• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Discuss your answers... Discuss you answers to the exam...

porsch1909

Posted 03 June 2004 - 02:41 PM

a difficult paper. the cut off should come down from last years 76% because i think we can all agree it was more difficult. i put the sulpuric acid going to the electrolysis lol. i put it to the neutralisation one first then changed it. touch and go if i get an A i think. if the cut off is lower then im okay i think.

little_minx

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (porsch1909 @ Jun 3 2004, 03:41 PM)
  i put the sulpuric acid going to the electrolysis

I did that too!

Rubberducky

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:01 PM

okay.. for the last question i put ethyne too and i only drew two lines, didnt really get that question and didnt have that much time to read all the stuff bout it..

Ally

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (werlop @ Jun 2 2004, 12:37 PM)
Has anyone else noticed that all the problem solving for most highers is straight out the associated advanced higher KU.

A here we come:)

Well, I have noticed some weird problem-solving questions. In the 2003 exam they put a weird problem-solving question for the second last question; this seems to be a new addition to the exam as they did not have that in the 2000-2002 exams as far as I can see. Maybe they are putting this in due to the fact that there are no more Grid questions?

Ally

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:29 PM

What did everyone put for the question where you had to describe how you could find the molar volume of hydrogen?

sparky

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:19 PM

The enthalpy of combustion was negative, sorry, forgot to type that in smile.gif

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:22 PM

I think thats the one with Electrolysis.

and the volume of hydrogen obatined when the moles of hydrogen are known from the charge equations (current * time)

This should have been easy marks as I remember doing this as a PS in 2003 exam.

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (ally @ Jun 3 2004, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (werlop @ Jun 2 2004, 12:37 PM)
Has anyone else noticed that all the problem solving for most highers is straight out the associated advanced higher KU.

A here we come:)

Well, I have noticed some weird problem-solving questions. In the 2003 exam they put a weird problem-solving question for the second last question; this seems to be a new addition to the exam as they did not have that in the 2000-2002 exams as far as I can see. Maybe they are putting this in due to the fact that there are no more Grid questions?

not all comes from AH

and not all AH comes from first year uni

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (ally @ Jun 2 2004, 12:38 PM)
Oh yeh I meant to say propyne, I got that aswell. Just that I wrote prop-1-yne instead.

yeah u still get the mark for this

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (ally @ Jun 2 2004, 12:43 PM)
What did you get for how you measure the molar volume of Hydrogen?

Oh and btw, does anyone know how CO2 can dissolve in water.

yes

under the correct conditions i.e. closed system CO2 can dissolve in water to form carbonic acid

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Laura @ Jun 2 2004, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (ally @ Jun 2 2004, 12:49 PM)

In the multiple Choice did anyone get D (3+4) for the mass of the ions.

Yes, I got that too

btw ally, I think that the CO2 dissolving thing might have something to do with polar covalent bonds in the CO2 molecule (not sure if this is right coz I havn't checked the data book - I think I might burn it lol! tongue.gif )

laura

carbonyl is polar but CO2 is overall non-polar since its a linear moleucle and is sysmmetrical so partial polarisation of molecule cancels, so technically this is not the correct answer. but it does use the hydrogen bonding in water to bond to the oxygen etc but the mechanism of this is beyond the scope of Higher.

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (ally @ Jun 2 2004, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (mel @ Jun 2 2004, 02:00 PM)
Hey I think i put sodium chloride for the raw material question. 
I put displacement for one of the questions too but I dont remember puttin 55.5 for any of them.
I got 3 + 4 for the mass of ions.

Did anyone else find the last question strange??

The last question was set in a problem solving context so you did not need any real understanding.

Yeah it was quite weird when I looked at it, but I think I understood what it was asking for.

the last q's are usually A level so don't worry.

in general as the paper progressed it gets more difficult thats for both sections a and b.

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Laura @ Jun 2 2004, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (ally @ Jun 2 2004, 01:31 PM)
Also what did everyone write for the flow diagram?

Did anyone get the reaction to be a displacement 1? blink.gif

Also, did anyone draw the sulphuric acid going into the neutrailser bit?

I drew sulphuric acid going into the neutraliser bit, not because I knew that was where it was supposed to go, but because I couldn't really see anywhere else it could go blink.gif

I thought that question was quite hard (Q3 I think it was)

I didn't really get what gas A and process B were - I just guessed. I think I put extraction for process B but I don't even think that is a type of reaction!

btw, 55.55 sounds vaguely familiar, except I think I rounded it to 55.56 - do you think that'll be ok? unsure.gif

it depends on the no of sig. figures in the data in the question

however watch rounding if u put even +/- 0.01 too high u will lost at least 1/2 mark.

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (maloney_luver @ Jun 2 2004, 05:35 PM)
i thought the exam was relatively straightforward....me and my teacher both got 58.55kg for the mass of zinc deposited but we disagreed on the value for the enthalpy of neutralistion question. For the question with the magnesium ribbon i drew the graduated tube inverted and filled with the water with the funnel upside down and sticking inside the tube, the magnesium ribbon sitting under the funnel and it was all in the beaker of water. overall not bad at all smile.gif

if thats for gas measurement either inverted tube or gas syringe is acceptable

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jun 2 2004, 10:58 PM)
The enthalpy of neutralisation was -54.4 kJ mol -1

What u think an A will be if its between 80 and 75% I might just manage it!

thought to be more 78 way as it was on the whole slightly easier than 2002, not confirmed of course

markers meeting for H Chemistry next week so some ppl's scripts will already be marked by Monday tongue.gif as they use some scripts as examples. think of those lucky ppl. its a pity their mark sits in the SQa computer for a few more months dormant.

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (blueheaduk @ Jun 2 2004, 11:30 PM)
The gas was used to make sulphuric acid.... so it had to be sulphur dioxide. I think i wrote trioxide though sad.gif

sulphur trioxide is the gas used to make sulphuric acid

the sulphur dioxide is converted to SO3 but its the SO3 which reacts

james1

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ Jun 3 2004, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (blueheaduk @ Jun 2 2004, 11:30 PM)
The gas was used to make sulphuric acid.... so it had to be sulphur dioxide. I think i wrote trioxide though sad.gif

sulphur trioxide is the gas used to make sulphuric acid

the sulphur dioxide is converted to SO3 but its the SO3 which reacts

i just brought a huge batch of news to most ppl again ohmy.gif

SO2 is NOT directly used

it shud have been easy if ur teacher explained the contact process

Ally

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:24 PM

So the answer was Sulpur Trioxide?

Our class certianly did not get taught about the Contact Process; is it in the syllabus?

If it was Sulpur Trioxide I doubt many people got the answer; with the exception on blueheaduk of course.

james1

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:37 AM

I didnt see the questiona and its nto official

But i think they could ask for PS

SO3 is definitely the gas used to manufacture sulhphuric acid.

hope this helps

maloney_luver

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:38 PM

james1 Posted on Jun 3 2004, 09:34 PM
  QUOTE (maloney_luver @ Jun 2 2004, 05:35 PM)
i thought the exam was relatively straightforward....me and my teacher both got 58.55kg for the mass of zinc deposited but we disagreed on the value for the enthalpy of neutralistion question. For the question with the magnesium ribbon i drew the graduated tube inverted and filled with the water with the funnel upside down and sticking inside the tube, the magnesium ribbon sitting under the funnel and it was all in the beaker of water. overall not bad at all  

if thats for gas measurement either inverted tube or gas syringe is acceptable 

well seen as how it gave u the apparatus to use, it had to be the graduated tube as the gas syringe wasnt there! nice try for trying to look smart but i knew i was right anyway

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked