• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced Higher English: The Dissertation

arizona_night

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

yeah someone in my class did pride and predudice and little women and got a very good dissertation out of it.

dondon

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:07 PM

^little women wasnt written by jane austen?!?

it would probably be easier doing something like jane austen coz a lot of people do that so there will be lots of stuff to help you

arizona_night

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:44 PM

yeah i know little women wasn't written by jane austen, but it provided a good comparison to pride and predudice.

i'd agree that it is easier doing something like jane austen because there's already a lot of stuff that has been written about it and you could source to help you. but its more important in my opinion to do a text that you like or understand as your going to have to do a lot of work on it.

Discogirl17

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

Little Women. Thats a good book and is actually easier to read than Jane Austen.

stevon

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:00 PM

Pride & Prejudice
Mansfield Park
Persuasion

Incase anyone was wondering. One of my best friends did pretty much exactly the same dissertation as I'm doing, which I've read and she got an A for it, so I've got all the assistance I need from her! Shes digging out her notes for it this summer for me, so all is good!

Anyone else had to pick their books?

arizona_night

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:27 PM

lucky you!

i'd recomend choosing your books and reading them as early as possible, i didn't make my final choice until about october (although i only joined english in september) and i was struggling to find time to get the books read. so much in fact that when i handed my first draft in i hadn't read half of my second book...oops, lol

Broken Fairy Wings

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:11 PM

i've just started the AH English course & have already been told to choose the books for my dissertation & start making notes if at all possible. i've chosen 'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath & 'The Trick Is To Keep Breathing' by Janice Galloway & am gonna look at the differences in their portrayal of the descent into madness. 'The Bell Jar' i can work with no problem, but i'm having a bit of difficulty knowing where to start with 'The Trick Is To Keep Breathing' so i guess i was just wondering if anyone knows of any websites that would have notes on this novel for me to start from? SparkNotes & all the other usual websites don't seem to recognise it at all, yet i've been told it's a pretty popular text & i should be able to find help notes on it. i'm comletely lost. Any suggestions that might help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance & apologies for the ramble.

Wheelybin

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:05 PM

"The Bell Jar" is a great novel. I haven't read the other one though... I'll go an have a look for it.

Don't worry too much about your Dissertation. I mean, for my first draft I was given the lowest mark in the class if 14/40. Then at the end of the course, when the results came through, I was the only one in the class with an A. Score!

The Wizard of Magicland

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:07 PM

I wanted to do a comparison of male and female perspectives of the Arturian legend, but the teachers didn't think my texts had "literary merit". The wisest thing to do is pick a text which everyone has heard of cos then you have no problems with it being unacceptable. I'm now doing an analysis of the sister figure in Jane Austen's Pride and Predjudice and Sense and Sensibility, with reference to six of her other novels. Its not quite as unique or interesting, but the teachers like it.

Yurimaru

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:39 AM

Wondered if anyone could give me some ideas for the topic of my dissertation? I've got to have a plan in next week and I've not even properly decided my topic!
I would really like to do Angela Carter - I've read The Magic Toyshop, The Bloody Chamber, Black Venus, Nights at the Circus and I'm about to start Wise Children.
I wondered about doing something about the feminist aspect of the texts? Oh, and focusing on style and language as well.

What do you think?
All advice appreciated!

Hell

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

Hi
i've just started to consider my dissertation(yes i know its a tad late) i'm thinking about doing Frankenstien, A Picture Of Dorian Grey and Dracula -do you think these texts would be ok???? I'm thinking about writing something to do with how each of the authors create monsters, the issues of this time period(they were all written around the same time) which have been reflected in the work/monsters created in the story(e.g. fall of the empire, sex issues ect) and how the novels explore the theme of monsters-do you think this is alright to do for my dissertation--any better ways of wording it?

celticlinzi67

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:31 AM

just handed in my dissertation topic today, teacher sort of screwed up her face but didn't actually say anything so I'm hoping its ok.

its on "A View from the Bridge" by Arthur Miller, "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins-Gilman and "Daddy" (with reference to other poems and her journals) by Sylvia Plath.

something about a close male's dominance over a female and the detrimental effects it can have, n also there's a recurring theme of lapse into insanity in there too (definately in the yellow wallpaper, not so much with eddie carbone in a view but slightly)

any good ideas on where i can get notes? im ok for a view from the bridge cos i know it inside out, and im pretty confident about managing to get stuff on plath, but im a bit worried about getting notes for wallpaper? blink.gif

stevon

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:37 PM

I changed my dissertation... Its on the way that Charles Dickens presents women through different stages of his writing career, its a pretty whacky topic, pretty difficult too, but I'm chasing an A, so have to put a bit of work in I guess.

Jude the Obscure, Tess of d'Urbervilles and Far from the Madding Crowd are my texts, about half way through Tess, so really need to get a move on with the reading! Also, need to start reading Bleak House sad.gif

tiggerish

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:49 PM

Oh. My. Fk.

I have just finished my books and they suck!!!

Has anyone <i>started</i> writing their dissertation yet as I am beginning to freak out and I need a B for this subject?

Yurimaru

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:06 PM

I've just changed my text and my topic - so no I haven't really started writing yet. I'm doing Mervyn Peake - The Titus Groan trilogy.

I'm looking for an A for this - so I'm really starting to freak! So much so that this morning I informed my English teacher that I was dropping out...hmm!

jennie_from_the_docks

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

Hey!

Wonder if anyone can help - I've chose to do the darker side of human nature as a topic. I'm doing Heart Of Darkness Lord Of The Flies and Super-Cannes. I have notes for the first two but not Super-Cannes. It's by J.G.Ballard if anyone knows where I can get notes from I would be eternally greatful!

Jennie
x x x x x

Larry

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

HELP!! Does anyone know how to properly reference for the dissertation??????

Larry

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:50 PM

^actally it's fine, i know now. 1 week until i have to had mine in. still haven't finished. *runs away screaming*

stevon

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:29 PM

How'd you all get on?

I ended up doing mines on Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Jude the Obscure and Far From the Madding Crowd. I produced what I think was a pretty decent dissertation, hoping for at least 35/40 for it.

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic