• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Extra admissions test

Ally

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

Seems like (next year!) majority of medschools are gonna require students to sit extra entrance tests:

http://www.medlink-uk.com/UKCAT/UKCAT%20me...files/frame.htm

Nathan

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(Ally @ Jan 26 2006, 09:52 PM)
Seems like (next year!) majority of medschools are gonna require students to sit extra entrance tests:

http://www.medlink-uk.com/UKCAT/UKCAT%20me...files/frame.htm

View Post

ohmy.gif OMG! But i suppose if you dont get a good mark then you shouldnt apply for medicine...and then you havent wasted 4 spaces on your ucas form

werlop

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hmm, I wonder how it will compare to the BMAT... I did wonder when something like this would happen.

Seems a bit strange that this new test won't have a science paper like the BMAT.

Ally

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Jan 27 2006, 07:27 PM)
Seems a bit strange that this new test won't have a science paper like the BMAT.

View Post

Yeah, that's quite weird. It says it's not curriculum-based either; for the BMAT it tests GCSE knowledge, doesn't it?

Chünz

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

Damnit... oh well better start getting smart. sleep.gif

Nathan

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE($D$2 @ Feb 2 2006, 10:46 PM)
Damnit... oh well better start getting smart.  sleep.gif

View Post

laugh.gif

me too!

Nathan

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:57 PM

Does anybody know when the website

www.ukcat.ac.uk is planned to go live?

all i've heard is that it's this month sometime unsure.gif

Nathan

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

for anyone applying to Medicine or Dentistry in 2007 later...

The UKCAT site is now live:

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/home/

However, the example questions and test centres won't be online until end May/June

But for now, there is still some info on the test

Nathan

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:33 AM

Registration is now online, and example test questions

Vixus

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

I thought they already did? I'm surprised they're only just instating it.

Nathan

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:35 PM

Interesting fact for medicine/dentistry applicants;

if you recieve EMA at £30 per week, you are elegable to sit your UKCAT for free..all you need to do is fill in a form and send it to nottingham wink.gif

jackbauer

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:53 PM

additional practice questions now available smile.gif

Nathan

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

I'm sitting it on 3rd Aug...scary biscuits

Allana

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

I'm sitting it on the 5th of August smile.gif

Allana

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

I've been doing practise questions and I actually enjoy working my way through them!

The only ones which appear to be my weakness are associating shapes! laugh.gif

Oh dear, I must not be very observant. tongue.gif There are other websites and stuff with 'matching shapes' questions so I can brush up on them if they make an appearance in the test.

I like the ones where you have to formulate realistic sentances using codes.

What does everyone else think about it?

Michael

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:17 PM

Ive did this test yesterday, its just a weird. When you leave its difficult to have any idea how you've done but the one thing I will say is that the questions arent too difficult but they get progressively harder in each section and time is definately the biggest issue. There just isnt enough of it. I mean I think if you break down the sections for the shapes you get somethin like 9.3 secs per question which is pretty ridiculous.

Allana

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:38 PM

I tend to be quite good with timing, although I've heard from several people that you simply don't get enough for this test.

Is the ukcat used as a last resort when the admissions panel is unsure about the candidate? Or do they consider everyone's ukcat score?

I tend to be quite good with timing, although I've heard from several people that you simply don't get enough for this test.

Is the ukcat used as a last resort when the admissions panel is unsure about the candidate? Or do they consider everyone's ukcat score?

Nathan

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(Allana @ Jul 19 2006, 07:38 PM) View Post

Considering most of the Scottish unis use a points system..ie academics has so many points, extra-curricular has so many points, etc, I would imagine that it would just be allocated a certain number of points....but I'm not even gonna attempt to fathom how they choose their students huh.gif

John

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:41 PM

Since when have Scottish Unis used a points system for selecting pupils?

Nathan

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Sodium_Ho @ Jul 19 2006, 09:41 PM) View Post

Since when have Scottish Unis used a points system for selecting pupils?

Apparently they do for medicine...i dunno unsure.gif

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic