• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exam. Close Reading. Final question. Poll. Which passage?

Array

herbeey

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

The questions asks you which passage made you think about the implications of a strike on Earth most.
I said passage one; it talked about the implications, thus allowing me to dweel on them. The 2nd passage talked about how likely it was only.

JenniferSHS

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:21 PM

Passage 2 because I felt that it showed how devastating it would be if a comet/asteroid hit, especially through the "it could destroy an area the size of Belgium in one and a half seconds" type stuff.

ermd

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:25 PM

I prefered the more scientific ideas presented in passage one. Whereas passage two was more like: "oMfG!!!1!!1! teh comet is dangerousness!!11!!1 lololol teh bookmaker is a winzor!11!!1"

Ahem

JenniferSHS

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ May 13 2005, 02:25 PM)
I prefered the more scientific ideas presented in passage one. Whereas passage two was more like: "oMfG!!!1!!1! teh comet is dangerousness!!11!!1 lololol teh bookmaker is a winzor!11!!1"

Ahem

View Post

Haha, true - then again it WAS a tabloid....hehe.

ermd

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(JenniferSHS @ May 13 2005, 01:50 PM)
Haha, true - then again it WAS a tabloid....hehe.

View Post

Lol yeah, mentioned that in my answer biggrin.gif Love making snide comments about tabloids.

Another good one was the question about trusting the professor guy - I was sooooo tempted to write that 'cause he was from Ireland I would find it difficult to take him seriously.

JenniferSHS

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

laugh.gif Don't think that would have gone down too well...

lanky_182

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:02 PM

yea
passage 1 i thot wos beter bt hey! its over now... we can breathe a sigh of relief! biggrin.gif

Amna

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:03 PM

i found it hard but went for passage2

Discogirl17

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:33 PM

I think, now don't quote me on this because I didnt actually sit the exam and only had a quick glance at the paper that the answer should go something like this:
If you chose Passage 1:
*Ideas were scientific and factual
*Short sentences focusing on the facts which make the situation scarily real etc
*Passage 2 more emotive and personal to the writer
If you chose Passage 2:
*language more informal
*more colloquial and therefore easier to relate to etc

dfx

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:41 PM

I went for passage 2. Passage 1 was more of the whole evolution thing which really puts you off track. I said, and I quote, "the author of passage 1 seems to be the patron saint of cosmic impact" lol. Yeah I got bored with 10 minutes to spare on the last question so I wrote a good two pages.

I keep looking back at the paper wondering if I've missed out a whole sheet or not *unsure*

Amna

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

I missed two "1mark" questions and still did not have much time sad.gif

dfx

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

Oh, and, I've got to credit HSN for giving me an excellent tip. Someone on here said just read the first passage and then do the relevant questions and then go on to the second passage. I did exactly that, skimmed through the first, did the questions, then read the second along side AS I did the questions. So that really was a time saver. Thanks!

daveyboy

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:43 PM

I think that as long as you justify your answer u can pick either so dont worry bout it.

Discogirl17

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:07 PM

Yeh dfx thats the technique that works and ur welcome, although I'm not sure if it was me who said that! Yes your right daveyboy you can pick either as long as its justified, isn't that what I just said?

drew_jarvie

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

I said that passage one gave the whole asteroid thing in a wider context and gave examples of other means by which our existance could be ended (e.g acid rain etc.) and therefore lets the reader make a valued judgement on it. I also said that he uses the occasional fact but relies mostly on evidence that is unsupported by fact.

I said that the second one was more focused, concerning almost in its entirity the destruction of the earth because of the asteroid. It uses plenty of facts, which lends it a sense of credibility and also includes personal anecdote which also makes it seem more reliable.

I concluded by saying that passage two was best because it was most focused, howvere both had their strong points yadda yadda yadda.

Discogirl17

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:31 PM

Good a concluding sentence, you should always do a concluding sentence

Amna

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

i didn't have time for one sad.gif hmm i hope i pass now

Discogirl17

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

I didnt do one, I still got A! It doesnt really matter, its only if you have time you must do one!

stevon

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

I said passage one, due to the more factual, scientific points that it raised and the fact that, despite its gripping opening, passage two was a collection of other peoples opinions and didn't really arrive with any origional points or inform the reader of the effects on evolution etc.

That was the jist of it, although I wrote enough to make sure I got a full 5/4 marks, just basically picked apart the tabloid peice and said that passage one was just more credible and won, basically through lack of competition tongue.gif

wikked-dfc

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:25 PM

I said passage two because-
-it used other peoples opinions as well as the writers to back him up.
-He used the opinion of an MP which would add weight to the argument for some people since he was a man voted into the Govt. by people because he is trusted and honest(i dont believe it but it sounded good)
-Not as Naming comet makes it seem more real.
-same with date of impact makes it seem more real than the speculation in passage one
-then i added that the style of passage two was much more "reader friendly" and wasn't as downhearted and fact based and formal as the first passage

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic