• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pen and ink drawings

katy

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:17 PM

How do you do it? What different techniques can u use? I'm always scared to do pen drawings cos i just know i'll make mistakes and muck everything up. Im a bit unsure of how to get different shades and make things look smooth unsure.gif

x_Claire_x

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:20 PM

hey, im not an expert far from it lol1 but when i do ink drawings i use one of those handwriting pens and i use dots to do the shading. i do the drawing in pencil first then go over it and fill in the dark and light shades

smb

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:23 AM

Folk always seem to be a bit scared to use pens and paint in art for some reason, so here's a schpeel of how I think you should do it IPB Image

You do not have to pay the slightest bit of attention, as long as you call me miss macleod i'm... ok. IPB Image

Well firstly I would like to apologise for the image i have used...i kind of did it without thinking it might be a tad unappropriate. unsure.gif

I find the best way to do a pen drawing is to get one of the inky pens (something like the edding55 pens ) They are everywhere, not hard to get.

They work really really nicely with water. Like, you can do the drawing first and then "melt" the ink down with water. That'll definitely give a nice smoothness to yer drawings.

Aye, so if you have an image

- sketch the lines out first. Go light with the pen though, dont lean too hard just now.

example

Remember to keep looking at what our drawing and dont be afraid to put in as much detail as you like. Draw exactly what you see, not what you think you see. The SQA marker guy wants to see that you have considered and thought about what you are drawing. If you are drawing things closer to you, make these lines slightly darker and make the line lighter as things move further back. Shows you've thought about perspective and such things.

However, don't be too precious about your drawing. If you make a mistake, dont start again - work with it. It will probably go unnoticed anyway.

Get the proportions measured right, its quite important so take time doing this. Really think about measurements and parts of the body in relation to other parts of the body.

Next think about light source. This is very very very important in any drawing or painting - it adds so much depth and interest to your work if you have a good strong light source and good shadow - shows the SQA marker man you have thought about reflections of light

Keep looking at your picture. For a dark bit, make lots of marks with the pen - closer together. Like, you can just "scribble" - but make sure you arent scribbling just for the sake of it. Where there is light, don't make as much marks. (Like, on the shoulder and knee of the woman in my example.)

Then you have your "finished" drawing.

The water has smoothed the lines down quite a bit. Nice contrast between the lines and the "melted" inky parts.

Notice how there is not neat lines everywhere, I've tried to do more adventurous lines to show, for example, the material folds.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a finished, pretty, neat drawing. As long as the SQA marker guy can see you have considered light, form, shape etc.

Be brave with your mark making. Vary your marks too. But keep it controlled. smile.gif

katy

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Apr 18 2006, 02:23 AM) View Post

Folk always seem to be a bit scared to use pens and paint in art for some reason, so here's a schpeel of how I think you should do it IPB Image

You do not have to pay the slightest bit of attention, as long as you call me miss macleod i'm... ok. IPB Image

Well firstly I would like to apologise for the image i have used...i kind of did it without thinking it might be a tad unappropriate. unsure.gif

I find the best way to do a pen drawing is to get one of the inky pens (something like the edding55 pens ) They are everywhere, not hard to get.

They work really really nicely with water. Like, you can do the drawing first and then "melt" the ink down with water. That'll definitely give a nice smoothness to yer drawings.

Aye, so if you have an image

- sketch the lines out first. Go light with the pen though, dont lean too hard just now.

example

Remember to keep looking at what our drawing and dont be afraid to put in as much detail as you like. Draw exactly what you see, not what you think you see. The SQA marker guy wants to see that you have considered and thought about what you are drawing. If you are drawing things closer to you, make these lines slightly darker and make the line lighter as things move further back. Shows you've thought about perspective and such things.

However, don't be too precious about your drawing. If you make a mistake, dont start again - work with it. It will probably go unnoticed anyway.

Get the proportions measured right, its quite important so take time doing this. Really think about measurements and parts of the body in relation to other parts of the body.

Next think about light source. This is very very very important in any drawing or painting - it adds so much depth and interest to your work if you have a good strong light source and good shadow - shows the SQA marker man you have thought about reflections of light

Keep looking at your picture. For a dark bit, make lots of marks with the pen - closer together. Like, you can just "scribble" - but make sure you arent scribbling just for the sake of it. Where there is light, don't make as much marks. (Like, on the shoulder and knee of the woman in my example.)

Then you have your "finished" drawing.

The water has smoothed the lines down quite a bit. Nice contrast between the lines and the "melted" inky parts.

Notice how there is not neat lines everywhere, I've tried to do more adventurous lines to show, for example, the material folds.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a finished, pretty, neat drawing. As long as the SQA marker guy can see you have considered light, form, shape etc.

Be brave with your mark making. Vary your marks too. But keep it controlled. smile.gif

miss macleod, thank you for that! ohmy.gif

I am doing figurative stuff for my expressive unit so your stuff fitted in well with the kind of thing i'd like to do. I want to get one of these edding pens. where did you get your one? would I be able I do a drawing using a normal biro pen too?

katy

The Wedge Effect

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:18 AM

I'm no artist, but I know biro pen is no good. tongue.gif You need a better pen, a more "inky" one as Miss MacLeod here so eloquently put out. tongue.gif I do two different methods of shading when using pens, either I use cross hatches with more denser lines for darker and more sparse line for lighter shades, and for very light shades, I don't use any at all. I also scribble in the darker parts and then use my finger to smudge it so the shading is smooth. I dunno if that's acceptable for Higher standard, as I never took art after second year. I just didn't like the idea of a teacher telling me what I should draw. I prefer to feel free to draw whatever I please. tongue.gif

ice_illusion

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:23 PM

I always just did tons of crosshatching and thought that was pen and ink. Do you need to use water as well to make it pen and ink?
I quite liked how mine came out anyway, even if it is just standard grade.

smb

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:32 PM

Aye cross hatching is a fine method to use. I did a few portraits using that method this year I think. And you can use it just the same way you would shade with a pencil, gets nice detail if thats what your after.

No, you do not need to use water. huh.gif You can do whatever the hell you want with a pen, it was only a suggestion.

ice_illusion

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

Ok.
I was really wondering if that was the reason it was called pen and ink. Sometimes I think the ink bit on the end seems a little unecessary. I don't use many pens without ink.

smb

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

yes you're right lol

but you CAN do a piece of artwork using ink without a pen rolleyes.gif

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic