• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2006 Physics Exam How did it go?

FcukWIT

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

Lets just say my head is still ringing. I found this to be the hardest paper of all the past papers I have done. blink.gif

Nothing seemed to be obvious, but guess they decided to make the paper harder since we didnt have to remember all those equations.

But I still think its a pass.

Pringles

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

There seemed a lot of calculations, and they certainly tested all your knowledge, well apart from a few things. What questions did people find difficult?

FcukWIT

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

The period of the orbit of the satellite around mars. I must have spent 20 mins on that. It was way beyond me.

The invigilator didnt let me take the question paper out of the exam hall. Did anyone else get it through?

colinH

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

I thought it was ok, there were lots of "show that......" type questions which you cant really get wrong. Also for question 3, you know that you got the first 6 marks if you managed to show question b (i). for the period i got 114.1 mins anyone else?

Pringles

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

Yeh I took mine away

I thought it was ok, there were lots of "show that......" type questions which you cant really get wrong. Also for question 3, you know that you got the first 6 marks if you managed to show question b (i). for the period i got 114.1 mins anyone else?

Yeh I got the same as that

FcukWIT

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:00 PM

I hope someone can post the answers. What question was 3.b. i) again?

HatingHighers

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:11 PM

How in hell do you do that part of the cyclotron question where it asks you what the speed will be in the LEFT half?!

Other than that I didn't think it was TOO bad but I dunno.

What did everyone get for the Electric Field Strength at P?

FcukWIT

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:17 PM

I know I got the right answer for all the "show that x is equal to x units". and I am 99% confident on the Milikkan experiment question. I got a reasonable value for the deflection s.

Btw. How many excess electrons were there?

Jason Bourne

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

Afbhvfasfkshdvfd ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif blink.gif blink.gif

That was not easy. The worst questions I found was the first one, on uncertainties, and the last two.
Totally didnt get the one where you had to derive something. Although I got the paper finished i didnt have enough time to really check over my answers but oh well im glad thats finished with. laugh.gif

I dont know if you can get the answers anywhere. Ive got the paper and 3.b.i) was "show that the force exerted by mars on the spacecraft is 3.1*10^2 N." And i had a weird feeling that something on those "dees" would come up.

I wasnt sure about the left half dee thingy but i think for the number of electrons in excess i got something like 10 000 000 but i cant remember really. For the field strength one i really did not like, i got something like 9.9*10^4 or something , i duno laugh.gif

sai

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

hey people!!

that physics paper was a killer...........but i have survived biggrin.gif how in the name of salmonella where you supposed to work out the speed as it entered the left dee???? i spent ages on that one....think i have a few grey hairs now. blink.gif
rest of it was ok i suppose....and i have ze past paper if any one has queries..... i'll probably go over it later, my poor wee brain needs a rest the now

sai

HatingHighers

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(FcukWIT @ May 17 2006, 04:17 PM) View Post

10,000,000?

FcukWIT

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(HatingHighers @ May 17 2006, 06:22 PM) View Post

QUOTE(FcukWIT @ May 17 2006, 04:17 PM) View Post

10,000,000?

10 Million total Electrons. But in excess? Would it be 10 mill - 1

sai

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

yup i got 10,000,000 as well... but maybe your right about the taking away 1...donno
did anyone get 13.84 for the minimum tension for q 1 (a) (v) by any chance??

Jason Bourne

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(sai @ May 17 2006, 06:49 PM) View Post

yup i got 10,000,000 as well... but maybe your right about the taking away 1...donno
did anyone get 13.84 for the minimum tension for q 1 (a) (v) by any chance??

yeah i got that answer

Pringles

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

Yeh I got that answer aswell

Peachy

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

I thought that paper was hard, but probably cos im rubbish at physics this year. It was good that there were loads of "show that" questions, cos those are the only ones i know iv definitly got right. That cyclotron question was mega hard! I didnt get ANY of it. sad.gif oh well.

FcukWIT

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

Anyway. I hope everyone did well in the exam.

If you generally knew what they were talking about in the questions, then you will pass. No need to worry about Physics exam now. You will get what you will get.

P.S nobody can call you stupid for not doing well in an Advanced Higher Physics exam anyway.

Jonny-Sensei

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:10 AM

The physics exam went quite well....A few things came up which I never expected (Milikan's, cyclotron, standing waves etc) but I think I made a pretty good attempt at them smile.gif

I was unsure about the "speed of sound" question part where you move the reflector and the intensity of the sound increases (left blank), nor the speed of the electrons entering the left dee of the cyclotron (I doubled the speed, since it's supplied with the same energy)

Hope everyone does well!!

sachy

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:29 AM

i found the exam quite easy. The "show that" questions were realy gifts, though i did struggle in the excess of electrons,period of mars and a few parts on the last two questions.

overall i think i done realy well smile.gif

good luck people

smit

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:53 PM

Going thru it just not, im reasonably happy.

Question 1 - % uncertainting in T was fine, but then you need to double to get T^2 yea?
Then how do you get w = 2pie/T as an uncertainty?

Question 6 the oil drop, how do you get the number of excess? I got how many electrons there were but didnt know what it wanted me to do.

Question 7 The dees, first dee QV = 1/2 m v ^2
I wasnt sure about the left hand dee, I assumed that it would be, the first V added to another QV = 1/2m v ^2 - It was only 2 marks so couldnt see it being anything really complicated.

Question 10 What improvement did you do? I didnt have a clue. I said smaller mic so the node position could be more accurately found. Also why does the intensity become larger as the reflector was moved back, that was the only part in the paper I didnt get a half decent answer to.

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic