Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
That was ok - HSN forum - Page 2

That was ok

36 replies to this topic

#21 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 14 2004, 07:25 PM)

The examiners do not like Assisi and Visiting Hour as it is over-used in Scottish schools. Mainly so many students will do it and with such similar responses. the key is to be original and unique with your writing and ideas. Nevertheless I wrote on Visiting Hour last year and achieved an A.

I think it is very unfair of the examiners to give you a lower mark for your essay just because the poem is over-done.

Surely the mark will depend on the quality and relevance of the answer given and it shouldn't depend on the popularity of the poem used.

Also I think that question would be OK for Visiting Hour if you mentioned the point that the poet potrays the situation in a light-hearted tone and adds humour at the start. And then it gets more serious and so on...

If only I had noticed that in the exam.

#22 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:19 PM

Ally sure if you have a copy of the paper, it was a year ago and I can't remember.

I know it's unfair but unless you produce an original response you aren't going to score highly as the examiners see the same responses over and over again. Don't worry about it though.

#23 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:24 PM

You seem to know quite a lot about English James! Would you say my essay was ok that I did?

I did it on Journey of the Magi, and the Q was " A poem in which the passing of time is significant" ie :- he is retelling the story of his journey some considerable time after the event, which shows how much he has been affected by it etc...
Mark

#24 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

Okay, I'm gonna put everyone out of their misery - here were the actual questions:

SECTION A - DRAMA

Choose a play in which your attitude to a central character varies at different stages of the action. Show how the skill of the dramatist causes your attitude to change. IYAYMRCTTTATALTO: characterisation, language, key scene(s), setting, OAOAF.

Choose a play in which he dramatist explores the idea of rebellion against authority. Explain briefly the circumstances which give rise to the rebellion and discuss how successfully you think the dramatist explores the idea. IYAYMRCTTTATALTO: theme, soliloquy, conflict, characterisation, OAOAF.

Choose a play in which there is a scene involving intense emotion. Show how the dramatist makes you aware of the intensity of the emotion in the scene and discuss the importance of the scene to the drama as a whole. IYAYMRCTTTATALTO: conflict, characterisation, soliloquy, dialogue, OAOAF.

Choose a play which you have read and watched in performance. Compare your reading of a key scene with its presentation in performance. IYAYMRCTTTATALTO: dialogue, characterisation, casting, stage set, OAOAF.

SECTION B - PROSE

Choose a novel in which your admiration for a particular character grows as the plot unfolds. Explain briefly why your admiration increases, and, in more detail, discuss how the writer achieves this. IYAYMRCTTTATALTO: characterisation, theme, key incidents, structure, OAOAF.

Choose a novel or short story in which the writer's use of setting in time and/or place has a significant part to play in your appreciation of the text as a whole. Give the relevant details of te setting and then discuss fully why it has such significance. IYAYMRCTTTATALTO: setting, narrative stance, theme, characterisation, structure, OAOAF.

Choose a novel which had such an impact on you that you still reflect upon its message. Explain why the novel has had such an impact on you. IYAYMRCTTTATALTO: theme, key incidents, characterisation, structure, OAOAF.

Choose a novel or short story which reaches a climax which you find dramatic or moving or disturbing. Explain how the writer achieves this effect and discuss how it contributes to your appreciation of the text as a whole. IYAYMRCTTTATALTO: structure, theme, characterisation, dialogue, OAOAF.

Choose a non-fiction text in which the writer puts forward an opinion which you found totally convincing. Explain what the writer's view is and, in more detail, discuss how this view was presented in a way that convinced you. IYAYMRCTTTATALTO: ideas, evidence, stance, style, OAOAF.

Choose a non-fiction text which increased your interest in a particular leisure activity. Give a brief description of the activity and explain, in more detail, what it was about the writer's presentation of it that captured your interest. IYAYMRCTTTALTO: choice of detail, anecdote, language, structure, OAOAF.

Choose a non-fiction text in which the writer's ability to evoke a sense of place is very important to the success of the text. Show how the writer's presentation of the location(s) enhanced your appreciation of the text. IYAYMRCTTTALTO: setting, anecdote, stance, mood, OAOAF.

SECTION C - POETRY

Choose a poem in which the poet explores the significance of the passage of time. Explain why the passage of time is significant in this poem and discuss the means by which the poet explores its significance. IYAYMRCTTTALTO: mood, form, theme, imagery, OAOAF.

Choose two love poems. By comparing the treatment of the subject in each poem, discuss which you find more successful. IYAYMRCTTTALTO: structure, word choice, imagery, sound, OAOAF.

Choose a poem in which a chance encounter or seemingly unimportant incident acquires increased significance by the end of the poem. Show how the poet's development of the encounter or incident leads you to a deeper understanding of the poem's theme. IYAYMRCTTTALTO: theme, atmosphere, word choice, rhythm, OAOAF.

Choose a poem in which the poet creates a picture of a heroic or corrupt figure. Discuss the means by which their personality is clearly depicted. IYAYMRCTTTALTO: imagery, tone, rhyme, word choice, OAOAF.

I've only typed Sections A-C since they are the most commonly used ones - in fact, our school discourages us to use Section D or E (we're not given them in Prelims).
user posted image
user posted image

#25 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:27 PM

I only learnt 2 poems for the exam. I had a pick of 4 - I picked 2 which there weren't really questions for. Slightly depressing...

But I tried a longshot. The poem 'old woman' by Iain Crighton Smith - i used the question about a corrupt character.

I tried to make god out to be corrupt for abandoning the poor old woman and letting her suffer. My line of thought was reasonable, and I enjoyed writing it - but i'm ***ed for marks with it.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#26 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:27 PM

Looks promising.

Plus I think it is a relatively new text used in for critical essays which will introduce new ideas to the examiner. If the language aspects of your essay such as technical accuracy (which is a common let-down for students) is good it has a potential to do well! wink.gif

Best of luck for your results.

Let me know how you get on.

#27 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:32 PM

Not to sound too desperate! but does journey of the magi (i commented above) sound any good! I will stop worrying when I realise that what I have written could actually be used to answer that question.

Thanks
Mark

#28 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:35 PM

It's difficult to say. But it is a good choice and it is likely you will have done well if you chose this.

See my post above.

#29 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:42 PM

Hi there

Thought this year close reading paper was more interesting than last years. As for the essays.....

I did Q1 for "A Doll's House" by Henrik Ibsen although Q3 and 4 could have been used (I couldn't do 4 as I hadn't seen either production in Edinburgh or Glasgow sad.gif .)

I used and twisted slightly Q12 for "The Horses" by Edwin Muir.

I just waffled my way through A Doll's House and tried my best with The Horses. Is it wise to end an essay with a question? If not, too late to do anything now biggrin.gif

#30 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:43 PM

I did Question 3, for Romeo and Juliet (Act 3 scene 1) - felt OK, I managed to get pretty much everything in, all the themes, just felt that my structure was lacking.

Did Question 12 for The Horses - felt like I had a more solid structure for it, and felt like it was a fairly good essay.

I'm not particularly brilliant at the essays, I hope to get around 32/33 marks overall, and a high 30 for the close reading.

#31 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:45 PM

not sure if its tragic to do so but i don't think that was the point of the exercise the idea was they asked you a question and you spent 4 pages on an answer not handing the marker a question back but like i said its not a big deal i think

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#32 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:53 PM

Dave, as I mentioned before the admin of the site prefer only certain questions being asked at a time, rather than producing a document with all answers. I have to wait until they get permission from the SQA.

#33 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:54 AM

Well i did the heroic figure on Frida Kahlo comes to dinner and the setting one in prose on Empire of the Sun. However, I am gutted that questions on my 1st and 2nd choice poems didnt come up! I see now I could have done the "passage of time " one on Daddy however the arguement would be so weak its unbelievable. I mean it is absolutely clear that the passage of time is not important at all in that poem except in the fact that she still displays childish notions and vocab and therefore the passage of time has not helped her overcome her grief.. still I couldn't have done that one- there's only so much you can say on the words "gobbledygoo" and "achoo"! If anyone did Daddy in the essay questions in the exam please tell me how you managed it cos my "5 A Student" friend couldn't even do it and she got 2 25s when she does timed essays inside 1hr 30 mins in the prelims and in class !
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#34 Jonathan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:03 PM

Well i did "Heroic Character" for Frida Kahlo Comes To Dinner and I choose Night Gemoetry and The Garscadden Trains for the "Climax" question.

I found the close reading ok and the teacher said that we have done harder ones, so im fairly happy. I didnt even look at Daddy when i seen the heroic character, i just went with Frida Kahlo. Although someone i know done Daddy on the corrupt character, how the persona portrays her father as corrupt.
Jesus Is Coming. Look Busy!

#35 Jane1987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:03 PM

Was I the only one who found that close reading hard!!?? Well, i duno, i think it was more the fact I ran completely out of time! I was nowhere near finished! I'm hoping my critical essay grades will bring me up to a B. I dont find english hard at all but ive recently discovered I am soo rubbish at understanding questions, which is stupid right? cos theyre meant to be the easiest!! but I just keep writing and writing to make sure theyve got my point so they'll give me the point!! So I panicked, rushed passage 2, and will be very luky if I do infact get a B.

I thought the essay questions were fine. Well, i did a short story and R+J, anyone in my class doing poetry would have found it very hard!! I'm glad I didn't bother learning any poems!!!

#36 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:44 PM

actually i found after getting so focused tutian that i was having problem with understanding questions as well basically because i wasn't taking information from the passage as i read it. i think i have fixed the problem becasue i feel thats what was holding me back but i will find out aug 10th like everyone else

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#37 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Dave @ May 17 2004, 06:44 PM)
actually i found after getting so focused tutian that i was having problem with understanding questions as well basically because i wasn't taking information from the passage as i read it. i think i have fixed the problem becasue i feel thats what was holding me back but i will find out aug 10th like everyone else

August 10th? Never knew that! cheers.

I honestly did think the close reading was the best. It just suited me perfectly. Essay questions however did not!

But yes, I shouldn't be so confident.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users