Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2002 Paper 2 Question 10 - HSN forum

2002 Paper 2 Question 10

7 replies to this topic

#1 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:17 PM

How do you do part A in this question?

#2 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:06 PM

I don't have access to that paper at the moment to give you my solution so here's someone else's:

http://www.lookstudylearn.co.uk/higher/H2S...ols-10-2002.PDF

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#3 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

i really didnt get that question at all...im surprised it hasnt been asked before :S

#4 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:19 PM

I'm still puzzled by it.

Why l/a?

when you can could you talk me through solving it?

#5 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:21 PM

Hmm there's apparently another way to do it with similar shapes and the like, but I prefer to use stuff that's fresh in my memory.

First, find the gradient of the longest side (from (0,6) to (8,0)):

\begin{align*}m &= \frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1} \\
&= \frac{0-6}{8-0} \\
&= \frac{-3}{4} \\\end{align*}

Now the other side l is parallel to this, so it has the same gradient, and it also touches the point (a,0), so finding an equation for l:

\begin{align*}y-b &= m(x-a) \\
y-0 &= \frac{-3}{4}(x-a) \\
4y &= -3x + 3a \\\end{align*}

Now find the y intercept, i.e. when x= 0:

\begin{align*}4y = 3a \\
y = \frac{3a}{4} \\ \end{align*}

So the y intercept is the point (0, 3a/4)

Now, we want the length of l, so distance formula between the point (0, 3a/4) and (a,0):

\begin{align*}d &= \sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2 - (y_2-y_1)^2} \\
&= \sqrt{(a-0)^2 - (0-\frac{3a}{4})^2} \\
&= \sqrt{a^2 + \frac{9a^2}{16}} \\
&= \sqrt{\frac{16a^2}{16} + \frac{9a^2}{16}} \\
&= \sqrt{\frac{25a^2}{16}} \\
&= \frac{5a}{4} \\\end{align*}

tricky question.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#6 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:17 AM

i like the similar triangles option and its one i would of went for when i did that question as a past paper since its only for 2 marks at most this question

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#7 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:41 AM

The way ad_absurdum did it was the way i was going for, that way makes alot more sense to me than the similar triangles one.

#8 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:00 AM

I would also solve part (a) using similar triangles.

Here is my solution if it helps:

http://www.invergordon.highland.sch.uk/dep...q10solution.pdf

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users