• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Info Systems Complaints To make your voice heard

Discogirl17

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:20 PM

Info Systems students- Do you have any complaints?
Have you complained to the SQA already?
Annoyed about how Info Systems is tested?
Annoyed about this years paper?

Tell me exactly what your complaint is so I can add it to the collective complaints letter and get them to take notice.

james1

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

from what i hear there have always been complaints about this subject at higher since the exam started.

i think if theres such a problem perhaps its time for a staff change of the examining team or better opportunities for students to have better resources so theyre more equipped to deal with the demands of the exam

Ally

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jun 6 2004, 01:20 PM)

Yes, the exam is clearly not set against the arrangements documents which has to be done. Also the arrangements documents are crap - they are very vague.

Yes; received a general response.

Yes, the format changes making it impossible to know what to revise. Also too much time is spent on NAB's.

Yes over the supposed mistake.

Discogirl17

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ Jun 6 2004, 01:22 PM)
from what i hear there have always been complaints about this subject at higher since the exam started.

i think if theres such a problem perhaps its time for a staff change of the examining team or better opportunities for students to have better resources so theyre more equipped to deal with the demands of the exam

Can I quote exactly what you just said in the letter james?

james1

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:37 PM

Absolutely I am not all for the SQA. I diasagree on a lot of injustices to candidates. Its just when I balance it and consider other exam baords in the UK the SQA is reasonably good.

If you wanted specific comments on other subjects let me know which ones and I can give you a formal response.

Allan

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jun 6 2004, 02:20 PM)

Yes, as Ally said the exam is highly unpredictable and does not stick to the arrangements - which in the first place aren't much good.

The course is being completely changed for 2006, but then there's still the 2005 exam to be sat.

The optional unit "Hypermedia" is completely out of date and not particularly useful in modern day applications.

I e-mailed the SQA over this year's paper but have only had an automated response.

One question had part of a diagram missing meaning the question was impossible. Several centres have commented on this. How can this get through their setting and vetting process?

Shaun

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:33 PM

I can only the hope the SQA gets its act together for next years exam, because it can't
expect people to pass well if it doesn't stick to its arrangements. I'm doing it next year and hopefully they may sort the situation with the course.

Discogirl17

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:17 PM

Ok thats a good point Ally can I put ur comments in the collective complaints letter too? Allan can i use your view and fearfactor well yours is quite like mine so I would use yours but I'll make it a collective comment that all studnets doing it next year hold that view.

Ally

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:43 PM

Yup you can indeed!

Although I wouldn't use the word 'crap'; lol.

Ally

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:12 PM

Also, (although not every teacher) but quite a lot of teachers seem to be under-qualified to teach the subject.

From the teachers I know, a lot of them do not seem to be fully trained to teach the subject.

*star*

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Shaun @ Jun 6 2004, 03:33 PM)
I can only the hope the SQA gets its act together for next years exam, because it can't
expect people to pass well if it doesn't stick to its arrangements.  I'm doing it next year and hopefully they may sort the situation with the course.

View Post

The Arrangements documents are very long, i didnt knw hw to cut it down to what i need for revision, can any1 help!!

broughy

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

i have to say, i had a really good time in higher info systems - really enjoyed the course. but, i did sit it last year, before they apparently changed the course.

Gavers

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:06 PM

Why did I not see this post before now? ARGH!!!

Ah well... For me... Complaints...

The Hypermedia stuff is out of date (but, I suppose, they are bringing in the new course for 2005/2006 students, so that might not be too bad any more).

The arrangements documents are mince (like everyones been saying they're too vague and too long, trying to read over them is like watching paint dry, only 10 times worse)

They're changing the course for 2005/2006, so how are they going to expect people to revise properly for the exam, when they only have the specimen question paper and the (log winded, boring) notes.

(More of a personal one than whole, country-wide, although it could be) My teacher didn't seem to understand the course himself, so how can they get us to get it right? He was marking my prelim and kept on changing his mind over the answers he was saying were right, then marked them wrong. It's taken him about 6 weeks to mark our prelims, and he still hadn't finished them by the time we went off on study leave, so we didn't know what we have to revise untill too late.

Ally

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(*star* @ May 23 2005, 02:23 PM)
The Arrangements documents are very long, i didnt knw hw to cut it down to what i need for revision, can any1 help!!

View Post

Yeah I found the HDSU notes to be very long aswell, so I used the HSN notes for Database Systems and Info Org and also the hypermedia notes which can be found on the stickied thread, along with the past papers.

Discogirl17

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:16 PM

I found that I was dragged down by an overwhelming sense of boredom

Vixus

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

I just hope the exam has what I revised for.

Discogirl17

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

I better go and revise now that I've lost my chance of appealing.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic