the shape questions were a bit obscure.

jackbauer

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

I've been thinking about this UKCAT thing - aren't we all just sitting the same exam, only at diferent times?

It's open to 'abuse'. For example, you could post the question here (or some of/the sort of things you were asked).

Or I could get someone, like a friend, who's not even interested in medicine, to sit the test just to find out the questions/answers.

Then I go in knowing exactly what to expect or even knowing the answers...

Even if your accomplice can't remember it all, they could remember, say, the infamous maths section. Or you could get four people to go in, each tasked with remembering one subtest each!!!???

I know it would be expensive for 4 people, but some people's parents have a lot of money and ambition for their kids. rolleyes.gif

Or is it like the driving theory test, where there is a bank of 1000s of questions, and a dew are selected at random each time?

Your thoughts please...

Nathan

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(jackbauer @ Sep 2 2006, 10:05 PM) View Post

I've been thinking about this UKCAT thing - aren't we all just sitting the same exam, only at diferent times?

Yes and no. Its a bit like sitting a driving theory test. You answer 35 questions, but there's a database of like 1000 questions. And with that many combinations, you're not really sitting the same exam.

It's open to 'abuse'. For example, you could post the question here (or some of/the sort of things you were asked).

Very true, but like I said, the questions are selected from a large database

Or I could get someone, like a friend, who's not even interested in medicine, to sit the test just to find out the questions/answers.

See above. Also, it would also be a waste of 60 quid (unless they get an EMA at the highest rate

Or is it like the driving theory test, where there is a bank of 1000s of questions, and a dew are selected at random each time?

Its just like that wink.gif

jackbauer

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:16 PM

damn mad.gif

i thought i'd found a cunning way round the stupid, stupid test tongue.gif

Allana

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

Hmm, i'm quite scared about the whole thing. How dependant do you think the universities will be on the UKCAT?

I'd hate to have worked my ass off to get 5 As, good work experience and a good PS - to be rejected because I hadn't done well on that stupid money-making test.

Views? smile.gif

st-and Paul

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(Allana @ Sep 3 2006, 02:25 PM) View Post

Hmm, i'm quite scared about the whole thing. How dependant do you think the universities will be on the UKCAT?

I'd hate to have worked my ass off to get 5 As, good work experience and a good PS - to be rejected because I hadn't done well on that stupid money-making test.

Views? smile.gif

I said you would be fine wink.gif.

Allana

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Sep 3 2006, 03:24 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Allana @ Sep 3 2006, 02:25 PM) View Post

Views? smile.gif

I said you would be fine wink.gif.

Ha, thanks.
I'm still worried though. Surely they can't really rely on this test when so many people have complained?

Michael

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

Not that I think they will rely much on it. But I dont know of anyone who has made an official complaint about it, just generally mumbling and grumbling.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic