• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prize Giving Is anyone getting anything?

Shaun

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

Prize Giving is around the corner (it's on the 18th at our school) and I was just wondering if anyone is getting anything, and if so, what?

thebizwiz

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:31 AM

I got a graduation certificate ages ago, as well as a Special Award Certificate:

"...Awarded to James Brown for HER contribution to the School Council and being a Prefect."

Shaun

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:05 PM

LOL!

I'm getting a few prizes, one of which is for maths (because I got the highest mark in the class for the prelim) and I feel really embarrassed as I'm pretty sure I haven't got an A in the final exam, in fact I'm 100% sure. mad.gif

james1

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (fearfactor47 @ Jun 6 2004, 11:26 AM)
Hi,

Prize Giving is around the corner (it's on the 18th at our school) and I was just wondering if anyone is getting anything, and if so, what?

ours isnt until after the exam results sad.gif

Shaun

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:19 PM

Lol ages away! I'm so nervous, this is the first time I've ever been to prize giving! I'm shy as it is never mind having to go up several times in front of everyone sad.gif

T minus 12 days and counting....

james1

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:21 PM

our school bases them on the actual exam results

we get trophies for the highest achiever and a silver engraved medal i got to keep biggrin.gif

werlop

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:51 PM

Hey, our prize giving is on Monday 21st June I think.

I'm getting the dux prize (with its nice shiney medal) and first in English and first in Geography.

Shaun

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:53 PM

I'm getting the prize for the top in maths, and computing, and a joint winner for the top physics prize and I'm joint runner up to the dux.

Discogirl17

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:59 PM

Yeh we dont get ours til after the exam results. Last year I got the endeavour in Business and High Achievement in Standard Grade Award. We only get certificates. Only the "Special" Achievement Award for which u have to have gone through some terrible struggle is a cup.I think the prize giving is on my brithday so I'll be gutted if I dont get anything! I think I deserve the Business Endeavour again cos I've worked so hard for that subject and the Computing one as I was only two marks behind the brainbox in the prelim and I doubt very much I've overtaken her in the final exam and oh yeh Maths cos at the start of the year I was getting Cs if not failing and by the end I was getting As!

james1

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jun 6 2004, 12:59 PM)
Yeh we dont get ours til after the exam results. Last year I got the endeavour in Business and High Achievement in Standard Grade Award. We only get certificates. Only the "Special" Achievement Award for which u have to have gone through some terrible struggle is a cup.I think the prize giving is on my brithday so I'll be gutted if I dont get anything! I think I deserve the Business Endeavour again cos I've worked so hard for that subject and the Computing one as I was only two marks behind the brainbox in the prelim and I doubt very much I've overtaken her in the final exam and oh yeh Maths cos at the start of the year I was getting Cs if not failing and by the end I was getting As!

i suppose i agree with it making more sense to base it on the final exam results

Shaun

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:03 PM

getting Cs if not failing and by the end I was getting As!

Wow, that's amazing, how did you manage to boost your grade so dramatically?

james1

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:20 PM

Congratulations Louise on getting a Grade A! biggrin.gif

Laura

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:27 PM

Our Prizegiving is on the last day of term. Most of the prizes havn't been anounced yet, but I think they are all based on the Prelim results. I am getting the Higher prize for Maths and Chemistry, which I am really really pleased about biggrin.gif I never expected to get Maths in a million years! We had to do three maths prelims, and in the first one, I got one mark less than this other girl, in the second one, I got one mark more than her, so it was neck and neck all the way lol! tongue.gif
I don't think the Dux has been anounced yet either, but at our school, the runner up also gets a prize, but I can't really remember what it's called lol!

james1

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (Laura @ Jun 6 2004, 01:27 PM)
Our Prizegiving is on the last day of term. Most of the prizes havn't been anounced yet, but I think they are all based on the Prelim results. I am getting the Higher prize for Maths and Chemistry, which I am really really pleased about biggrin.gif I never expected to get Maths in a million years! We had to do three maths prelims, and in the first one, I got one mark less than this other girl, in the second one, I got one mark more than her, so it was neck and neck all the way lol! tongue.gif
I don't think the Dux has been anounced yet either, but at our school, the runner up also gets a prize, but I can't really remember what it's called lol!

you guys are lucky

my school doesnt officialy acknowledge the "dux"

Laura

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ Jun 6 2004, 12:21 PM)
our school bases them on the actual exam results

btw, if the prizes are based on the final exam results, does that mean you get to find out your percentages? rolleyes.gif

Discogirl17

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:31 PM

I'm not entirely sure I've got an A in the final exam but I'm pretty confident and I'm very confident that I have at least a very high B.
I did a kinda of second prelim a week and a half before the exam and got 89% so that is kind of hopeful. How did I manage to boost my grades? I think it was that I made my own course notes and kept all the worksheets I'd been given in sections so if I did a past paper and got say an optimisation question wrong I would trun to that section and example in my notes and that section in my works folder! I also asked the teacher a lot of questions!

Shaun

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

Optimisation question?

Laura

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

What do you guys get as prizes? Do you just get certificates, or do you get an actual prize? At my school, Standard grade prizes get £15 worth of book tokens per prize, and for Higher it's £20 worth of book tokens per prize. Last year I got the Standard Grade prizes for English, History and German, and with my book tokens I bought a medical encyclopedia! smile.gif

Shaun

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:38 PM

I'm not entirely sure but there are three of us joint winner for the physics prize,

First place is £100 and Second place is £50, so they added the 2 prizes together and divided by 3 so it's £50 each for the joint winner for the physics prize.

Discogirl17

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:38 PM

Thats so unfair. No we get certificates and thats it. I cant use that thing I got 89% in for appeal as it was only worth 100 marks. Everything depends on the exam and even if I do get the endeavour I dont get any reward and my parents are not rewarding me unless I get at least 3 As. If I get that I get about £50! But I think I'm only gonna get 2 As!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic