Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2004 Paper 2, Q9 - HSN forum

2004 Paper 2, Q9

10 replies to this topic

#1 Kara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hi im doing an optimisation question (Q9 2004 calculator peper) I've manages part A which gives the volume of the cuboid equal to: V(x)= 2/3x(6 - x^2)

Part B is to find the exact value of x for which this volume is a maximum.

I understand i have to differentiate, set equal to zero to find stationary points, draw a max/min graph to find where x is at its maximum but im struggling with the differentiation, im getting funny numbers.

I would be really grateful for any help.

#2 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

when i differentiate, i get 4-2x[^2]

factorised to 2(x[^2] - 4) , therefore getting roots of plus or minus sqrt.gif 2

for my nature table, i had m max tp at -sqrt.gif2 where y= 0.77 and max tp at sqrt.gif2 where y= 4.47

i dont have my answers handy though, so i'm not sure if that's right :S

#3 Kara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:14 PM

the answer is the sqaure root of 2 but im still not sure how to get that.

ooooh i get it now i think, was just the differentiation part that i was confussed with. thanks.

#4 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

This how I done it

V(x) = \frac{2}{3}x(6 - {x^2}) \\         
        V(x) = 4x - \frac{2}{3}{x^3} \\
 \dfrac{dV}{dx} =  4 - 2{x^2} = 0 \textrm{ for stationary points}\\ 
             4 = {2x^2} \\
             x = \pm \sqrt{2}

#5 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

yup, that's right, and then you need to do a nature table to see which is the maximum...making the answer sqrt.gif2

#6 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:25 PM

There is another way of finding the nature that you will find out in if you take Advanced Higher Maths. You differentiate \frac {dV}{dx} then put in the stationary values. If the value you find is >0 then the point is a minimum point if the value you find is <0 then the point is a maxminum

#7 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

so you differentiate the derivative?

#8 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, second order differentiation, f''(x)\,. or 

\begin{align*} \frac {d^2 y}{dx^2} \end{align*}

which you really don't need to know for Highers.

#9 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:42 PM

But it's okay to use that to show the nature of the stationary point in a higher exam, right?

/me really hates drawing nature tables
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:50 PM

erm i dont know if it says show or prove with a nature table then obviously doing anything else will get no marks but i guess it wont be a problem since it is factually accurate. However it should be noted that sometimes you can do 2nd derivative and the answer will be zero in which case you have to use a nature table anyway

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#11 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

However it should be noted that sometimes you can do 2nd derivative and the answer will be zero in which case you have to use a nature table anyway

Yeah should have mentioned that. Im not sure if using this method would get you no marks but to be sure I would use a nature table

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users