• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

News Use this thread to discuss the news.

Floorball Maniac

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:05 PM

Use this thread to discuss the news.

Bred: http://news.google.co.uk is an excellent resource for the news. smile.gif

Crime bill targets replica guns

What do you think?

Edited by bred, 04 January 2006 - 01:02 PM.

ermd

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

Seems fair enough to me. I don't see why people would want to own a replica weapon anyways. Well, excluding the film industry etc.

ermd

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

Reading the rest of that article though, the emphasis is far too heavily placed on authoritarian "stamp this behaviour out" ideas. They should be thinking about prevention, not heavy handed sentencing.

Floorball Maniac

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ Jun 8 2005, 08:18 PM)
Reading the rest of that article though, the emphasis is far too heavily placed on authoritarian "stamp this behaviour out" ideas. They should be thinking about prevention, not heavy handed sentencing.

View Post

I agree, prevention is the key. I also feel there is no easy answer to something like this.

AppleCore

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:50 PM

i think they are rather gd proposals!

Floorball Maniac

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

The password for your next phone is...

What do you think about this! I feel it is a great idea for security and for convenience but with everything it will have its weaknesses. Criminals will find ways!

smb

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:58 PM

(i think this thread should be pinned)

Lesley

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

there was a thing on ITV news tonight showing a video image captured on a phone of a boy "playing chicken" with a train. the wee guy survived, but it was a very narrow miss. i don't see what thrill you would get from that huh.gif

AppleCore

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Floorball Maniac @ Jun 9 2005, 04:52 PM)

What do you think about this! I feel it is a great idea for security and for convenience but with everything it will have its weaknesses. Criminals will find ways!

View Post

what happens hen u cut ur finger/??

Floorball Maniac

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ Jun 9 2005, 11:04 PM)

View Post

View Post

You scan several fingers for that reason, I believe.

AppleCore

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(Floorball Maniac @ Jun 9 2005, 11:06 PM)

View Post

View Post

View Post

ohh!!!.. then why do they only show ppl scanin one thumb?? oh! and, if they scan all, i suspect they will want all of the fingers to match right.. so if one is cut..its stilll kinda.. umm.. not going to work??

Floorball Maniac

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ Jun 9 2005, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE(Floorball Maniac @ Jun 9 2005, 11:06 PM)

View Post

View Post

View Post

ohh!!!.. then why do they only show ppl scanin one thumb?? oh! and, if they scan all, i suspect they will want all of the fingers to match right.. so if one is cut..its stilll kinda.. umm.. not going to work??

View Post

Firstly, I have no idea and this is just what I think.

When you set the "password" i.e by scanning your finger, you will scan several fingers. When asked for your password you choose a finger. I don't know much about it really.

coca

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:51 PM

According to the picture you register all your fingers with the system.

The text contradicts this by saying: "use the wrong finger and access is denied" (paraphrased), so who knows!

It sure would be a good idea to register all your fingers though.

Floorball Maniac

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE(pseudotoxic @ Jun 10 2005, 05:51 PM)
The text contradicts this by saying: "use the wrong finger and access is denied" (paraphrased), so who knows!

View Post

I think it means the wrong finger as in another persons finger!

Floorball Maniac

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

Pressure for Africa poverty deal

Everyone is bound to have some views on this!

ermd

Posted 11 June 2005 - 11:17 AM

Looking better, though the Americans still want to fund the write-off through the World Bank's poor nation developemnt fund rather than their own pockets mad.gif.

Also the fact they will only wite off debt in countries that show a commitment to "sound economic policies" and reducing corruption. In other words, we'll write off your debt, if you function how we want you to.

KhalidBoussouara

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:46 PM

There are 4 solutions to the corrupt dictator problem:

Give them no money. People then die and the dictator doesn't get a nice car.

Give them money. Most goes to the dictator to buy a nice car. A little bit goes to the people and they are a tiny bit less likely to die.

Forcibly remove the dictators. Set up a democratic government (a real one) so money goes to the right places. Less people die and they get more money allowing them more of a chance to generate their own.

Keep whining about dictators/refusal to give their countries money and nothing gets done.

I think I would go with option 3.

coca

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(KhalidBoussouara @ Jun 11 2005, 06:46 PM)
I think I would go with option 3.

View Post

Me too smile.gif

ermd

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(KhalidBoussouara @ Jun 11 2005, 05:46 PM)
Forcibly remove the dictators. Set up a democratic government (a real one) so money goes to the right places. Less people die and they get more money allowing them more of a chance to generate their own.

View Post

[sarcasm]
Yeah, because we can see that working in Iraq every single day can't we?
[/sarcasm]

dondon

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(Floorball Maniac @ Jun 10 2005, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE(pseudotoxic @ Jun 10 2005, 05:51 PM)

View Post

I think it means the wrong finger as in another persons finger!

View Post

a cut finger can still be identified coz most of the fingerprint is still actually there and it heals back to the original fingerprint

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic