Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2003 Paper 1 Question 11a) (1) - HSN forum

2003 Paper 1 Question 11a) (1)

4 replies to this topic

#1 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

im stuck in getting the write answer for equation of circle with centre B for part (11) of the question.

I got (x-26)^2 + y^2 = 64 but the actual answer is

(x-24)^2 + y^2 = 64

what am i doing wrong!

help please!!
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#2 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

dude! could u write down the question too.. cos i dont have the past papers and i could help if i knew the question

#3 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

Got it, gimme a sec to draw it out and post it.

#4 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:31 PM

Right, basically the diagram should explain it all.

For the radius of circle B, just subtract the radius of circle A (sq.rt. 25 = 5) from the length of OA (which u calculate as 15), so you get the radius as 8.

For the centre, since the two circles are congruent and given that the broken line through A is the axis of symmetry, length of OA = OB, thus the centre of Circle B from Circle A will be equally distant to the centre of Circle O from Circle A, the latter of which (O to A) is 12 units, so the X coordinate of the centre of B is 24 (12 + 12). Hope that solves it. Cheers smile.gif

#5 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:05 PM

thanks! smile.gif
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users