• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The exam...

ermd

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

So, the 29th draws near and I'm looking for some advice on the exam. This is the first year our department had properly run AH Geography and as a result we are lacking in past papers and general exam advice. I got > 80% in the prelim, but with an inexperienced teacher marking it, I don't really know how good it was compared to how the SQA would mark it.

Any help/advice and especialy past papers would be much appreciated!

BouncyB

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

this is only the second year that my school has been running AH geog, and im in the same situation as you in some respects. I got 65% 9n my prelim, but its all subjective, so i also dont no how the SQA will say im doing, which makes me VERY worried.

bred

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

If you have practised the statistics questions you should be fine with the one in the exam. There probably will be a correlation between the two development indicators, but last year they decided to have two indicators that did not correlate. The last part of the statistics question will probably be something like "explain why indicator x (e.g. no. of hospital beds per 1,000) correlates with indicator y (e.g. GDP/capita)" and you'll just have to give a few marks explaining why richer nations can afford better health services or something along those lines.
For the OS map question, assuming you do that one as well, you really need to go into every last detail you can get out of the map. There are so many marks up for grabs that you might find that answering the question gets a bit repetitive but try to mention as many different things as possible, always giving six figure grid references when referring to places marked on the map. If the question is asking you about the positives and negatives of something, I found it best to list all the positives I could think of first, then concentrate on all the negatives, and if I thought of any more points I'd just stick them on at the end. If you were talking about the site of a quarry, for instance, you would mention the height of the land in relation to the surrounding area (residential areas don't want views of a quarry), the slope of the land (very steep land may be dangerous to quarry), trees obscuring the quarry from view (trees are desirable as they block the quarry from view and cut down on noise and dust pollution), possibly the geology of the area, the proximity to residential areas, the transportation links, the alternative sites available... You will get the most marks if you really look at the map closely, use your imagination (although you'll only get marks if your ideas are sensible and hold some truth!), and explain the impacts that certain features of the map will have on the issue(s) relevent in the question. Backing up points with further reasons is always good, but try to cover a wide range of points rather than just talking in depth about one or two things. Don't leave the exam early and keep writing as you can't lose marks for anything you write!
Good luck! smile.gif

ferg

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

thnx for the advice bred! does anyone if the sqa will supply an atlas or do you have to bring your own??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic