• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Part time/ full time jobs whos working what and where to save up for uni next year for the fist

Array

smilie

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:56 AM

i work in Next Clearence and i get 4.62 an hour but this will go up to 5.20 when im 18!

i work sat and sun but am only contracted for sat so get 5.78 on a sun due to getting payed time and 1/4

yay!!

The admin in Next is awful they dont phone and tell u if your shifts change and i only find out my hours for sun on the sat so cant make any arrangements :/

they even underpayed me last month !!!!

kyle

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

I now work at amec. I'm doing some database type stuff. smile.gif

9 - 5, yey!

www.amec.com

broughy

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 27 2006, 08:07 PM) View Post

your the second person i know to get a job in next with a tiny number of hours. Is that a company policy for new recruits or something

8 is quite a normal number of hours for somebody on a student contract. my safeway contract was 8 & a quarter hours when i started, there was a whole army of us all with 8.25 hour contracts. one of my friends worked in miss selfridge when we were in 6th year, & her contract was 4 hours!

linds

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 27 2006, 08:07 PM) View Post

your the second person i know to get a job in next with a tiny number of hours. Is that a company policy for new recruits or something

8 hours is a fairly standard part-time contract anywhere. They can keep you when you're back at uni that way.

I'm on a temporary 16 hour contract, which will probably end when I go back to uni. They might keep me on fewer hours if they need me, though. And they do think the sun shines out my backside in Accessorize, so they might do just that. tongue.gif

It's only because I volunteer to do all the donkey work. But I genuinely enjoy filling up necklaces and bangles and stuff.

st-and Paul

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:00 PM

When i was in 5th year and had my job at somerfield i started out on a 5 hour contract which went to 12 later on in the year ( i had lots of band commitments). This year my job in DRA is 35 hours a week for the summer job but its on a temporary contract for the uni hols only. My next job in the younger hall office is 6 to 10 hours a week. I m quite jealous of kyle, i wish i had got a better job for this summer, i looked at internships for the big IT consultancies but they wont touch you until you are 3rd year and on course for a 2:1.

mujb

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

i've recently started my training at Lloyds TSB and i get 6.66 per hour. my contract is 25 hours but am going to put in loads of overtime before uni starts. Cant wait for higher results

ice_illusion

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:43 AM

I haven't done any hours this week. I'm a waitress and not contraced any hours and just go in when they need me. Its generally been 4-10 hrs per week though. I think I'm doing more in the summer though.
I get paid 4 hour but there is tips too, I think that pushs it up somewhere closer to 4.80 an hour.
About average for my age and the type of jobs available here.

Now, back to sleep.

weeronniesun

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

i work at a call centre for Tiscali Billing. i got 5.36 for my first three months then up the 5.48 then up to 5.69 after 6 months. Ive been doin loads of overtime (which is charged at the same rate as normal time) over the past few weeks...like yesterday i dont a 16 hour shift (8am-12am, which is all the hours our line is open for) this made me work 56 hours in one week...its probably not legal but i do it...and the thing is i really enjoy workin there too... handed in my notice the other day tho so not long left workin there...

Dave

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:11 PM

the law is 48 hours max UNLESS you agree that you are willing to work for longer. Yeh i do watch too much of the daytime tv programme "Working Lunch"

lipu

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:08 AM

I work PT with Tesco and earn 5.02 and hour which will go up to just over 6 per hour when I turn 18 in November.

Nathan

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(lipu @ Aug 8 2006, 10:08 AM) View Post

I work PT with Tesco and earn 5.02 and hour which will go up to just over 6 per hour when I turn 18 in November.

i'm the same....'cept my birthday's in june.

anyway, on that note, i'm off to the hell hole that is tesco for a nice little 9 hour shift dry.gif

John

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

I'm considering going Self-employed lol

Dave

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

its quite good being self employed but only if you get the work. Obvious i know but still

John

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:10 PM

True. Though lots of people are too stupid to set up Wireless Networks lol

So i should be fine, hopefully.

dondon

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 8 2006, 07:42 PM) View Post

its quite good being self employed but only if you get the work. Obvious i know but still

maybe, but think about all the benefits you dont get, like sick and holiday pay plus its lots more hard work.

John

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Donna @ Aug 8 2006, 08:29 PM) View Post

maybe, but think about all the benefits you dont get, like sick and holiday pay plus its lots more hard work.

But if you are good* at being self-employed you will make enough so that you wont have to worry about needing to claim sick pay or require paid holidays.

*By good i mean, working enough hours, make enough money through that, basicly it all depends on what you do really.

linds

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:44 PM

I was technically self-employed when I worked for the Record. I was freelance, I didn't actually have a contract with them.

They still paid every week though.

wikked-dfc

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:15 PM

AAAAAAARGH
I need a job now
decided now since its actually sunk in now that School is over and I;m down to my last couple of hundred from birthday i need a job.
Anyone know of good places in Dundee lol looking for jobs. I should be more prepared but then again i got my summer job last year in October, working in Next til the sale when they let me go, two days before(yes i was let go on xmas eve haha) cos I spoke to much and they had to cut down hours and i was an obvious choice lol

Dave

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

no idea about dundee obviously but quick things for the now are:

www.scotcareers.co.uk
www.s1jobs.co.uk

jobcentre website

postoffice, o2, orange can all be set up to email u any vacencies as and when they appear. Marks and spencer also recruit through there site but there isnt anything at the moment if i remember rightly

smb

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Donna @ Aug 8 2006, 08:29 PM) View Post

Or you could do what I do... tongue.gif

Its an agency type thing - loaaaads of temp work, v good for summer jobs. You tell them what kind if stuff you wouldn't mind doing - admin/catering/care etc. They won't bother you when you're at school/uni - just tell them when you're looking for something to do and they'll phone and tell you when things come up.

Positives
Ideal if yer just wanting A Summer Job
Money - sometimes 55 a day ohmy.gif
Experience - the jobs vary.
Meeting new people etc
Can say yes or no to any of the jobs offered
Get holiday pay apparently
It can be fun! biggrin.gif

Negatives
shifts can be long and sometimes a bit boring
sometimes called at short notice
always "the new girl/boy"
some of the jobs are pretty low
there isnt always work - (christmas/easter/summer there is loads though)

If you dont mind getting down and doing some boring/hard work merely for a summer job and money its pretty good. I mostly do waitressing or catering stuff. My mum does hospital and nursing home stuff during the holidays.

But if you just want to be a fussy unemployed bum or a pansy with a mere 8-hour-week shift and look down on these low jobs, so be it.

Just so you know, this is real Lady MacLeod work. ph34r.gif

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic