• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quick Question About Format Of Essays Is bullet pointing them okay?

bigears1

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

Is bullet pointing the essays okay? I mean like proper bullet pointing, e.g
Genetic Engineering

- The required gene is located using a gene probe
- An endonuclease enzyme is used to cut the required gene out, and to cut the plasmid open
- DNA ligase is used to stick the gene into the plasmid.
etc..etc.....

thanks.....

werlop

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:26 AM

I'm not sure, although I don't think you would want to do that with your second essay as you might lose the coherence mark.

I can't see why you couldn't do it for the first essay though.

Then again, you probably won't be that pushed for time, I usually have about just under and hour and a half left when I get to the essays.

Also, did you know that if you wrote all four essays they would all be marked and the ones with the highest score used? I might do that if I have spare time in the exam.

bigears1

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:37 AM

Thanks, yeah your right about the time, there is usually plenty left, so i guess it would be good idea to write in essay style
The coherence mark is for staying on topic and not jumping about right?
and relevence is for, well staying on topic and not discussing, e.g the cytochrome system when you are asked to discuss glycolysis and krebs cycle?
thanks, anyway.
The writing and extra essay doesnt sound like a bad idea if you see 2 essays that dont look too nice.

HatingHighers

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

Our teacher said it's fine to bullet point the first essay.

For the second essay the coherence mark is for any two from:

The writing must be under sub headings or divided into paragraphs.
Related information must be grouped together
The account must be presented in a logical and progressive way

Any 2 from the above and at least 5 correct points overall. So I guess you'd be ok to bullet point it - the SQA discourage people from bullet pointing either essay mind you.

Did you know that if you plot 2 graphs (i.e. if you don't know which one's better, so you do one on the extra graph paper at the back) they mark both and give the higher score.

UAE_SOUL

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:16 PM

thans,
i am not sure if it's ok to drow a diagram in the essay

xpurple_starsx

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:22 PM

Diagrams are fine as long as you use them to explain your points and don't just put them in randomly.

werlop

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:37 PM

If you do a diagram make sure you annotate it correctly.

Diagrams would be useful in describing respiration, photosynthesis and other things like that.

YIC

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

BTW, I have a good memory aid for remembering aerobic respiration substance names in order. (glycolysis and Krebs Cycle)

GPAC 5444

G = Glucose
P = Pyruvic acid
A = Acetyl CoA
C = Citric acid

5 = 5C
4= 4C
4= 4C
4= 4C

If you have difficulty remembering GPAC 544, replace the G for a 2 and you have a real G.

(Ignore the last comment if you don't get it)

werlop

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

Just for information about bullet points in essays, I got this from a principal assessors report:

Candidates should avoid using a series of bullet points in answers to Section C, particularly to question 2.

UAE_SOUL

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:11 PM

thanxs

bigears1

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ May 17 2005, 04:46 PM)

If you have difficulty remembering GPAC 544, replace the G for a 2 and you have a real G.

(Ignore the last comment if you don't get it)

View Post

biggrin.gif

Ally

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:51 PM

It's probably not advisable; my teacher always told us not too.

bigears1

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:59 PM

Yeah i think i will just do it essay style, with the use of a diagram if needed!

Vixus

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:31 AM

GPAC 544?

Weejp101

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

2PAC 544 cool.gif

x_Claire_x

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:36 AM

in march i went to a biology conference and one of the leaders said that it was ok to do it in bullet points . . but then again he was strange rolleyes.gif lol

ScotlandGirl

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(werlop @ May 17 2005, 11:26 AM) View Post

Also, did you know that if you wrote all four essays they would all be marked and the ones with the highest score used? I might do that if I have spare time in the exam.

Is this still true, does anyone know? It would certainly solve the 'which essay should I do?' dilemma which I always seem to have.

I wonder if it would just make you seem a bit thick to the examiner though, as if you didn't realise that you only needed to do 2!

Nathan

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(SQA Higher Biology Marking Scheme 2005)
10. Extended response questions: if candidates give two answers where this is a choice, mark both and give the higher score.

ScotlandGirl

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:30 AM

Ooh ok, thanks!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic