• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2001 - Written Paper - Q6(b) Help

david__taylor

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

Past Paper 2001 - Section B

Q6(b) What are they on about here with the acidic oxide and basic oxide? I had to guess but got it wrong.
How do you know if it is an acidic oxide or a basic oxide? And what are they?

bred

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:45 AM

Sodium hydroxide is an alkali so aluminium oxide will behave as an acidic oxide to react.

david__taylor

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:34 AM

Ooooooh, thanks very much, it better come up on Tuesday now that I understand.

werlop

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

Remember METAL OXIDES, ie things like NaOH, or LiOH are basic, ie they will neutralise an acid and produce water in the process.

NON-METAL oxides, eg SO base2.gif or Cl base2.gif O are acidic, ie react to neutralise a base, producing water in the process.

Some oxides, eg Al base2.gif O base3.gif , or water are AMPHOTERIC, that is can behave as an acid OR a base.

david__taylor

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ May 26 2005, 12:10 PM)
Remember METAL OXIDES, ie things like NaOH, or LiOH are basic, ie they will neutralise an acid and produce water in the process.

NON-METAL oxides, eg HCl or HBr are acidic, ie react to neutralise a base, producing water in the process.

Some oxides, eg Al base2.gif O base3.gif , or water are AMPHOTERIC, that is can behave as an acid OR a base.

View Post

How are HCL and HBr non-metal oxides? I know they are non-metals but how are they oxides, they isn't even Oxygen in them?

werlop

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:10 PM

Sorry, wasn't paying attention to what I was typing, I just thought "acid" and wrote down the first acids which came to my head.

Non-metal oxides are acidid though.

I've corrected my post.

Ally

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:02 PM

An acidic oxide is an oxide of a non-metal which reacts with a metal to form an acid. Note, however, that they are not themselves acids since they aren't able to act as proton (H+) donors

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic