Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2002 PAPER 1 - HSN forum

2002 PAPER 1

2 replies to this topic

#1 JiLL

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

Heya

This sounds really daft but i have just been working through these past papers and i spent ages trying to work out how to do question 4. I ahve tried various methods but can't seem to get the right answer!!

Any help for this question is much appreciated!

Cheers x
beast

#2 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:13 PM

First of all use the fact that the curve makes an angle of 45 degrees with the +ve direction of the x axis. Use m=tantheta (cannot find symbol!!) to work out that the gradient of the line is 1 (since tan45=1).
Then differentiate your formula getting dy/dx to be 4x - 7. At the point you are looking for, the gradient of the tangent is 1. Since dy/dx is a formula for calculating gradients of tangents, you put 4x - 7 =1 to find the point. Solve this for x getting x=2. Then sub x= 2 into the original equation given in the question to get the y co-ordinate. The answer is (2,4).
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

#3 JiLL

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:28 PM

Thanks!

Yeh it appears to be sooo simple and thank goodness its now clear in my mind!

hehehehe biggrin.gif
beast

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users