Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
HSN Book and Film Club - HSN forum

HSN Book and Film Club

53 replies to this topic

#1 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:41 PM

Seeing as you all liked the idea, I'm putting all the rules and regulations and so on in here...

Ok, first off. Each month, we'll do one book and one film together. The idea is that we all read the book/watch the film, then discuss what we thought of it. It'll get us all using our brains for something other than uni/school. It's meant to be fun, don't take it too seriously.

Seeing as it was my bright idea, I've to pick the book. Whoever's turn it is to pick a book/film, must give about a week's notice before the two week reading/viewing period begins. If that makes sense. That gives everyone time to go to their local library/pester friends and family to get a hold of the chosen book or film.

So, for the fortnight beginning the 13th of February, we'll be reading To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. I chose this one because a) I want to read it and b) I thought quite a lot of you might have read it before, giving us an easy first choice.

If you haven't read it, you can find out a bit more about it here.

SO, in brief:

13 Feb - 27 Feb - Reading To Kill a Mocking Bird
20 Feb - Whoever wants to pick a film, picks a film
27 Feb - Discussion on To Kill a Mocking Bird
27 Feb - 13 March - Viewing period for film
6 March - Next book chosen
13 March - discussion period on film

And so on.

Courtesy of Brendan, we have the lists of who picks a book or film and I've even added the date you've to have it by. Wow.

Sumbission date (reading/viewing period) Username (book/film - title)
6 Feb (13 Feb-27 Feb) Lindsay (book - To Kill a Mockingbird)
20 Feb (27 Feb - 13 March) bred (The Pianist)
6 March (13 March - 27 March) dehny (book - Invisible Monsters By Chuck Palahniuk)
20 March (27 March - 10 April) miss_macleod (film)
3 April (10 April - 24 April) maria (book)
17 April (24 April - 8 May) KhalidBoussouara (film)
1 May (8 May - 22 May) YIC (book)
15 May (22 May - 5 June) *sofax* (film)
29 May (5 June - 19 June) nathanm (book)
12 June (19 June - 3 July) gizmo (film)
26 June (3 July - 17 July *Suz* (book)
10 July (17 July - 31 July) John (film)
24 July (31 July - 14 August) tuppence (book)
7 August August (14 August- 28 August) Scott (film)
21 August (28 August - 11 September) Isla_from_Banff (book - Stephen King - Cujo)
4 September (11 Septemer - 25 Septmeber) Ally (film)
18 September (25 September - 9 October) KrazyK (book)

When you have chosen the book/film, on the date beside your name, PM me with it and I'll update this thread. I might sticky this so that it's easy to find and you always know what we're doing.

If you can't get the book/film read or watched, then that's fine. I do understand that you're all busy people, I have been at school once myself, so it's understandable if you don't get it done. But the books and films that we suggest, you might want to check out in your own time. :]

A good place to check for ideas for books at least would be The BBC Big Read. You don't have to suggest serious books or serious films. You can do anything at all. I was contemplating suggesting Bridget Jones for our first one, but I thought that some of you might kill me. tongue.gif

Another good place for inspiration would be looking at the book and DVD charts. For films, you can even suggest some that are out in the cinema just now. Some of us could even meet up and go together, that might be fun!

Anyway. Are you with me?

Everybody happy?

#2 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

sounds amazing!

#3 Isla from Banff

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm at the University of Aberdeen studying Biology with Chemistry and Psychology, I live in Aberdeen in a private rented flat (i'm too good for halls lol) and I work at Pizza Hut just up the road from my flat!<br /><br />I've recently gotten really into Neighbours thanks to my flatmate and in return I've gotten her into Hollyoaks! Hahaha revenge is sweet! lol<br /><br />I'm a big music fan and I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff. I'm really into Snow Patrol and The Kooks just now and yes I know I'm a loser but i don't care!<br /><br />I'm a tennor drummer with Turriff and District Pipe Band. We're only a grade 3 band but I wouldn't move bands if you paid me. We had a really good season this year as we are the North of Scotland Champion of Champions!!!!<br /><br />I love meeting new people so add me on msn if you want i don't mind.

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:47 PM

can't wait going to try and see if i can get the book out now lol (im in the school library using the computers!!!)

xx
I'm not a tease i'm just a reminder of what you can't please!!!!!

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

Looking forward to it. Not read To Kill a Mockingbird before.

Edited by bred, 07 February 2006 - 04:18 PM.

Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:19 PM

so, does that give us 2 weeks or a month to read the book?

cause i mean it only takes a couple of hours to watch a film, doesnt it?

#6 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Feb 7 2006, 03:55 PM)
Looking forward to it. Not read To Kill a Mockingbird before.

View Post

Same here.

14th August...I better get a move on ohmy.gif

#7 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:27 PM

lucky me, i bought that book just before my prelims but i never started...now i can biggrin.gif

and yeah scott, get a move on tongue.gif

#8 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Feb 7 2006, 04:19 PM)

View Post

Technically, you have 3 weeks to read it. But we'll just call it two.

Some of us do have lives, so we're not going to be dedicating every waking moment to this. tongue.gif It's just so that we do one book and one film a month. So it makes sense to do them 2 weeks apart.

#9 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Feb 7 2006, 04:36 PM)
Technically, you have 3 weeks to read it.  But we'll just call it two. 

Some of us do have lives, so we're not going to be dedicating every waking moment to this. tongue.gif  It's just so that we do one book and one film a month.  So it makes sense to do them 2 weeks apart.

View Post

ah...i see now smile.gif

#10 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Feb 7 2006, 04:19 PM)

View Post

yeh, but it can take to get the film in the first place wink.gif (unless you em...cough....coughdownloadcough) unsure.gif

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:00 PM

Although Lindsay hasn't read To Kill a Mockingbird, it is a pretty highly regarded novel by many who have read it, as I'm sure she's aware. If you haven't read the book or seen the film you're going to ask us all to investigate, then all I ask is that you're pretty confident it isn't something akin to The Famous Five or Spice World.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#12 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Feb 7 2006, 07:00 PM)
If you haven't read the book or seen the film you're going to ask us all to investigate, then all I ask is that you're pretty confident it isn't something akin to The Famous Five or Spice World.

View Post

darn it.

#13 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:06 PM

I think i'll sit this round out

i'm not exactly a reader, probabaly the cause of my bad spelling and lacking in a good grasp of the English language

#14 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:16 PM

It usually works the other way around

#15 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:36 PM

i'm gonna sit this round out. i did this book in standard grade english & analysed it to death, its a good storyline, but it kinda ruined it!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#16 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:50 PM

I did it for standard grade too, and I loved analysing it! I am one of the only people who loves analysing things but my english teacher made every book amazing and this was the first of them biggrin.gif

#17 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:13 AM

To Kill a Mockingbird. Read it in 2 weeks? I doubt it, seeing as it takes a night to read a couple of pages lol. Ach but I'll give it a shot.

#18 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:15 AM

I think you have 3 weeks

I have done this book for my higher personal study, so hey I can comment without reading it! (unless you want me to read it unsure.gif )

#19 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

good choice, not read it yet but heard good things about it!
gizmo
x
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

#20 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

This seems as if its gona be a popular thread, so I shall pin it!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users