• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Undesireable subjects. The subjects uni's don't give any credit

Terrence

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

x

Acaila

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:26 PM

Before I dropped AH Computing I had two exams/three papers on the same day! wacko.gif My best friend (the one I mentioned who got 74% on his theory) still has Higher Mod Studs and Higher Computing on that day, a day off, then drama. But he doesn't need any of them for uni - lucky sod!
So far I've gone through Antigone, Passing Places, and half of Outlying Islands looking up quotes. Still to do The Steamie (one I really need to study most) and Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (which is not so urgent, and I think I've lost my script, but it is fortunately my own script). I'll do hopefully at least one practice timed essay for each part. Timing is usually where I fall down, as in my last Contemp. Scottish essay I only got two plays in because I ran over in my Antigone essay. How many plays do you usually refer to in that question?

Terrence

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:08 AM

x

dfx

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

Sorry to burst the drama bubble but back on topic. I was just looking through the Strathclyde prospectus and in the entry requirements general info page it has a small section saying relevancy of subjects to the course is preferred.

Acaila

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(tuppence @ May 28 2005, 12:08 PM)
I still haven't done any revision :/ I've been too busy doing other stuff (such as shopping - I'm a great student, me).

We've been told to have two main plays to refer to in our answers and then at the end bring in another few references to other plays. So I usually refer to three, and then maybe add in another wee bit about something else.

I don't know if that made any sense, I'm still half asleep sad.gif

View Post

{continues hijacking}

I think if I'm really pushed for time I'll only refer to two main plays. Just a case of dealing with them in the right order I reckon (some I can say more about than others).
I've done no revision for drama since last Saturday (unless you count reciting my Antigone scene in the shower to check I still know it revision). Got Modern Studies on Monday which I need an A in so I have to study pretty hard this weekend sad.gif. So long as I get time to go over the Steamie I'll be happy though I think smile.gif

Terrence

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

x

Acaila

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:56 PM

I got a middle of the road B in the prelim, and need an A for uni. Admittedly I hadn't even started studying one of the units, and my teacher is apparently a hideously notorious marker (he gave a 20/20 example report from the SQA 15/20!!!) so fingers crossed I'll make it. Though I've admittedly only done one essay since the prelim and that was a slightly untimed NAB dry.gif
Practice essays are therefore the object of tomorrow....my knuckles seem sore at the mention!
I think I might stay at school after the mod studs exam to study in the library for drama. Practice essays might not go amiss in that either..... I would have done much more for drama this week if I didn't need modern studies sad.gif Stupid conditional offer! Speaking of which, what are you planning to do next year?

A Higher Drama forum would be a great idea actually....they can have all my essays if they want biggrin.gif

echoes

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Acaila @ May 23 2005, 03:30 PM)
Art is just for kids who think they're cool to swan around and hang out in art rooms rather than in the common room.  Snobs!  biggrin.gif

View Post

Nah, us art dudettes and dudes aren't really snobbish... honest cool.gif.
We're just uber cool, that's all smile.gif

QUOTE(Acaila @ May 28 2005, 11:56 PM)
A Higher Drama forum would be a great idea actually....

View Post

*coughs* So would a Higher Art forum... and an Advanced Higher Art one too ph34r.gif

Terrence

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

x

Acaila

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:59 PM

Heya tuppence
The exam really couldn't have been much better for my class as far as essays went. We could have probably done any of the text in a theatrical context questions: the opening scene of Antigone is cool, the whole play is about Antigone being a rebel chick and other characters conforming to the society, there's reams of conflict in several scenes and especially in the one I did for my acting exam, and visual images could be done if you had a decent director's concept. I really was spoilt for choice, and actually left this essay til last to decide between doing it on Antigone being rebellious or on the conflict scene, eventually picking the conflict scene purely because I know my acting exam scene off by heart and it would be easier for quotes. I also have slight preference toward "as a director" questions because I find it more difficult to explain how I act. I managed to work in stuff we'd done during the rehearsal process, basically a written version of how we rehearsed my scene, which was probably quite easy in the end.
Our dramatic commentary was an interesting choice - the first time I've seen them use a sizeable speech. It was a scene a couple of guys in my class did for the acting exam, so I could see some of the moves and such in my head, and my groundplan has always been a 4/4 thing thankfully. Managed to get some cool technical things in with silhouettes and stuff so that should be good smile.gif.
Scottish contemporary - I did the question on gender inequality on Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The Steamie and Outlying Islands. Basically I took each play and said "this is how the portray women, this is how they portray men, how they're not equal, but women do this so they're just as strong after all". Was actually scarily well structured for an essay of mine biggrin.gif I've had pretty decent marks for Scottish contemp, even when I've ran out of time, so I'm hopeful for that.
Overall, it was a great Antigone essay, and the other two bits were pretty darn good.

However....
I got home, and realised that I'd not put question numbers in the margin like you're supposed to. My mum, who's a teacher, initially said that the markers would assume I'd answered the first question in both sections and mark it accordingly. She's since retracted that and said if my introduction was clear they'll let me off with it, but I'm totally panicking about it now! I phoned my tutor to tell her how it went, and didn't have the guts to tell her, because she was so nervous on our behalfs and I'd cheered her up by being so happy with the paper. I'm quite petrified now sad.gif

Modern Studies was pretty good, only waffled in one essay smile.gif And if I get my grades I'm going to Durham to do Combined Honours in Social Sciences, if not Abertay to do Computer Games Technology. But I'm not so keen on Abertay because they don't have a drama soc and I don't want to have to set my own one up biggrin.gif I would though if it came to that biggrin.gif You going to carry on with drama?

broxibabi

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

I hate how Drama is so easily disregarded. I think people just base their opinions of Drama on the 3rd and 4th yr course which,lets face it,is very simple in comparison to Higher. Having 45minutes to write 20 points with evidence and explination on gender issues(such as inequality),social conditions and nostalgia in at least 2 plays,but recommended to use 3 is quite difficult! And essays on The Crucible and such can sometimes be similar to what you would write in English. I think people should have a look at whats expected of the students before they make judgements.

Moniker42

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

How about Glasgow Caledonian?

I'm hoping to do a course in computer games development there.. starting september 07 methinks =) rolleyes.gif

Here's what i think i got in 5th year... (i'll get my results in August this year)
Higher English - C/D
Higher Maths - B
Higher Tech Studies - C
Higher Computing - B/C
Intermediate 2 Physics - A

And in 6th year i'm sitting...
Advanced Higher Computing
Higher Philosophy
Higher History
Higher Physics

I'm really concentrating on computing this year, if i get a B in that, then i should get into a computing related course no bother wink.gif ... right? huh.gif sad.gif
I hear they're not too particular about having your highers over 2/3 sittings, unlike Glasgow University and Strathclyde University.

loved-up-loon

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(broxibabi @ Jun 5 2005, 12:32 PM) View Post

I hate how Drama is so easily disregarded. I think people just base their opinions of Drama on the 3rd and 4th yr course which,lets face it,is very simple in comparison to Higher. Having 45minutes to write 20 points with evidence and explination on gender issues(such as inequality),social conditions and nostalgia in at least 2 plays,but recommended to use 3 is quite difficult! And essays on The Crucible and such can sometimes be similar to what you would write in English. I think people should have a look at whats expected of the students before they make judgements.

I totally agree with you, all you get is "ohh drama, thats an easy subject ill take that as a skive" but it really isnt easy!Two essays and a dramatic commentry in two and a half hours is much harder than people think. Plus you have to learn so much, eg social, gender, political and religious backgrounds from about 3 or 4plays and thats only for the Scottish part! The acting exam is very nerve wracking (it was for me anyway) and its 40%(I think) of your overall grade!

Heres hoping I passed!

Joel

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(Moniker42 @ Jun 26 2006, 02:37 PM) View Post
How about Glasgow Caledonian?

I'm hoping to do a course in computer games development there.. starting september 07 methinks =) rolleyes.gif
Cool. I take it you want to go to Caledonian because its closest to where you live? If you're serious about studying games, Abertay offer some of the best courses in this subject. Otherwise, another route into the games industry would be through studying Computer Science.

QUOTE(Moniker42 @ Jun 26 2006, 02:37 PM) View Post
I'm really concentrating on computing this year, if i get a B in that, then i should get into a computing related course no bother wink.gif ... right? huh.gif sad.gif
Yeah, you should get in to most Universities with that. I got a B for Computing last year and didn't have any difficulty getting into the course I wanted.

st-and Paul

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

Just a quick point that for most computing related courses a good Higher Maths is essential to gurantee a place on the course. I had to get at least a B in my Mathematics to get into St Andrews. (If i hadnt then I could have got in but would have made my first year akward).

Dave

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

yeh having a goood grade in the subject area you want to study at uni will not get you into the course. You need to have 4 good highers at least. Well, for most uni's worth your presence anyway tongue.gif

st-and Paul

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 26 2006, 09:10 PM) View Post

yeh having a goood grade in the subject area you want to study at uni will not get you into the course. You need to have 4 good highers at least. Well, for most uni's worth your presence anyway tongue.gif

Tho most uni's tend to manage to weed out the people who are quite near the borderline by the time it comes to honours, if they have struggled and not worked enough.

Moniker42

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:07 PM

Yea Caledonian asks for ABB at higher (including maths and computing)

I er.. me and maths don't get along to well ;p
and that's nothing compared to how badly i got on with my maths TEACHER - if you met him, you'd know what i mean... *restraint*

I worked pretty hard on it, had a tutor 2 hours a week for months and everythang - so if i don't get at least a B then i'm probably too stupid anyway >.<

babeasc

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(Acaila @ May 23 2005, 03:30 PM) View Post
QUOTE(tuppence @ Apr 30 2005, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Apr 25 2005, 04:15 PM)
The business school is Strathclyde has a list of preffered highers. This list does not include PE/Art but does include Admin and Drama. I suppose its all subjective which courses are good and which are not.

Conclusive proof that Drama is far better than Art.

[No, honestly, there's no rivalry or petty hatred between the Drama and the Art students at my school. And honestly I'm not a bitter Drama kid who resents the Art kids for always getting to the lifts first wink.gif]
View Post

Essays and such from Higher Drama are probably even more scary than Higher English essays. Referring to multiple texts, and the questions being about things like social change and gender issues and that requires a good deal of maturity. As well as the wider reading, confidence and all that you get from it. Plus you're likely to get involved with the drama scene at uni and they'd probably like that.
Art is just for kids who think they're cool to swan around and hang out in art rooms rather than in the common room. Snobs! biggrin.gif

This is all so true lol ;D
x

Discogirl17

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

Can i just say that the last post is not entirely accurate. Art is good, just not preferred when you want to study business. Drama is preferred because business is a performance e.g. negotiation and presentations.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic