• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pressure to goto Uni

kirsty1988

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:21 PM

I'm sick of all my teachers, the school infact of pushing me to go to Uni and get a degree etc. Maybe I'd like to goto college instead, or not atall. It seems to me that everyone is being pressured to go to Uni even when they might not be capable or really up for it! Whats wrong with going into the trades and getting aprenticeships etc.

The impression they give is that if I don't, I'll never amount to anything in my life and I'll become a bum. Well what a narrow-minded view that is!

I'm quite irritated by the attitudes of the school and the big "obvious" decision to goto Uni! mad.gif

Dave

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:37 PM

i agree many people are going to uni who just dont have it. However, i do think that intelligent people like yourself really should go to university, in todays society if you dont have a degree you are closing a lot of doors for yourself, many because so many people have them.

I know they say there is a shortage in the trades but what happens when thats filled you will all be working for tuppence in an attempt to get work, whereas there will always be work in offices and business

kirsty1988

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 28 2005, 09:37 PM)
i agree many people are going to uni who just dont have it. However, i do think that intelligent people like yourself really should go to university, in todays society if you dont have a degree you are closing a lot of doors for yourself, many because so many people have them.

I know they say there is a shortage in the trades but what happens when thats filled you will all be working for tuppence in an attempt to get work, whereas there will always be work in offices and business

View Post

We will always need tradesmen, and they like to completely rip off their customers too! If I was a boy, I'd be right in there. Unfortunately I'm not practical when it comes to that career type. Yes, I guess there are always offcie jobs going to be about....

Dave

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:50 PM

yes we will always need tradesmen but there is a saturation point where each tradesman cannot make any money and you only make money in that line of work if ou gamble on going it alone. Whereas, i could work for a software house in glasgow nicely earning £35000 a year with little stress of my business, house, family and self respect going down the loo

Lesley

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:18 PM

my friends had the same sorta problem. she really wants to go into beauty therapy at college, it's what she's good at, she's interested in and has her mind set on it. during the whole ucas thing teachers, advisors etc were trying to get her to go to uni when they knew fine well she didn't want that! they send her to the careers advisor who told her to forget what the teachers etc were saying as she knows what she wants to do, not the teachers. they were basically trying to bully her into doing something she didnt want to.

Dave

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:33 PM

they aren't bullying they are trying to make her understand she has talent that would make her perfect for university

Lesley

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:40 PM

maybe she is eprfect for university, but that's not the point. the point is she knows what she wants to do and that's beauty therapy. whats the point going to university and studying something, because she's perfect for it, and hating every single moment of it.

Kevin_Kilbane

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:09 PM

Do what your heart tells you.

If you have the grades you can always go for the apprenticeship then if it isnt working decide to go to Uni later on.

I am going to Uni because I like everything about it - the course, the Uni and the social life.

Yes, going to Uni might get you a better salarly but whats the point in sitting in a job for 40 years of your life completely unhappy and wasting your life when you HAD the choice to do what you really wanted to.

Dave - she might get the money/comfortable life but is it what she really wants?

superstar

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:06 PM

I agree that there is too much pressure put on people to go to uni!

And there is this myth tht goes around tht if you go to college or into a trade etc then you are not clever and not as good as people that go to uni.

This is nonsense we need these people for our country to function as much as we need graduates.

Every1 has skills to contribute and every1 should be allowed to contribute them without judgement

Dave

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:47 PM

hey i dont care what people do but i feel that its a shame when academic people dont have the ambition to want to go to university

Kevin_Kilbane

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

Thats crap.

Just because someone goes to Uni and gets a degree doesn't mean they will automatically get a job. Infact, someone could get a trade and get a job more easily than a graduate depending on the the course he she done and where.

Have you thought that not everyone is happy at Uni? Ive got a friend who is doing a trade right now and says if it doesnt work he will go to Uni. People do what they are most happy at. You and I might not be happy doing a trade but Kirsty might be and her happiness/enjoyment/satisfaction is all that matters.

Lesley

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:36 PM

she does have ambition though! her ambition is to become a beauty therapist. jsut because she doesn't want to become a brain surgeon doesn't mean she lacks ambition.

Dave

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:41 PM

this is difficult to explain right but what i am saying is that perhaps who could go to uni and prosper aren't going because its not the done thing...a similar thing is a common problem with my school although its on which level people want to sit at

Kevin_Kilbane

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:23 PM

Its happines whats important.

If Kirsty isnt happy at Uni, she shouldn't go. You and I are happy going, hence why we are going.

As for the in thing. These people stupid? When they leave schol they won't see half these people again.

broughy

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:19 PM

but thats not the case with this friend of lesley's - i don't know personally who it is, but having had experience at the same school, i can vouch for the fact that it very much is the done thing to go to uni.

kirsty1988

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Mar 1 2005, 06:19 PM)
but thats not the case with this friend of lesley's - i don't know personally who it is, but having had experience at the same school, i can vouch for the fact that it very much is the done thing to go to uni.

View Post

I wish that schools would show us all the options instead of drawing big arrows to University lol dry.gif

Discogirl17

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:15 PM

You know it is happiness which is key. But if your really academic and want to follow a more practical trade then there are ways to do what you want whilst still keeping your fantastic brain alive to help others. You need to remember that some trades and the courses which correspond to them at college have reached saturation point eg hairdressing and as a result starting your own business or finding jobs in these fields will be quite hard. Now if you go to uni and do a business degree or to college and do an entrepreneurship course then you will have more skills to create your own jobs and for interviews. You can also do these courses part-time and therefore can do the job you love whilst doing study.

Dave

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:36 PM

i think schools do show you all the options. The careers advisor is the person who does this. We had talks on getting a job, apprentenceship and college. The reason i dont like these advisors is because thats all they know about they had no clue about uni or courses!!

Icemaiden

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

My school doesn't pressure you to go if you don't want to.My PSE class there is only about 4 or 5 out of 20 that want to go.

Huggles

Ice Maiden

superstar

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:58 PM

Yeah wen it comes down to it happiness is the most important thing it life and if you dont have that then wots the point?

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic