• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Highers/Advanced Highers would you recommend?

princess

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hi, Looking for advice on Highers/Advanced Highers and what everyone would recommend to take. Our school is giving us out subject choice sheets this week already and I completely don't know what to choose. Any recommendations would be helpful! Thank you.

The Wedge Effect

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(princess @ Jan 31 2006, 04:41 PM)
Hi, Looking for advice on Highers/Advanced Highers and what everyone would recommend to take. Our school is giving us out subject choice sheets this week already and I completely don't know what to choose. Any recommendations would be helpful! Thank you.

View Post

Well, I'd recommend you do the subjects you're best at, as you're likely to pick something connected with that at uni.

Nathan

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:51 PM

what subjects/levels have you done so far?

princess

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

Currently doing highers in english, maths, modern studies, biology and french. At standard grade level I have all of above including history, german, chemistry and art. One subject I think sounds interesting for next year would be Psychology but not sure about the rest.

bred

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

What subjects are you doing this year?
What subjects do you like/are you interested most?
What subjects have the best teachers at your school?
What subjects are you best at?
What subjects do you think you will use in future (in higher education or in employment)?

Asking yourself these questions and seeing what subjects come to mind is probably the best way to decide.

Higher Geography and Higher History are pretty good IMO. Higher Philosophy would be useful for developing your essay writing skills.

dehny

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

advanced Higher History IMO fantastic course, basically self taught

only thing my teacher has taught me this year is essay structure, rest has been all me

bred

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

She's not done Higher History though so that might be a bit of an ask/she might not be allowed.

dehny

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Jan 31 2006, 09:24 PM)
She's not done Higher History though so that might be a bit of an ask/she might not be allowed.

View Post

id say if youve done sg and are willing to work for it itd be crashable

bred

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

I've not done it but I imagine you are right.

Ally

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:40 PM

AH Chemistry is a good one to have...

(Mind, don't take it if you're looking for a scive tongue.gif )

Steve

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(Ally @ Feb 1 2006, 12:40 AM)
(Mind, don't take it if you're looking for a sciveĀ  tongue.gif )

Same goes for AH Maths. It's well thought of, and it's really quite interesting if you're into that sort of thing!

dfx

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:39 AM

Whatever you do, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't "piggy back" an AH science or math just for the fun of it. At Higher and even more so at AH, you do subjects that you specialize in, that you're interested in!

wikked-dfc

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:13 AM

Higher Accounts, Its a great course, ask anyone who has sat it and its really hard to get less than a B for since You get loadsa marks just for copying numbers out of the question.

Isla from Banff

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

higher chem might be a good idea for you if you like the sound of physcology. if you really like biology and think it would benefit you it might be a good idea to do advanced higher because it is quite easy apparently but i wouldn't know.

xx

djh1878

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:56 PM

DO FRENCH!!!

Ahem, I mean I recommend Advanced French. Languages are really useful now, if you can speak a foreign language you will usually have better job prospects. smile.gif

*sofax*

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:43 PM

I'm doing higher French this year, got an A in the prelim yet I can't really speak a word without learning what im going to say of by heart!

princess

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:22 PM

I've finally decided what to take next year: Advanced Higher French, Advanced Higher Modern Studies and Higher Psychology. In the end I couldn't decide between Advanced Biology or Advanced French but taking into consideration what everyone said on here I finally decided to go for the French. Thanks for everyone's advice! smile.gif

djh1878

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(princess @ Feb 20 2006, 04:22 PM)
I've finally decided what to take next year: Advanced Higher French, Advanced Higher Modern Studies and Higher Psychology. In the end I couldn't decide between Advanced Biology or Advanced French but taking into consideration what everyone said on here I finally decided to go for the French. Thanks for everyone's advice! smile.gif

View Post

Good choice! smile.gif

Adv. French is much more enjoyable than Higher. As *sofax* says, in higher you can learn things off by heart to get by, but in advanced they teach you to essentially "think for yourself" on proper modern issues. cool.gif

maria

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:35 PM

im still unsure what i will take next year! so far im planning on doing crash Higher Human Biology and crash Higher Geography, heard good things about Geography, and all my mates do it, so think i will enjoy it! smile.gif

have to do Human Biology, as i need a second science, and i dont want to even think of doing Physics - lucky i pulled a 2 out of SG!! wink.gif

westmd86

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:07 PM

i suggest higher history. it is a really good course that i enjoyed. would recommend avoiding Product Design and Music. I have really hated these courses

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic