Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2002- Winter Diet - Paper II - Q11 - HSN forum

2002- Winter Diet - Paper II - Q11

11 replies to this topic

#1 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

I've been looking around threads on this site looking for an explanation of how to do this, but I couldn't find anything that explained it for me.

How do I get started in this question? I'm able to do the integration of a single equation, and beyond. But before that, I'm stumped.
There are sooooo many lines! What to do with them all!
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#2 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:42 PM

This is quite a tough question but taken a step at a time is the same as the easy ones.

Basically you have two 'area between two curves' calculations added together with some fractions to make things harder for you!

Find the area between f(x) and y=-6 by integrating f(x) - (-6) repeat with g(x) and y=-6 and add your answers together should give the right answer.

Doing it twice with fractions is why it is 7 marks.

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#3 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:50 PM

Ah, I am seeing how to do it...
It shows the seperation of f(x) and g(x) very badly...
Cheers again!
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#4 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

Can someone please write down how you would start this I am confused thanks.

#5 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:19 PM

A = Integration of (f (x) - 6) dx + Integration of (g(x) - (-6)) dx

You know the limits...

Out of curiosity, CAN you do the second bit integration (g(x) - (-6))dx EVEN IF g(x) and the line y = -6 never intersect? I actually did the area between 5 and 0 and then subtracted it from the total area of the whole rectangle which is 6 x 5 = 30 ?

#6 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:46 PM

user posted image

That's how I done it; make sure once you integrate it you plug the numbers correctly into your calculator.

#7 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:51 PM

Thats what I thought too since it logically made sense.

But, if you look at the way they've done it in the marking scheme. Can you integrate for the area between a curve and line that dont meet? Like in the case of this question the line and curve never intersect - for the second bit that is, g(x) and y = -6. Or doesn't that matter?

#8 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:53 PM

if they dont meet then there is no enclosed area to measure or am i missing something

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#9 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

That's what I thought too, there's no area enclosed. Lemme post a diagram..

#10 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

Right, so I approached it as Ally did by integrating between 5 and 0, and then subtracting the area from the rectangle (6 x 5 = 30).

However, technically, when you take this approach above, you're basically integrating between A = Integral of g(x) - 0 , right? cause y = 0 is the x-axis. That's perfectly fine cause the x-axis intersects the curve. But what about in this case where it doesn't, could you similarly do A = Integral of g(x) - (-6) ...?

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: graph.jpg

#11 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:02 PM

if you were asked to find the area between though two lines in the parameters shown then yes it would be fine

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#12 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

I think this question has gone over many peoples heads it is so difficult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users