• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chance

ColinAllardyce

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:14 PM

Im doing the higher computing course this year and have found out that i am relativley weak at the programming side of it, however, seem to be managing the theory very well. Whats the chance of getting a strong B or A in the final exam? And what percentage of the practical goes towards your final mark?

Replies would be appreciated

Thanks, Col

coca

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:53 AM

Eh, you'll do fine as long as you remember your algorithms.

Find maximum,
Find minimum,
Etc.

John

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:24 PM

Exam - 140 marks
Coursework Task - 60 marks

A good B is likely, but a good A is unlikely, you really need to do well in the coursework task to achieve a good A

st-and Paul

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

Of this coursework task half is based on a systems recommedation which is a scenario where you will recommend a particular computer system based on the requirements of the scenario. The one i had last year was a graphics company. This part is worth 30 of the marks you get for coursework so you should do well here. The programming is understandbly quite hard at times but really should be achievable if you prepare a solution in psuedocode BEFORE you try to code it on the computer. I am now at uni doing Computer Science as my main degree subject, and it is essential that you do this, cos u will just make it so much harder for yourself. Only 12 marks out of the 30 were for the actual code in last years coursework task. So concentrate on the design, testing and evaluation stages as they attract the most marks. Also in the exam if u know the standard algorithms u will be fine cos u only have to give them in psuedocode, not the langauge you learn to program in.

dehny

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(pgm9 @ Jan 25 2006, 09:17 PM)
Of this coursework task half is based on a systems recommedation which is a scenario where you will recommend a particular computer system based on the requirements of the scenario. The one i had last year was a graphics company. This part is worth 30 of the marks you get for coursework so you should do well here. The programming is understandbly quite hard at times but really should be achievable if you prepare a solution in psuedocode BEFORE you try to code it on the computer. I am now at uni doing Computer Science as my main degree subject, and it is essential that you do this, cos u will just make it so much harder for yourself. Only 12 marks out of the 30 were for the actual code in last years coursework task. So concentrate on the design, testing and evaluation stages as they attract the most marks. Also in the exam if u know the standard algorithms u will be fine cos u only have to give them in psuedocode, not the langauge you learn to program in.

View Post

last years was jokingly easy compared to this year

st-and Paul

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:45 AM

What did they set you this year then? I had to do a file server/client in Java for one of my practicals this year. And they assumed we knew nothing about programming. Quite far on for a course that lasts a grand total of 11 weeks, with only 3 hours of classes a week. :-)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic