Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2002 Winter diet paper 2 Q.10 - HSN forum

2002 Winter diet paper 2 Q.10

5 replies to this topic

#1 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

I know you use the discriminant for this but I am completely lost with the caculation please help.

#2 aldo

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:38 PM

You are given the equation of the circle & the line.

Re-arrange the equation of the line so you have y= k - 2x.

Substitute this value of y into the equation for the circle.

A line is a tangent to a circle where b power2.gif - 4ac = 0, so you want to arrange the above equation ang get the following:

5x power2.gif - (2+4k)x + (k power2.gif -4) = 0

Now using the discriminant, b power2.gif - 4ac = 0, and factorising you should get that k = 7 OR k = -3 and since you are asked to find the value of k where k > 0 you can conclude that the value for k is k = 7.

That make sense???

#3 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:39 PM

I'm stuck on this question to. What is the discriminant?

#4 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:46 PM

5x sq - (2+4k)x + (k sq -4) = 0

At this piont, suppose your equation was:

5x sq - (1 + 2k) 2x ....

Wouldn't it make more sense since you've taken out the common factor of 2x, not just x ? Or does the coefficient of x outside the bracket ALWAYS have to be 1?

#5 aldo

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

A quadratic is an expression of the form:

ax power2.gif + bx + c

If you try to calculate the discriminant of a quadratic you must have in the above form.

a is the coefficient of x power2.gif

b is the coefficient of x

c is a constant term

Therefore, your discriminant value would be incorrect as it is the coefficient of the x term on its own.

That make sense??

#6 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks! biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users