• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2002 - Multiple Choice - Q18 Reduction Question

david__taylor

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:07 PM

I'm stuck as to how you find out if a reaction is reduction or not. This is the one I got stuck on:

Which reaction can be classified as reduction? (Note: I couldn't get small numbers).

A. CH3CH2OH --> CH3COOH

B. CH3CH(OH)CH3 --> CH3COCH3

C. CH3CH2COCH3 --> CH3CH2CH(OH)CH3

D. CH3CH2CHO --> CH3CH2COOH

At first I found out what was missing from each reaction, ie, for A. 2 Hydrogens have been lost and 1 Oxygen added in. At the end I chose answer D as 1 Oxygen had been gained (reduction is Gain of electrons) so I thought it would be gaining electrons by gaining an oxygen. Obviously that's wrong, the answer is C in which 4 Hydrogens have been gained.

How is C reduction?

dfx

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:14 PM

In hydrocarbons reduction/oxidation is a change in the Oxygen to Hydrogen ratio. I can't recall whether a bigger/smaller ration and what with respect to what it is, but I remember seeing it on the HSN chemistry notes for Unit 2. I'm pretty sure its to do with that smile.gif

david__taylor

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:15 PM

Kl Thanks, I'll check them out then.

werlop

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

Oxidation - increase in the O:H ratio (which also can be seen as a decrease in the H:O ratio.

Reduction - decrease in the O:H ratio, or increase in the H:O ratio.

C is reduction because the number of oxygen atoms has remained constant while more hydrogen atoms have been added, so the H:O ratio has increased.

david__taylor

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

thanks werlop and dfx. i understand now.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic