Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2001 paper 2 question 11 a - HSN forum

2001 paper 2 question 11 a

6 replies to this topic

#1 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:26 PM

Can anyone help me with part a, I can do 11b, but I have no idea how to do 11a. huh.gif

#2 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics, watching TV, listening to music, shopping

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:45 PM

I struggled with that one too but I got it in the end.
Here's what I done

The equation of a parabola: y= (x-root1)(x-root2)

And you know the roots are: -1, p

So the equation of the Parabola: y= -(x+1)(x-p)

y= -(x power2.gif-px=x-p)
y= -x power2.gif+px-x+p
y=p+(px-x)-x power2.gif
y=p+(p-1)x-x power2.gif

If you need me to explain anything just ask! biggrin.gif

user posted image
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´)¸.•'´)
x..*...x•..•°.Amanda loves Craig•..•°.x...*..x
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`'•.¸)

#3 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:56 PM

That helps a lot, thanks. I understand now. biggrin.gif
Just one question, why is it y= - (x+1)(x-p) and not just y=(x+1)(x-p), I don't understand why there is a minus in front, or am I just being thick? huh.gif

#4 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:00 PM

The sign of x^2 determins whether the parabola is happy or sad shaped... heheh. I can't remember which way it works though, sorry¬
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#5 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics, watching TV, listening to music, shopping

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

Lol! No your not think I didn't even know the formula till yesterday! unsure.gif

It has a negative at the start because the graph is negative. The way I'v been taught to remember it is that if the graph looks like a smiley face then it positive if it looks like a sad face then its negative!!!

user posted image
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´)¸.•'´)
x..*...x•..•°.Amanda loves Craig•..•°.x...*..x
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`'•.¸)

#6 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:07 PM

I get it. Because the parabola is sad, it is a minus. And if it was happy it would be positive. wacko.gif
I havn't done parabolas in a while, could you tell? huh.gif unsure.gif
Thanks for the help! LOL

#7 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(oddbins @ Apr 6 2005, 03:07 PM)
I get it. Because the parabola is sad, it is a minus. And if it was happy it would be positive. wacko.gif
I havn't done parabolas in a while, could you tell?   huh.gif  unsure.gif
Thanks for the help! LOL

View Post

Yup that's correct. Check out the Polynomials and Quadratics download on page 6. smile.gif

So, the following parabola is +ve (i.e 'happy):

user posted image

And the following parabola is -ve (i.e 'sad'):

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users