• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Investigations

ad absurdum

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:14 PM

So has anyone started thinking about what investigations they are going to be doing this year yet? I really have no idea, if anyone feels like inspiring me then they are more than welcome to tongue.gif

Since I'm such a nice I've uploaded this booklet I came across (can't remember where, sorry) which has a description of lots of possible investigations and should be useful.
hxxp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=20D0268C2FBD6AC2
(copy and paste into your browser and change "hxxp" to "http" - this is because yousendit closes downloads directly linked from a forum)

SncZ

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:00 PM

im not sure yet altho i have been thinking. We were told to try and use the local universities as much as possible tho. (Dundee and St Andrews)

would it be too hard to try and calculate the speed of light exactly i.e. not just 3x108. Do you think the uni will have the right equipment etc ?

or would that just be plain boring ? huh.gif

ad absurdum

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

You're lucky to live near St. Andrews, they apparently have a really good physics department. I'm really lucky aswell, because I'm from Edinburgh so I'm near the observatories and the university tongue.gif

I don't know how you would go about calculating the speed of light to be honest, but I think that you would have to come up with a couple of ways of doing it. My physics teacher used to mark the investigations and he says that it's quite important that the thing you investigate gives you the oppurtunity to collect alot of data (I think there's alot of importance in the errors and stuff). One of the ones he gave as an example was determining the graviational field strength through different methods so you could get lots of data, but that would be boring I think.

As for determining the speed of light, I think that would be a really intresting one to do but probably difficult. I guess you could do it by arranging mirrors and stuff but this could be difficult and inaccurate. Another way you could do it would be with interference patterns of light of a known frequency to determine the wavelength and then use this to find the velocity. Hopefully there would be some fancy equipment that the local universities would let you use that would be more accurate.

punto

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

I done measuring the value of 'G' in my investigation, dont leave it to the last minute either as many people did in my class! keep your day book up to date as we have been moderated 5 years running. I done 3 experiments each getting the value of 'g' to be ranging from 9.79 to 9.84 which was pretty accurate. Good luck. My teacher marks the day books so we are in with a good shout as she knows the standard!!! Its so bloody picky with them like

Blondie

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

I'm thinking of doing gravitational field strength, but I'm not so sure, I can't really think of any other ideas...
We don't start ours until after the summer, so I have plenty of time to think. biggrin.gif

Dave Mackd

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

yeh its been difficult figurin out what to do, at the moment i'm looking into tensile strengths, you know sresssing metal wires and things to breaking points, but its been really difficult trying to expand the investigation and find different experiments to do,

anyone out there got some ideas or tips cos right now im stumped

ad absurdum

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

I've decided I'm going to look at dampened harmonic oscillators, definately in mechanics and maybe even in circuits aswell. I chose this because it looks like I might get to use some nice maths.

dfx

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:05 PM

Damped SHM is amazing.

ad absurdum

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Nov 4 2006, 06:05 PM) View Post

Damped SHM is amazing.
I was about to say "hey! that's exactly what I'm doing" but then I realised I'd already said so in the thread tongue.gif Have you done something similar to this before?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic