Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2005 paper 2, Q 3c - HSN forum

2005 paper 2, Q 3c

6 replies to this topic

#1 *fe*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

The point C is the centre of a circle with tangent of equation x + 3y = 1 at A (1,0)

the equation of radius CA is y = 3x + 3 .

(also given info about a chord joining A and B (5,4) - eqn. of AB's perpendicular bisector is x + 3y = 1 but i dont think this helps)

Determine the coordinates of point C.

Is this a distance formula question? confused.

#2 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:33 PM

I don't think its a distance question, Iworked out what I done last year on this question by looking at the stupid drwings i made on my paper lol

firstly this is very difficult to explsin without diagrams so ill try my best.

Use the equation of the perpindicular bisector in a) which is x+y=5 and the equation of the that you worked out in part b which is y= 3x-3.

Then use simultaneous equations with the equation of of CA and the perpindicular bisector. And I get (3,2) for the centre of the circle.

This may be wrong though as its been a year since i've done anything like this. But it looks like it might be right.

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:38 PM

am i right in saying the line going through C is the perpendicular bisector mentioned in part a which is x+y=5 ?

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

ahh yes, i worked that bit out wrong, ill edit the answer

EDIT: I see what I done wrong now I just got mixed up with the 2 equations. but the final answer is still the same.

EDIT2: anyway thats wrong just ignore my last post just now

EDIT3: infact I was right, I'm not doing this again lol

#5 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(*fe* @ May 18 2006, 08:12 PM) View Post

the equation of radius CA is y = 3x + 3 .

This equation is actually y=3x-3
EDIT: and a lot of the equations you've put in your post are not the right ones.

The perpindicular bisector is x+y=5

ANd the tangent that goes through point A isn't the same as the Radius CA which is y=x-1.

#6 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

No bloody wonder i couldnt get the correct answer lol

And *fe* you have stressed me, if i fail tomorrow i'm sueing you!!!!!

#7 *fe*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

And *fe* you have stressed me, if i fail tomorrow i'm sueing you!!!!!
[/quote]

hello,

very very sorry - i did check my post before sending - clearly not very well! please dont be angry - was my first post and i think all this revision is getting to my head.

thankyou all for your help, and if u r stressed can i suggest u have a cup of tea. im having some now. smile.gif

thanks again and best of luck for the exam

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users