Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
That was ok - HSN forum

That was ok

36 replies to this topic

#1 bouncy_bendy_lion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:16 PM

What did everyone think? I think it was ok.

The close reading paper was alot easier than those in the past papers.

Great questions came up for the stuff I learned (I did visiting hour for the poetry, and the telegram for the prose)

Hope everyone got an A!

#2 .: G-Unit :.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:18 PM

Hey,

I thought it was ok too - what question did you do visiting hour for ? as I did visiting hour too .

#3 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:39 PM

You'd struggle to commplain about that - it seemed pretty fair. I did OK in both papers I reckon smile.gif

#4 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:19 PM

The questions for DEATH OF A SALESMAN were poor. I eventually did number 3, as number 1 was completely useless in my view. Number 4 belonged in mass-media or a higher media paper and not in the higher english paper - i think it was a pathetic excuse for a question - it's higher english, how are we supposed to contrast the lighting aspects and other dramatic effects when we haven't learned about this!

Number 13 on the poetry section was okay, but I had only 'really' revised one poem, and having to pluck LEMONADE from the back of my mind took some time.

Paper 1 in my view was excellent, although passage 2 confused me a bit - i couldnt figure out what her PoV was in any great detail.

All in all I hope I got a B for the papers, but I sincerely doubt it - things dont work out the way I want them to most of the time. Hope everyone else did well.
user posted image
user posted image

#5 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:25 PM

I wanted to do Death Of A Salesman but the questions were crap, i was going 2 try question 3 or summin about emotion, but i just tht screw it and did question 12 on poetry.

`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#6 Guest_Iain_*

• Guests

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:19 PM

I liked the Close Reading passage. I had plenty time to answer the evaluation question. Go passage 1! Where I've probably lost marks is giving one mark answers to two mark analysis questions or for two mark write in your own words.

I answered question 7 in the Critical Essay paper on 1984.
I did my second essay on question 1. I talked about how my opinion of Biff changes throughout Death of a Salesman and how that illuminates some theme or something.

I'd learnt all those poems for nothing! The questions just didn't seem amazing in that section.

I think I done* well. However, August will tell!

* I'm allowed to not say "did" here! Gimme a break! Sheesh!

#7 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (.: G-Unit :. @ May 14 2004, 01:18 PM)

I thought it was ok too - what question did you do visiting hour for ? as I did visiting hour too .

What question did you do on Visiting Hour?

I felt as though all questions somewhat avoided the poem which is quite bad because if I thought a question could be answered on V.S I would have done very well! (the notes on the site are great).

#8 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE ($impl¥_®i¢h @ May 14 2004, 02:25 PM)
I wanted to do Death Of A Salesman but the questions were crap, i was going 2 try question 3 or summin about emotion, but i just tht screw it and did question 12 on poetry.

I can't say I agree!

I think all of the questions could have been answered on D.O.A.S. I answered question 3 which was very similiar to a past paper about a key scene so I am very happy about that. Also I think they put that question in because the D.O.A.S play has been on recently in theatres so maybe that was the reason - though I have to admit it was a very cruel question.

#9 .: G-Unit :.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:29 PM

I struggled to twist the question for visiting hour ,

I have the paper at home but cant find itatm , but the question was along the lines of ,

A poem where the poet faces an incident which creates a certain theme , show how the theme is fully developed by the end of the poem .

I structured my essay by saying how the first few verses give a subtle idea of the theme (seeing the corpse etc) but then at the end of the poem the theme is fully developed in the way that the womans condition is described , and the "fruitless fruits , books that wont be read etc .

Were you the same ? Do you think my idea seems ok ? blink.gif

#10 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:20 PM

I done Journey of the Magi for poetry q12 in which passing of time is important, as this emphasises his dillema?

Anyone else do this?
Mark

#11 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (.: G-Unit :. @ May 14 2004, 04:29 PM)
I struggled to twist the question for visiting hour ,

I have the paper at home but cant find itatm , but the question was along the lines of ,

A poem where the poet faces an incident which creates a certain theme , show how the theme is fully developed by the end of the poem.

Are you sure that this was the question because I can't remember it?

I can't recall it being this, but if it was I'm really gutted because I think I could have written a good essay on that.

#12 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:32 PM

Choose a poem in which a chance encounter or a seemingly unimportant incident acquires increased significance by the end of the poem

Show how the poet's development of the encounter or the incident leads you to a deeper understanding of the poem's theme

In your answer you should refer to the text and too at least two of : theme, atmosphere, rhythm, or any other appropriate feature.

I think this is the question, I hope this clears it up! tongue.gif
Mark

#13 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (sparky @ May 14 2004, 05:32 PM)
Choose a poem in which a chance encounter or a seemingly unimportant incident acquires increased significance by the end of the poem

Show how the poet's development of the encounter or the incident leads you to a deeper understanding of the poem's theme

In your answer you should refer to the text and too at least two of : theme, atmosphere, rhythm, or any other appropriate feature.

I think this is the question, I hope this clears it up! tongue.gif

I done the first one, Q 12 for In The Snack Bar.

#14 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:38 PM

hey guys! yeh thats more or less the question, cos i did it! I did Ambulances by Larkin cos o the inicial incident of the arrival of the ambulance.

anyone do Sense and Sensibility for any of the essays? I used it for number 5.

Gill x
user posted image

#15 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (thebizwiz @ May 14 2004, 02:19 PM)
Number 4 belonged in mass-media or a higher media paper and not in the higher english paper - i think it was a pathetic excuse for a question - it's higher english, how are we supposed to contrast the lighting aspects and other dramatic effects when we haven't learned about this!

Strange. We learned about lighting, stage areas, etc. when we learned about drama. Surely knowing how the dramatist manipulates the stage is all part of understanding how they emphasise important details?

Although, saying that I don't recall reading Question 4 in all that much detail [I did Q1] so it may well have been a very unfair question.

@

#16 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:47 PM

I'm not sure about doing Visiting Hour for that one. Isn't his visit very important to him?

Although I think if you twisted it suitably you would have done fine.

#17 .: G-Unit :.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:14 PM

Yes it is important for him , but it is the reader who at first may not realise its full importance (shes dying)

What Q Did you do ?

#18 .: G-Unit :.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:16 PM

Its the Q highlighted in blue in this post that I did , now that you see the question in full , it should make my answer seem right/suitable ? wacko.gif

#19 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (ally @ May 14 2004, 06:47 PM)
I'm not sure about doing Visiting Hour for that one. Isn't his visit very important to him?

Although I think if you twisted it suitably you would have done fine.

The visit is important in the sense the he comes to a realisation at the end that he may never communicate to her (as portrayed through the imagery) and that she is in fact dying (oxymoron etc).

It would be easy to compose a weak response on the importance of the visit, though I could see a good arguement through the importance of grieving (dizzly goes off...etc).

The examiners do not like Assisi and Visiting Hour as it is over-used in Scottish schools. Mainly so many students will do it and with such similar responses. the key is to be original and unique with your writing and ideas. Nevertheless I wrote on Visiting Hour last year and achieved an A.

#20 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:01 PM

What question did you use last year for Visiting Hour?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users