Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Revision - HSN forum

Revision

29 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:27 PM

Well, it's back to school on Monday, new subjects, new time-table, etc, and I was wondering if any of you had any good ideas to revise for the subjects you have studied, whether it be revising at the end of the course, or when you are actually doing a course. Do any of you have any ideas?

I was thinking of writing and highlighting some notes in a hardback book, but I don't know if this will be helpful.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

#2 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:44 PM

Well this year, i revised the topics as i did them, and i kept on looking at my notes to make sure i understood everything. I also made my own versions of notes with the main points so when revising i could easiliy find them.
By the end of the course i had understood most things and i was able to spend most of the revision time doing past papers, and when i was stuck at anything i just used the notes, and didnt have to spend ages going throu=ught the whole course again.

cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#3 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:25 PM

read notes

make colourful notes and flow diagrams with key points for later use

keep up to date at all times

saves stress next exam diet

#4 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:46 PM

Rich and James1 are right, I used a combination of their methods, thats the way to do it!

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#5 Guest_Liam_*

• Guests

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:25 AM

I have a god way for me to revise.

I put everything in order for the courses and then with the main points draw pictures to represent them. Next you just make a story with all the pictures going through them one at a time.

:-D

#6 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:21 PM

i found doing little or no studying and then doing a past paper was a good way of finding parts that i had forgotten and also for refreshing the memory

I never know how i study it just happens and i seem to get results so if it aint broke don't fix it and i can't mork without music not exactly gangster rap but music all the same wink.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#7 Bigmanstu

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:54 PM

I suggest ... NOT STUDYING.

The only subjects I studied for were the ones I did 'less than expected' in. blink.gif

#8 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:29 AM

I had huge intentions of being very organised this year and doing lots of studying and revising.

However, after acheiving an A in an exam [Higher Modern Studies] for which I did no work in class and no revision or studying at home [well, I went on Bitesize and looked through the stuff on there the day before the exam] for*, I am back in the "sod it" frame of mind.

I really need to change, cos one day I'm not going to be such a jammy git and I'm actually going to fail, fail very badly.

sad.gif

* I am not proud of this fact.
@

#9 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:08 PM

The easiest way for me was simply to write my own notes based on whatever notes we were given out. (and highlight any key points!) I would normally have read the notes 2/3 times and pretty much would have understood what we'd done.

Obviously some subjects aren't really very "note based", so for Maths and Physics, I simply done problems, and then loads of past paper questions.

Past paper work is essential for all subjects!!!

Mark

#10 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 06:35 PM

When do you think is a good time to start revising/making notes?

#11 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:37 PM

Well I would usually do it, unit by unit. We were always warned in advanced for NABs, so basically I would have them done in plenty time for the unit NAB.
That is what I done with many of my subjects and it didn't fail me. I wouldn't rush writing the notes until you are a week or two into the course, well AHs may be different if there is a higher workload.

Edited by sparky, 17 August 2004 - 07:38 PM.

Mark

#12 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:38 PM

What subjects are you doing this year Sparky?

#13 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:02 PM

AH Computing
AH Maths
H Geography
H Bus Man (maybe - see what work loads like!)
Mark

#14 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:52 PM

Cool, I'm doing:

Ad H Maths
H Geography
H Information Systems
H Biology

In my free column, I'm doing more Information Systems.

#15 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:22 PM

Cool, I'm doing:

Ad H Maths
H Geography
H Information Systems
H Biology

In my free column, I'm doing more Information Systems.

Ignore my last post, I've changed my subject choices:

Ad H Maths
H Geography
Int 2. Accounting and Finance
Int 2. Chemistry
Int 2. Information Systems

Can anyone recommend any resources for Int 2. Accounting and Finance?

TIA (Thanks in advance)

#16 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

revision is a personal thing and everyone does it slightly differently

my advice is do small bits but frequently

i wudnt sit at a desk and plan 1 hour then 10 mins break then another hour for lots of times

#17 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:48 PM

tongue.gif I revise for short periods at a time.

For subjects like physics where u need to memorise over 50 formulae, I write each of them on cards and place them about my room, on walls, on tv, on wardrobe, on pc.....sad I know, but it worked!

For english, I just practiced by writing a critical essay on each book/poem/play(etc) studied....one for each genre per week adn I done randome close readin questions

For H Art, I revised by memorising exact essays which I would rewrite in exam - got me an A!

For Accounts, practice makes perfect, try as many exam questions as u could

AH Maths also revise using exam questions, its the only way I'm afraid

Listen to music as u revise....keeps u happy!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#18 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:28 PM

My study guide is to get on with it huh.gif basically and it works. You've got to do it (if you want to pass) so don't make a big deal about it.

for french i just re-wrote the essays we were told to learn over and over until i basically knew them off by heart.Same method was used for speaking exam. We did alot of listening and reading practises in school too.

for history- i looked over course notes, re wrote them(in smaller note form)+learned them. I then put subheadings on bits of papers and tested how many points i could put on each section. For teh essay part, i memorised 5essays blink.gif it was a bloody nightmare to say the least but thankfully it paid off. We went over the past papers in class.

for physics - i looked over the wee red book thing with notes in it and done lots and lots of examples. Spent alot of time worknig through the pastpapers which really helped.

for maths - i jsut done lots and lots and lots...and lots of pastpaer questions.

for english- i memories all the quotes for all the things i was learning for the exam. I got my dad/bf/anyone really to say the quote and i'd have an explanation under it to recyte (i have no idea how to spell that word) back and vice verca.

Funnily enough i never, ever, listen to music whilst studying it jsut completely knocks me off course.The fact that i memorise alotof things means that a bit of music easily distracts me.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#19 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:59 PM

Thats me in sixth year and I haven't ever done any real revision so far. Yes, it's stupid and I would be achieving better if I did, but I'm quite a slacker. I'm going to try and change for exams this year..heh.

#20 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:51 PM

for AH Maths, I suggest you only do pastpapers as revision, this is the most essential, important thing u could do to get u an A!

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users